First start in more than 10 years

Gentil79

Hi everyone,

Progress has been made on my South African 1974 BMW 520 E12.
After more than 10 years of not being used, I attempt the first start. Of course, I had to do a few jobs beforehand. 
Here is the video I’ve made:
First start in over 10 years - 1974 BMW 520 E12
https://youtu.be/ms6BaA9Kctw

Love it. 

I wanted to do the same with the Carlton. 14 years that hadn’t ran for. Engine wasn’t as seized as yours. It freed off pretty easily with some wd40 down the plug holes. Compression test came next, then the fuel hoses and filter. Drained the tank, then with some fresh fuel she ran. 

im too impatient to do these videos though. The wife said she’d help me with her decent camera and some basic editing skills but I’d already got it running by the time she’d found her camera. 

18 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

Love it. 

I wanted to do the same with the Carlton. 14 years that hadn’t ran for. Engine wasn’t as seized as yours. It freed off pretty easily with some wd40 down the plug holes. Compression test came next, then the fuel hoses and filter. Drained the tank, then with some fresh fuel she ran. 

im too impatient to do these videos though. The wife said she’d help me with her decent camera and some basic editing skills but I’d already got it running by the time she’d found her camera. 

Thank you very much. 
I use my old iPhone XR to record and edit and I’m happy with the results.

Compression test is next once it find it, as well as an oil and filter change.

13 hours ago, Nullzwei said:

That looks to be very unrusty for a 1970's BMW. Very rare. Mayo in filler cap is probably just condensation. Those 4 cylinder m10 engines are difficult to kill. Used in F1 in turbocharged form they made stupid horsepower. 

Yes, it has spent 5 years in South Africa then 43 in Portugal. There’s a scab here and there, but not too bad. I need to douse it in Lanoguard before the winter kicks in!

tough engines and not bad to work on either.

More work yesterday on the 1974 BMW 520 E12. Oil & filter change and looked at the spark plugs. They’re the wrong ones and gap was too wide. Went for another mini drive and idle still crap. 
New ignition parts to be ordered (dizzy cap, rotor arm, condenser and plugs) valve clearance to be adjusted and timing to be check. Only after all that is sorted the. I can start the carb tuning… which I still need to learn.

8C8684B4-98C7-497C-94E2-33140FD1C5FB.jpeg

D01FE2AA-18C9-4034-93D0-A879BC894988.jpeg

DEA10665-13A7-4857-AE14-DA4460367A20.jpeg