Garage find Capri

trigger

That looks like a great project, very good condition and a good investment. No way youre going to lose on that, even if you paid someone else to do all the work I reckon youd still be in the green.

I remember these last of the line Laser models really well. I'm sure they also came in a burgundy colour too?

So my mate in his excitement wanted to check if the engine was seized or not, so we pulled the plugs out, poured some WD40 down the pours got my big breaker bar on the crank and gently rocked it, it was tight at first which was a worry but then it started to move, result! my mate said the pistons were going up and down freely so that was good news, unfortunately though what i hadn't realised is that whilst the bottom was turning, the belt had stripped its teeth and the top wasn't! Thank god these are non-interreference engines!

IMG_20220902_210806.thumb.jpg.d5bfbcaa345f0c7c9f5d854092a92523.jpg

What i hadn't noticed was that the alloy water pump and thermostat housing had badly corroded and all fallen inside the pulleys jamming them up! so it all got striped down, completely cleaned up, everything replaced and new belt fitted

IMG_20220909_160352.thumb.jpg.87b047673da9a1e240e10437b3fb513a.jpg

IMG_20220909_180511.thumb.jpg.c74c3233381f0bb10cf21e192bcf6129.jpg

IMG_20220917_195244.thumb.jpg.904a393551ab7eb7d8ab069c08675459.jpg

Whilst i waited for parts to arrive i made a start cleaning the interior which was quite mouldy and musty

IMG_20220902_201515.thumb.jpg.9f6cc3f58d9a8822f7646337e0e25dab.jpg

IMG_20220902_201527.thumb.jpg.d617073973b1bf972b0c537987511246.jpg

IMG_20220920_152557.thumb.jpg.9c22819f7f7eaba4f5af4fd18fdc7fdb.jpg

Shame about the seat wear, the head rests are a later story but i never did find the originals!

Thanks for sharing. I've a lasting memory from around 1986 when my father dropped his Orion to the local Ford dealership for some work. His loan car was a virtually new Capri 2.8 injection on a D plate like yours. Similar metallic blue too. 

He collected me in it after I'd stayed at a mate's place overnight. As a car mad eleven year old, the Capri was an instant winner for me! 

Great to see such an original looking car and looking forward to hearing what happens next. 

Fab work trigger, looks a really good solid and original car.

My mate used to have a 2.0 laser, exactly the same as yours which was a one owner car, well looked after and very solid and original. Sadly he didn’t look after it very well and after a few years it began to look quite sorry for itself. A shame really but luckily he sold it as he couldn’t afford to keep running it and it went to someone who restored it. 
We used to take his and my mk2 out for drives together on weekends. That 2.0 pinto with the twin Weber on his laser used to leave my 1.6 for dead!

Anyway, great to see a thread on this beauty, always enjoyed reading your threads and seeing your handiwork.

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

I remember these last of the line Laser models really well. I'm sure they also came in a burgundy colour too?

Indeed, that would be Regency Red. :)

I’d definitely find a timing belt cover, I can’t remember last time I saw a 1.6/2.0 pinto with the belt cover on! Great work though. Probably at least £2-3k up already there. 

Looks fantastic, really original. You see so many that are over done but that looks useable. Final bit of advice keep it locked away as these seem to attract theft. Stating the obvious there but it’s a point worth hammering home. 

I used to love seeing capris about, these Lasers plus the “s” models ; I nearly bought one for £500 off (the recently deceased) bob of bobs affordable classics in knowle, in about 2004

Sadly they are just too expensive and a theft target for me to have some fun with them but it’s lovely to read about you resurrecting this one, what a great find!

35 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

That looks great! Keep us posted.

PS - I’ve never driven a Capri, can anyone tell me what they’re like?

I’ve only ever driven one. A 2.8 special. It was very tail end happy which is cool, but the rest of it was a bit wallowy and unstable. May have just been “that” car. Much prefer to drive my manta. 😁

6 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

They aren't in the least bit sporty,but a great cruiser,surprisingly comfortable too.

I agree with this, my sister had a 1978 T reg 2.0 GL Capri and that rode just like a Cortina, but you seemed to sit lower in the car and the bonnet was obv longer.