Farina saved

bigstraight6

Are you referring to my attitude? I don't mind if someone doesn't want to sell something, because they shouldn't have to. But if someone wants to sell something which is restorable and then report it as scrapped to the DVLA just so someone else can't restore it then they're a knob.If you didn't mean this then I apologise.

Yes it was your "knob" comment I was referring to - if somebody owns something then they can do what they like with it in my book.It seems a little strange to me when people resolutely don't want to see a car back on the road, but it is suprisingly common with old cars, and often for emmotional reasons - especially when somebody dies and their family has to dispose of their cars and can't bear the thought of seeing it on the road with somebody else at the wheel.Theres loads of old giffers trying to sell rusty heaps unlikely ever to see the public road again with "NO BANGER RACERS" in caps at the end of the advert, despite the fact they are likely to be the only ones who will pay for the car - I don't mind that, by the same token, if somebody decides for whatever reason that they would rather their car got raced than restored, I am also quite happy with that too.

Yes, but in most cases people want to see their "good" car scrapped simply because they dont want somone else to make a few quid from it. That was certainly the case with the Granada and Cortina I had.

Yes, but in most cases people want to see their "good" car scrapped simply because they dont want somone else to make a few quid from it. That was certainly the case with the Granada and Cortina I had.

Some of these car club people are psudo car dealers, without the normal charm, and they get right up the punters noses, nobody likes getting ripped off by a Mike Brewer wannabe.

Are you referring to my attitude? I don't mind if someone doesn't want to sell something, because they shouldn't have to. But if someone wants to sell something which is restorable and then report it as scrapped to the DVLA just so someone else can't restore it then they're a knob.

If you didn't mean this then I apologise.

Yes it was your "knob" comment I was referring to - if somebody owns something then they can do what they like with it in my book.

It seems a little strange to me when people resolutely don't want to see a car back on the road, but it is suprisingly common with old cars, and often for emmotional reasons - especially when somebody dies and their family has to dispose of their cars and can't bear the thought of seeing it on the road with somebody else at the wheel.

Theres loads of old giffers trying to sell rusty heaps unlikely ever to see the public road again with "NO BANGER RACERS" in caps at the end of the advert, despite the fact they are likely to be the only ones who will pay for the car - I don't mind that, by the same token, if somebody decides for whatever reason that they would rather their car got raced than restored, I am also quite happy with that too.

Listen, people can do whatever they want, just don't expect me to be happy when someone goes out of their way to have a car scrapped which could easily return to the road.

I'll repeat myself for the last time, that person is a KNOB

Are you referring to my attitude? I don't mind if someone doesn't want to sell something, because they shouldn't have to. But if someone wants to sell something which is restorable and then report it as scrapped to the DVLA just so someone else can't restore it then they're a knob.

Yes it was your "knob" comment I was referring to - if somebody owns something then they can do what they like with it in my book.

It seems a little strange to me when people resolutely don't want to see a car back on the road, but it is suprisingly common with old cars, and often for emmotional reasons - especially when somebody dies and their family has to dispose of their cars and can't bear the thought of seeing it on the road with somebody else at the wheel.

Theres loads of old giffers trying to sell rusty heaps unlikely ever to see the public road again with "NO BANGER RACERS" in caps at the end of the advert, despite the fact they are likely to be the only ones who will pay for the car - I don't mind that, by the same token, if somebody decides for whatever reason that they would rather their car got raced than restored, I am also quite happy with that too.

Listen, people can do whatever they want, just don't expect me to be happy when someone goes out of their way to have a car scrapped which could easily return to the road.

To be fair I find calling the seller a KNOB quite offensive. TWAT would have been far more accurate.

To be fair I find calling the seller a KNOB quite offensive. TWAT would have been far more accurate.
Fair enough :) Seeing a perfectly good car wasted for no reason just annoys me that's all :)

Fair enough :) Seeing a perfectly good car wasted for no reason just annoys me that's all :)

Would you still be feeling the same if it something like a Corsa or Mondeo?.
If someone was happy to wanting to put it back on the road? Yeah I would actually be peeved about it. Granted there are still plenty of Corsa's and Mondeo's about but in 20 years time you'll see one drive down the street and think that it's cool that someone preserved a car from that era. Cars like old Fiesta's and Cortina's were pretty unremarkable back in the day but thanks to people who weren't spiteful you still get to see the occasional one on the road or at a classic car show.

Really straight old cars getting wrecked in any way is a shame in my book, but each to their own.

Going down the path of condemning somebody as a "KNOB" or a "TWAT" is not that far away from turning into one of the old moaners writing in to car mags to complain about people modifying classics, or to complain about banger racing etc... & as far as I'm concerned, if you can get that upset about waht somebody else does with a ton of old metal they legally own then you need to get a life.

No need to repeat yourself again, I get the message, I just disagree.

Really straight old cars getting wrecked in any way is a shame in my book, but each to their own.

Going down the path of condemning somebody as a "KNOB" or a "TWAT" is not that far away from turning into one of the old moaners writing in to car mags to complain about people modifying classics, or to complain about banger racing etc... & as far as I'm concerned, if you can get that upset about waht somebody else does with a ton of old metal they legally own then you need to get a life.

No need to repeat yourself again, I get the message, I just disagree.

Fair points and maybe I was a tad harsh but it is just a really silly thing to do and almost a bit spiteful. I don't mind people modifying a car tbh as long as it stays on the road, I'd rather they didn't but it's a free world and all so you can't force someone to do what you'd do with a car. Ditto with banger racing but then again free world and all :)

Would you believe I'm 26? :D