Farina saved

bigstraight6

It's amazing what some people will throw away, a friend of mine has just rescued this lovely Wolsley 1660 after it arrived at a local breakers yard, it's owner wanting it scrapped :cry: He got to it just before some local banger boys thankfully, as it's far to good for that. In fact, it just needed a small bit of welding and a bit of work on the front brakes to gain an MOT, and is apparently off to an enthusiastic new owner in Dublin at the coming weekend. I had a chance to drive it, the first time I've driven a Farina :oops: and found it an endearing old thing, that lovely transmission whine when pulling away in first, and the slight tappet noise from the B series engine.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hmmmm...that's a late one on a K plate. Never seen any Farina with that reg. I think 69'G' was last of the A60s and 71'J' last of the 16/60s and Oxfords. I bet the original dealer was glad to see the back of it as the new Marina had been out a few months by that time.

what a lovely car, as has been said its amazing people will still scrap rare saught after classics. even if they are sick of it theres always someone else who would love it, in my view if something's survived nearly 40 years it deserves a shot at another 40. wish i could find a car like that for scrap value!

Absolutely un ******* believable!! Why would anyone scrap that? Ok, if you'd had enough of it and want to get rid, fair enough, but surely ANYONE would know there are plenty of folk who'd want it?

Depends how much you're prepared to put up with from the people who supposedly want it. I imagine some of the Farina crowd are bearded anal fuckwits in extremis, you know, the type who'd want money off because the valve caps aren't of the right type.However, the potential to receive a fair sum of cash would outweigh my intolerance of people like this / people in general, and I'm glad it didn't get scrapped. There's disinterested and there's downright lazy - even a complete idiot could see there's a few quid in that thing.........but it doesn't always work like that. I had a friend at Lancaster who had a Mk 4 Cortina which was on the borderline between being banger fodder or the basis of a restoration project. He'd got two years out of it and it just needed a little bit too much work for the MOT as a daily driver on a student budget. The amount of utter shit, insulting offers and broken promises he got from the latter group of 'enthusiasts' was untrue. After storing it for a month on the promise of a deposit and a cheque which never came, my mate saw red and advertised it on a few banger forums.Within two days someone from Preston met his asking price in cash and turned up on time and took it away. I don't know whether it was broken up or raced in the end.

Absolutely un ******* believable!! Why would anyone scrap that? Ok, if you'd had enough of it and want to get rid, fair enough, but surely ANYONE would know there are plenty of folk who'd want it?

Depends how much you're prepared to put up with from the people who supposedly want it. I imagine some of the Farina crowd are bearded anal fuckwits in extremis, you know, the type who'd want money off because the valve caps aren't the of the right type.However, the potential to receive a fair sum of cash would outweigh my intolerance of people like this / people in general, and I'm glad it didn't get scrapped. There's disinterested and there's downright lazy - even a complete idiot could see there's a few quid in that thing.........but it doesn't always work like that. I had a friend at Lancaster who had a Mk 4 Cortina which was on the borderline between being banger fodder or the basis of a restoration project. He'd got two years out of it and it just needed a little bit too much work for the MOT as a daily driver on a student budget. The amount of utter shit, insulting offers and broken promises he got from the latter group of 'enthusiasts' was untrue. After storing it for a month on the promise of a deposit and a cheque which never came, my mate saw red and advertised it on a few banger forums.Within two days someone from Preston met his asking price in cash and turned up on time and took it away. I don't know whether it was broken up or raced in the end.
Aye...sadly a load of the Cortina "enthusiasts" are as bad as the Steve brigade or the sherpa coupe owners..........one of the reasons I got out of that scene, but not out of Cortinas

A lovely car, nice save. How much would that be worth as scrap? Surely less than it'd sell for?

Should do a good £400 to a banger racer if it's solid & running, which it clearly is - stupid money to smash one up, but they dominated the racing in the late 70's and early 80's and are iconic cars in banger circles.I have raced a few myself, but will never smash up one that is economically restorable. They are lovely old things to drive, I'm a big fan - excellent save!Does the illuminating badge on the front grill still work? That's one of the coolest things about Wolzy farinas!

Almost defies belief someone would scrap that. To be fair it could have been an elderly owner who just couldn't be arsed with it anymore.Great that someone's taken it on, deserves saving.

Agreed. You'd have to be a grade-A moron to want to scrap that and I don't even like British cars.....

I imagine some of the Farina crowd are bearded anal fuckwits in extremis, you know, the type who'd want money off because the valve caps aren't the of the right type...

Most Farina folks are pretty decent - I've dealt with a lot over the past few years as I have raced a few farinas & used to mechanic for a bloke who raced loads & ran them as road cars as well.They tend to fall into 2 camps - banger people, and non-banger people - even with the latter, I only ever met one who was a proper eccentric annorak type - we used to call him "mr bumbag" 'cos he always wore one! He owned oxford & cambridge estates and an oxford saloon - he drove a 45 mile round trip up to our banger yard once to get a "genuine" bolt for his alternator, but he wasn't a bad old chap at all.The most tragic waste of farinas I ever saw was the early ones that were "plate raped" - we got a black A60 cambridge saloon in once as a bare shell, the plate dealer had MOT'd it, got the plate, then sold all the trim, chrome and running gear and then passed the shell on to us, it was mint - steel wings and no filler, a real waste of a lovely car.

Its mental that someone would want that scrapped rather than go to the trouble of finding it a good home. Ive heard of it happening quite a few times before. The owner doesnt want to see anyone make any money from their old car just because they cant be arsed with it anymore. I had a mint MK2 Granada 2.3L the same way. The timing gears had broken so it was a non-runner and the owner couldnt be bothered to fix it. He would only sell it to me aslong as I raced it. He wouldnt even give me the V5 for it when I picked it up- he sent it off notifying the DVLA the granny had been scrapped to try an esure it never got back on the road.Same deal with a relative of a mate. He had a nice MK5 cortina that needed a couple of patches for MOT. If I raced it it was £50, if I wanted to fix it up it was £150. Crazy!Theres a few others I can think of, none on the level of this Wolzy though. It would have been a terrible waste to see this beauty scrapped!

It's amazing what some people will throw away, a friend of mine has just rescued this lovely Wolsley 1660 after it arrived at a local breakers yard, it's owner wanting it scrapped :cry: He got to it just before some local banger boys thankfully, as it's far to good for that. In fact, it just needed a small bit of welding and a bit of work on the front brakes to gain an MOT, and is apparently off to an enthusiastic new owner in Dublin at the coming weekend. I had a chance to drive it, the first time I've driven a Farina :oops: and found it an endearing old thing, that lovely transmission whine when pulling away in first, and the slight tappet noise from the B series engine.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice save, and late enough, I have J on mine, and its 1971.

Mine needs a waterpump which today has arrived.

he sent it off notifying the DVLA the granny had been scrapped to try an esure it never got back on the road.!

What a knob!
It's that ^ attitude that gets on my wick as a racer - your car, your choice: my car, my choice.Having seen any number of "it's going to be restored" projects that fester away only to get scrapped when they are too far gone for anybody to get any joy out of, anything I owned which I thought "fit for racing" would go to one of my friends who would race it - which is exactly where my £350 Laurel went when it eventually let me down by dropping a valve. If it was worth more to somebody to restore, I'd sell it for restoration, as it was, I swapped it for a mk2 cortina shell.Whatever other people do with their legally aquirred possessions is not for me to say.

he sent it off notifying the DVLA the granny had been scrapped to try an esure it never got back on the road.!

What a knob!
It's that ^ attitude that gets on my wick as a racer - your car, your choice: my car, my choice.Having seen any number of "it's going to be restored" projects that fester away only to get scrapped when they are too far gone for anybody to get any joy out of, anything I owned which I thought "fit for racing" would go to one of my friends who would race it - which is exactly where my £350 Laurel went when it eventually let me down by dropping a valve. If it was worth more to somebody to restore, I'd sell it for restoration, as it was, I swapped it for a mk2 cortina shell.Whatever other people do with their legally aquirred possessions is not for me to say.
Are you referring to my attitude? I don't mind if someone doesn't want to sell something, because they shouldn't have to. But if someone wants to sell something which is restorable and then report it as scrapped to the DVLA just so someone else can't restore it then they're a knob.If you didn't mean this then I apologise.

In my Scrap spot thread..theres an image of a MG Metro..i saw it online for sale for $1500..then when we were out n about..we saw it for sale..and the young guy sitting beside it..i had a brief chat with him..but he was determined on his national scene tax price..nobody local wants this type of car..so hey ho..the reg n warrant runs out so he scraps it..