Rozzer Shite

reb

Some I've uploaded:

1998 Nissan Primera GT (P11) Police Demonstrator, c.1999

Seen at Nissan UK Design Centre in the late '90s. I believe there were were one or two other demos in the same series (R506 YFC used by Strathclyde Police).

1993 Mazda 323F GLXi Police Car

I bet they found this 323F rather cramped, as we did for family duties.

1996 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 GLS Police Car, N265ODF (1997)

Low-spec V6  (Cartell said GLS) on steels.

1989 Ford Sierra Sapphire 1.6 L Police Car F364 TDF (1990)

Another one from the John Powell archive, with a rather large blue light.

I have a great old Ian Allan book somewhere, must dig it out for this thread. ‘Police Vehicles of the World’ circa 1978. 

As a child I loved all the obscure exotic foreign things like Alpine A310s used by the French gendarmerie - and to identify the various cars from American cop shows - whereas now it’s more interesting to see the evidence of an era when Ford and GM dominated globally, with cars such as Mk3/4 Cortinas used by police forces as disparate as Hong Kong, Taiwan, Cyprus, South Africa etc.

A lot of Caribbean and African countries still used British motorcycles at this time as well. 

On 11/7/2022 at 11:21 AM, Crackers said:

*can't think of the real word

Station manager or fire marshal probably. 

I was baffled the other day, sitting in a bar in Cheadle when a Kia Sportage went past with sirens and concealed blues going off.  That's catching no bugger. 

Sure enough, fire car. It probably also has a sign that says 'FIRE' on the passenger sun visor. I've also seen a bright orange Peugeot crossover kitted out as such. 

I guess fire station managers just get concealed blues on their own cars?

9 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Station manager or fire marshal probably. 

I was baffled the other day, sitting in a bar in Cheadle when a Kia Sportage went past with sirens and concealed blues going off.  That's catching no bugger. 

Sure enough, fire car. It probably also has a sign that says 'FIRE' on the passenger sun visor. I've also seen a bright orange Peugeot crossover kitted out as such. 

I guess fire station managers just get concealed blues on their own cars?

We have a Vauxhall garage very closeby (need to be more discerning next time we move) and a fire HQ up the road, and a fire service special making regular appearances at both seems to be jacked up XC70-style Insignias in white, with concealed blues.

Never noticed the 'off road' Insignia in any other role, but I presume it is/was commercially available for paupers who haven't hit the giddy heights of Volvo or Audi ownership?

2 hours ago, SunnySouth said:

Never noticed the 'off road' Insignia in any other role, but I presume it is/was commercially available for paupers who haven't hit the giddy heights of Volvo or Audi ownership?

Yes, it's called the Insignia Country Tourer. 

West Mercia Constabulary, (who employed me, briefly, as a plod in ‘76 / 77) were proud of the reg. number on the Chief Constables Rover. Said to be the first number issued to the Worcester area. Chief’s Jag from an earlier time with the number, which was-sold off five years ago.328DC57F-081A-4050-9B12-12AF4A4A8A9F.thumb.jpeg.c7b6a6504d7a07c8ee8daef0976dc58d.jpeg

They also had the number AAB 1, which I remember on a Lunar Grey Rover 3500S, quite possibly the same car that suffered an alternator failiure whilst I was a passenger. 
West Mercia were early BMW users having bikes, 2500 saloons and the very first 525s at that time. The traffic dept. often had trial cars from other makers, Renault 30 and Vauxhall (VX4/90 ?) come to mind.

A few years later they had this.9765840A-14D1-420E-8EA4-36B8284DB7BA.thumb.jpeg.96a7de07cbaad3fb4e8678560a85c0b8.jpeg

M5 junction 4, just before it was widened to six lanes.

On 11/10/2022 at 12:04 AM, AnthonyG said:

I have a great old Ian Allan book somewhere, must dig it out for this thread. ‘Police Vehicles of the World’ circa 1978. 

As a child I loved all the obscure exotic foreign things like Alpine A310s used by the French gendarmerie - and to identify the various cars from American cop shows - whereas now it’s more interesting to see the evidence of an era when Ford and GM dominated globally, with cars such as Mk3/4 Cortinas used by police forces as disparate as Hong Kong, Taiwan, Cyprus, South Africa etc.

A lot of Caribbean and African countries still used British motorcycles at this time as well. 

I have that book too :)  It was and still is very interesting.  Maybe I should get my police-car books out for a photo session!