Radically Altered Classic (RANT)

Faker

Here you go, this lawyers website explains better than I can and essentially what I was told:

https://www.catalystlaw.co.uk/blog/consumer-rights-on-second-hand-goods

Consumer Rights and private sellers.

If you purchase items from a private seller via a web advertisement, local newspaper ad or car boot sale it is important to be aware that you don't have any consumer rights. For the Consumer Rights Act to apply you need to be an individual making a purchase from a business.

If you do buy a second-hand item from a private individual it only has to match any advertised description. This limited protection falls under The Misrepresentation Act for when an untrue fact or statement is made by the seller to convince a buyer to make a purchase.

A private seller isn't under any obligation to tell you about any faults or defects, and there's no requirement for the item to be of satisfactory quality or suitable for any specific purpose.

So, as you may have heard, purchasing from a private seller is a matter of 'buyer beware'. You should check the product thoroughly to ensure you are 100% happy before buying it.

For example:

• Should you consider buying a used car privately, you ideally should have your own mechanic examine it and undertake checks on its history (HPI etc.) before purchasing, as you can't return it if faults are found at a later date.

• If you privately purchase a caravan that turns out to have faults with it's electrics, cooker and shower. It will not have been misrepresented to you unless the seller specifically said all these components were in full working order.

Legal advice on second hand rights.

In the majority of cases once you make the retailer aware of the fault, they should deal with your concerns inline with your consumer rights. If they refuse, the next step is escalating the matter as a complaint and then involving any associated ombudsman which should be detailed in the retailer's terms and conditions.

If all these steps fail, your only available method of resolution may be to start court proceedings. If the value of your claim is less than £10,000, it will be treated as a 'small claim' which means there are set fees to issue the claim and only limited legal expenses are able to be added (see our guide on how much does it cost to take someone to court).

Therefore if the value of your consumer claim is significant, it will be worthwhile seeking legal advice on your dispute before beginning court action to ensure the consumer laws are on your side

Regarding the car in the OP surely anyone driving it, or something similar on the public road knows the crack, if you happen to get pulled by Dave "Grimo" Grimes off of police camera interceptors one day it's probably going in the crusher.

We do not have a system like Germany or the US etc where you have to go to an office and potentially show them the car and pay your fees to get legal. Whether through political choice or cost cutting we basically have an honour system where you can choose to be legit or not via post or online. You have to try very hard to get a vehicle inspected.

If you had that Anglia, provided you'd insured it correctly, whether you could be bothered to get it correctly IVAd etc would surely be dependent on where you live and what you thought the odds were of one of the 8 police cars covering your county catching you when you drive it to a show or whatever twice a year.

As 99.97% of policing is done by ANPR provided it has legible number plates and shows as insured when on the road I reckon the chance of any issues is almost zero.

You can't please all of the people all of the time, this is well-known.  That so-called Anglia that is nothing of the sort, and completely fails to please me.

I grew up in the 70s reading Custom Car, so I'm not averse to a nice hotrod or Kustom Kar, but this... thing is just an abomination.  It clearly has no right whatsoever to the registration number that was last on the poor Anglia, nor even to use the name.

The very existence of that thing offends me.

1 minute ago, Crackers said:

Then look away. 🤷‍♂️

Usually I would, but once I'd seen the opening pics I felt my opinion was as valid and postworthy as anyone else's.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, they say... I beheld that and beauty was the last word I would have chosen to describe it.

If nobody else quotes me I can safely ignore this thread for the rest of its life.

10 hours ago, garbaldy said:

Just as bad as the upgraded to 2 litre  superchargedwizzturboebaycoilover super fast traffic light racer but cheep insurance and tax as still registered as a 1.1 perfect for learner driver sales adds.

Hmmm...

Sill registered as a 1984 Yellow (Dutton?) with 1100cc engine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125479778666

"I AM SURE IT IS NOW ALSO TAX AND MOT EXEMPT - JSUT HAVNT ASKED - BUT 99% SURE"

s-l1600.jpg

25 minutes ago, garbaldy said:

And the lime green series landy will also be MOT excempt.

It's also for sale...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125479730703

Vehicle Details

Manufacturer Land Rover
Model 88" - 4 Cyl
Colour Green
Vehicle Type LCV
Body Style Not Available
Fuel Type Diesel
Engine Size Not Availa
ULEZ Compliant Check ULEZ

BHP Not Available
Vehicle Age 62 years 2 months
Registered Date 27 June 1960
V5C Issue Date 19 March 2021
Year of Manf. 1960

It's heavily modified, who knows if it's a 1960 series 1 or wearing the VIN of one. 🤷‍♀️

I like the back end and the attention to detail is intense.

I see why they keep changing the front end. Not because they're keeping it fresh, more that three times in a row they've made an ugly front for it. Hopefully the next one is a little more inspired.

Also, reading this, I must have been the only person to ever write off and correct the details on the DVLA's database when I changed the engine on my car?

2 hours ago, Rocket88 said:

How the fuck do you know it was badly modified? Don’t remember you carrying out a detailed engineer’s report.

So how did that IVA (and thus detailed engineer's report) go? 🧐 

Part Points

Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer) 5  (probably modified to fit fwd subframe)

Suspension (front and back) - original 2 on air

Axles (both) - original 2 was rwd, now fwd so definitely different front axles.

Transmission - original 2 1.8t fwd transmission as original was rwd.

Steering assembly - original 2 (probably modified to use rack on fwd subframe)

Engine - original 1 1.8t

915523902_Screenshot_20220910-0938362.thumb.png.b6754d6575e18fd29ef6d9894d1c9a90.png

This thread is exactly about that type of vehicle.

2 hours ago, Rocket88 said:

How the fuck do you know it was badly modified? Don’t remember you carrying out a detailed engineer’s report.

I'm pretty certain you yourself had a thread on it full of pictures on the amount of original chassis that was cut away, didn't take an engineer's report to realise how much structure was removed from your pictures.

Just because the final look of the car was pretty good didn't make it any stronger or infact legal.

20 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Can’t see what mods were done from that post?

It was rwd and all running gear was removed plus all the front inner wings and chassis legs where cut out. the whole front was then cut from a golf 18 turbo and grafted into the pugs front end using the golf inner wings.

It was a shit load of work and after paintwork was done it did look pretty good before being sold on. The thread was pretty good untill op took a strop over some comments and deleted it.

14 hours ago, GrumpyCat said:

Hmmm...

Sill registered as a 1984 Yellow (Dutton?) with 1100cc engine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125479778666

"I AM SURE IT IS NOW ALSO TAX AND MOT EXEMPT - JSUT HAVNT ASKED - BUT 99% SURE"

s-l1600.jpg

Without wading through the advert if the Dutton chassis is unmodified it's just a rebody and can keep the Dutton reg. Older correctly registered and unloved kit cars are popular for this very reason. All that shit on the roof and in front of the windscreen needs to go though.

Depending on exact date of registration there's at least another 2 or 3 years before it becomes T&T exempt.

2 minutes ago, garbaldy said:

It was rwd and all running gear was removed plus all the front inner wings and chassis legs where cut out. the whole front was then cut from a golf 18 turbo and grafted into the pugs front end using the golf inner wings.

It was a shit load of work and after paintwork was done it did look pretty good before being sold on.

The guy who got the paintwork done (or a subsequent owner) was trying to sell it on Facebook after they had spent a fortune on making it look good then reality dawned and they realised it couldn't be put on the road, looking at the tax status as above I bet the DVLA flagged the registration as suspicious and decided an inspection was in order when somebody tried to change all the details on the logbook.

4 minutes ago, DodgeRover said:

Without wading through the advert if the Dutton chassis is unmodified it's just a rebody and can keep the Dutton reg. Older correctly registered and unloved kit cars are popular for this very reason. All that shit on the roof and in front of the windscreen needs to go though.

Depending on exact date of registration there's at least another 2 or 3 years before it becomes T&T exempt.

It has Viva front suspension, air springs, and Sierra diff though, so it is not an unmodified Dutton chassis. 

28 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

It has Viva front suspension, air springs, and Sierra diff though, so it is not an unmodified Dutton chassis. 

What did the original Dutton run when it was built though? Wouldn't it depend on the donor car and builder? Viva front suspension has been common with kit and hot rod builders for years. Sierra diff also is period for when it was registered?