Uno Peloma Banga - Our Spanish Spots

lesapandre

When this place had it's last existential crisis about content I said I'd post some new stuff.

I've done London car factories a bit (more to do) and driven round northern France and broken down pretty spectacularly.

I was going to drive the Mercedes 124 down to Spain for a day's meeting I have to attend - but I have run out of time so I have flown down.

So here are some random shots as I travel about in north-east Spain over the next couple of days of what old or interesting cars are about.

First off the 'plane - a Rover 75 at the airport. These were popular in Europe - lots in France...

We are a long way from Longbridge.

20220918_102456.jpg

3 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Yup -I may have peaked too soo. Merdre..

I don’t think so. Take a scenic route if you can and no doubt you’ll see a Renault 4 seemingly abandoned, or with an old boy driving it whilst he has a Ducados hanging from his mouth.

22 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

I don’t think so. Take a scenic route if you can and no doubt you’ll see a Renault 4 seemingly abandoned, or with an old boy driving it whilst he has a Ducados hanging from his mouth.

I'll keep watch....

That’s what I love about Spain and especially the canaries, cars that would have turned to dust and been “uneconomically repairable” in this country are just happily plodding on as normal. 

I bet they treat their lacquer peal like we treat our rust. Patch it up and carry on…. 😂

6 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

That’s what I love about Spain and especially the canaries, cars that would have turned to dust and been “uneconomically repairable” in this country are just happily plodding on as normal. 

I bet they treat their lacquer peal like we treat our rust. Patch it up and carry on…. 😂

I'd say 'interesting' cars are roughly about 15% of the everyday parc here in N. Spain. In comparison it's about 5% in N. France where I was in the summer - where the climate is considerably wetter.

I have seen one Seat 600 at a country roadside  cantina which was immaculate and clearly an enthusiast owned car - it moved off before I could pap it. But there are none of those Spanish oddities to be seen that were once everywhere - the diesel Chrysler 180 and Renault 7.

Screenshot_20220918-192125_Chrome.jpg.46fbb5b434d83698a3a00c7e78549d49.jpg

Not much really before 1995 - although there is the odd exception.

I saw a Mercedes W124 coming the other way when out - only one I have seen so far. Although there is the occasional C-Class.

2 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

20220920_105506.jpg

2 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

One of their continuations of the Ebro Trade (F series?)

Yes - all part of the musical chairs by European manufacturers. Opel seem to be clinging on in Spain - but the dealership I passed today looked pretty desolate compared to it's swish DS neighbour- part of the same group.

Well folks my other car is a 'plane. He ends the brief journey.

I like to bring something home from trips. I managed to score a vintage Hemingway paperback on the way back - in English - a lot to learn from this prose stylist - though I have little interest bullfighting.

20220920_152642.thumb.jpg.39a7b1ad12d58da570dcdfe4b8f4b01a.jpg

I also picked up a book of vintage Spanish photographs from the 1950's - I will feature a few in 'Eye-catching Black and Whites' sometime.

20220920_152743.thumb.jpg.5074380ed2f83911ae037684fecbd36d.jpg

This one is taken in 1950 - but the cars are all 30's.

Hasta Luego Amigos

• lesapandre changed the title to Uno Peloma Banga - Our Spanish Spots