Uno Peloma Banga - Our Spanish Spots

lesapandre

When this place had it's last existential crisis about content I said I'd post some new stuff.

I've done London car factories a bit (more to do) and driven round northern France and broken down pretty spectacularly.

I was going to drive the Mercedes 124 down to Spain for a day's meeting I have to attend - but I have run out of time so I have flown down.

So here are some random shots as I travel about in north-east Spain over the next couple of days of what old or interesting cars are about.

First off the 'plane - a Rover 75 at the airport. These were popular in Europe - lots in France...

We are a long way from Longbridge.

20220918_102456.jpg

3 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Yup -I may have peaked too soo. Merdre..

I don’t think so. Take a scenic route if you can and no doubt you’ll see a Renault 4 seemingly abandoned, or with an old boy driving it whilst he has a Ducados hanging from his mouth.

22 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

I don’t think so. Take a scenic route if you can and no doubt you’ll see a Renault 4 seemingly abandoned, or with an old boy driving it whilst he has a Ducados hanging from his mouth.

I'll keep watch....

That’s what I love about Spain and especially the canaries, cars that would have turned to dust and been “uneconomically repairable” in this country are just happily plodding on as normal. 

I bet they treat their lacquer peal like we treat our rust. Patch it up and carry on…. 😂

6 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

That’s what I love about Spain and especially the canaries, cars that would have turned to dust and been “uneconomically repairable” in this country are just happily plodding on as normal. 

I bet they treat their lacquer peal like we treat our rust. Patch it up and carry on…. 😂

I'd say 'interesting' cars are roughly about 15% of the everyday parc here in N. Spain. In comparison it's about 5% in N. France where I was in the summer - where the climate is considerably wetter.

I have seen one Seat 600 at a country roadside  cantina which was immaculate and clearly an enthusiast owned car - it moved off before I could pap it. But there are none of those Spanish oddities to be seen that were once everywhere - the diesel Chrysler 180 and Renault 7.

Screenshot_20220918-192125_Chrome.jpg.46fbb5b434d83698a3a00c7e78549d49.jpg

Not much really before 1995 - although there is the odd exception.

I saw a Mercedes W124 coming the other way when out - only one I have seen so far. Although there is the occasional C-Class.

2 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

20220920_105506.jpg

2 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

One of their continuations of the Ebro Trade (F series?)

Yes - all part of the musical chairs by European manufacturers. Opel seem to be clinging on in Spain - but the dealership I passed today looked pretty desolate compared to it's swish DS neighbour- part of the same group.

Well folks my other car is a 'plane. He ends the brief journey.

I like to bring something home from trips. I managed to score a vintage Hemingway paperback on the way back - in English - a lot to learn from this prose stylist - though I have little interest bullfighting.

20220920_152642.thumb.jpg.39a7b1ad12d58da570dcdfe4b8f4b01a.jpg

I also picked up a book of vintage Spanish photographs from the 1950's - I will feature a few in 'Eye-catching Black and Whites' sometime.

20220920_152743.thumb.jpg.5074380ed2f83911ae037684fecbd36d.jpg

This one is taken in 1950 - but the cars are all 30's.

Hasta Luego Amigos

• lesapandre changed the title to Uno Peloma Banga - Our Spanish Spots
On 9/19/2022 at 1:17 PM, lesapandre said:

Bingo...

20220919_090106.jpg

20220919_090142.jpg

A friend sent me another couple of pics of the Renault.

I'm back in Spain later in the year so I'll see what else turns up. Be more rural next time...

Text reads I think: Yes I'm riding in a classic but you are riding in a plastic...

It sounds better in Spanish: classico/plastico

IMG-20220928-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20220928-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220928-WA0000.jpg