Rush Green Motors, Langley

Electric Leyland

There's a fair few RAF bases round that neck of the woods, that's probably the reason. That stretch of the A1 also has a huge Volvo breakers yard and an old railway museum with loads of old trains and carriages on display outside it, both further south though I think. And that place that looks like a drive-thru sex shop.Does McGuinness's in Stoke-on-Trent still have any classics in it?

Last time I went to McGuinness's it was a shadow of it's former self, still bits of old tat showing up, but nothing on the scale it used to be. My Ambassador (Y reg) ended up there after the garage set fire to the wiring loom and carpets whilst welding the sills up :cry::cry:

There's a fair few RAF bases round that neck of the woods, that's probably the reason. That stretch of the A1 also has a huge Volvo breakers yard and an old railway museum with loads of old trains and carriages on display outside it, both further south though I think. And that place that looks like a drive-thru sex shop.Does McGuinness's in Stoke-on-Trent still have any classics in it?

The Volvo breakers is on the northbound side near the Wyboston Lakes turning. I'm guessing the trains are at Stibbington, home of the preserved Nene Valley Railway.I think the Drive-Thru bongo mag shop is between Sandy & Wyboston heading north, been many things in its life but IIRC it was a petrol station and BBQ centre (a real good mix of items to have on a forecourt.)

On the sub-topic of planes in odd places:

Posted Image

Jaguar (?) at Norfolk Records Office, ex-RAF Coltishall.

And on the subject of favourite scrapyards, I can only suggest Medler's near Norwich, sadly pretty much gone now :cry:

I have a load of photos on Flickr, many of which have been posted here before:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7430965@N0 ... 077392262/

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some familiar photos there, I think he goes by the name of Fryske on Flickr.I was aware of some stuff in the woods on earlier visits – one had to crawl through old cars in the ‘wall’ to get to them. But later on, when the main part of the yard was cleared, they started to let people into another area of woodland I didn’t even know existed.It does seem like a few things remain up there. Sad it’s nearly all gone, but at least I got to visit and buy parts from them and take a load of photos when they were still running properly (more or less).

On the sub-topic of planes in odd places:

Posted Image

Jaguar (?) at Norfolk Records Office, ex-RAF Coltishall.

Not really an odd place for a gate guardian. That's where the Jaguars were based before being withdrawn from service.

Fantastically underrated aircraft and withdrawn far too early imho.

Wow, what a great thread. I just spent ages reading this instead of doing something constructive.I just missed the heyday of the scrapyards. There were one or two left when I was a kid, but being London they dried up very quickly in the '90s. I can't think of any left round here where you can go in and walk around, they are all organised breakers now and only keep anything of value.There was a big-ish one in Orpington run by jippos. I remember going in there in about 1995 or 1996 looking for some parts for my mate's Mk1 Fiesta. You could just walk about it freely but it was mainly current stuff and nothing of interest even for back then. They were a right dodgy bunch. When we arrived we just strolled in and there were a couple of pikeys looking at a newish Porsche in a garage. As soon as they saw us the door came down quickly and we were warned that we hadn't seen anything, had we? Pretty sure that one is long gone.Then when I went to university there was a huge scrappy next to the motorway where the M4 meets the M25. By then all the good ones in the area were long gone and this one disappeared just a few years later. I must have gone there in 1998 or 1999 and you could turn up and walk round. There wasn't a lot of interesting stuff but there was a very crispy Moggie and out the back I accidentally ended up in an area that was out of bounds that was full of good stuff. There was a very low totally knackered Anglia that was wearing some seriously wide wheels, bubble arches and looked hard as nails, but it was way gone past salvageable. There was a load of crash damaged stuff with Police notices on them so I can only assume that area was the Police pound.No pics unfortunately. This was way before the days of digital cameras and I wouldn't have been lugging a film camera around with me.

Not really an odd place for a gate guardian. That's where the Jaguars were based before being withdrawn from service.Fantastically underrated aircraft and withdrawn far too early imho.

The Records Office itself is actually in Norwich, but yes it was obviously the local connection with Coltishall relatively nearby that meant they ended up with it.

By then all the good ones in the area were long gone and this one disappeared just a few years later

What is it with all these interesting places disappearing? It's like anything good in this world has to be removed or destroyed! :( Everything becomes more rigid, mundane, predictable, uninteresting, 'safe', 'cleansed', uniform....how depressing :cry: There is (was?) an interesting looking yard which you would pass on the train going through Purley where I remember catching sight of things liked stacks of Rover SD1s, Mk1 Metros & suchlike 8) anyone else know the one I mean?

What is it with all these interesting places disappearing? It's like anything good in this world has to be removed or destroyed! :( Everything becomes more rigid, mundane, predictable, uninteresting, 'safe', 'cleansed', uniform....how depressing :cry:

Health and saftey, plus envioromnts stuff i guess

• 3 months later...

Apparently 100 firefighters have been fighting a major fire at Rush Green Motors for several hours. All remaining tat is likely to be crispy tat now.

bugger

i started reading this thread on page one (about 10 minutes ago) and just rang my dad to tell him about it - he needs some '50s austin bits - then i get to page 6 and realise ive wasted a phonecall, and excited my dad for nothing :shock:

Sabotage, fo sho.

There have been 'plans' to develop a huge area of land to the west of St.Evenage for years, which have been regularly thwarted by various issues, one of which being a massif scrappy in the way.

Agreed. Many of these buildings (old pubs/scrap yards etc...) that get in the way of developers plans get torched.

Sabotage, fo sho.

There have been 'plans' to develop a huge area of land to the west of St.Evenage for years, which have been regularly thwarted by various issues, one of which being a massif scrappy in the way.

Agreed. Many of these buildings (old pubs/scrap yards etc...) that get in the way of developers plans get torched.

Mysteriously.

It's under control now: see here, so I wouldn't have thought too much of the place went up else they would have been fighting the blaze for days.

Another bit of good news is that they've decided not to do the western expansion of Stevenage (linky). This pleases me; the countryside thereabouts is rather nice whereas Stevenage is emphatically not.

Sabotage, fo sho.

Mysteriously.

Yes. Mysterious.

Having been offered large sums of cash in the past to 'help' developers path run smooth I know how it works.

I;ve been on HMVF, (basically a forum for nutters like me who think that owning tanks etc is a good idea not that I have one (yet...)). Apparently the building that went up could have contained 2x Model Ts, 2x Model A trucks and a scammell from the 1930s, very possibly a get out of our f*ing way or next time it'll be worse job!

Anyway, who would like to live on an old scrapyard, "oh yes the soils lovely round here, with all the heavy metals and oil by-products dumped here over the past 40 years :roll: !).

m0rris

Well hopefully it isnt a deliberate thing, but I guess we will find out soon. Of course, quite a few a scrapyards do go up in flames for a variety of reasons, like that one I tried to visit which crushed a campervan with a gas bottle in it....

I meant of the "others", who don't seem to understand us, personally for garden decoration a mouldy datsun sunny with rusty holes this size of golf balls in the wings would surpass any decorative plant ever, and in life I could think of nothing better than waking up every morning to admire a collection of mouldy tat!

It just if its an ex-scrapyard you won;t have the datsun, but you will have all of the lovely chemicals its dumped fromits sump etc!

m0rris

a scammell from the 1930s

I think I might have seen that Scammell some years ago when I visited them to buy a load of left hand threaded wheelnuts for my crappy trailer.

It looked like it might have been a steam lorry and was absolutely lovely. That's a real pity if it's gone. :(

• 5 years later...