Piss Balling about with banger Fords

sierraman

18 minutes ago, grogee said:

Allow me to introduce you to The Megatron

IMG_20220630_131015556.jpg

Brilliant! :)

Now, because it's me, something like that would be knocked over and a massive paddy thrown within about 5 minutes of setting it all up. Or the darned thing would just go missing. As does everything else!

• 2 weeks later...

Time due for the oil change in the Focus, got just enough in the bottom of a 20 litre 5w30 for the 4 litres required. £6.16 delivered for a genuine Ford filter, why buy crap Fram or Crossland when you can get the real deal for that price. You never can tell with Ford, stuff is either the cheapest around or it’s crazy money, take Mk5 Mondeo driveshafts, over £400, yet a set of genuine Mk2 Focus rubber mats for £31. 

5 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

MOT for mine tomorrow, wish me luck, think it'll be ok though

Might do an oil change if I get a chance, got 4l of Castrol going spare (taking up room on the shelf) :)

Likely to be fine apart from the back bushes on the front arms common and the inevitable trailing arms. Despite the light on mine flew through the emissions. Top end really clean as well. Rattled a bit in a morning if it’s cold but that seems normal on the Ti-VCTs, no start up death rattle so I’d consider that ‘good’. 

5 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Likely to be fine apart from the back bushes on the front arms common and the inevitable trailing arms. Despite the light on mine flew through the emissions. Top end really clean as well. Rattled a bit in a morning if it’s cold but that seems normal on the Ti-VCTs, no start up death rattle so I’d consider that ‘good’. 

That's what I'm worrying most about but I think it's ok. Been way too busy to get it up on the ramp at work and check so I'm just going to have to send it in blindly and hope for the best. 

Mine does the death rattle every now and then, but it's always done it and never got any worse. Oil light takes about a second longer to go out on a cold cold start than I'd like, but nevermind, it's fine* 🤷

1 minute ago, RoverFolkUs said:

That's what I'm worrying most about but I think it's ok. Been way too busy to get it up on the ramp at work and check so I'm just going to have to send it in blindly and hope for the best. 

Mine does the death rattle every now and then, but it's always done it and never got any worse. Oil light takes about a second longer to go out on a cold cold start than I'd like, but nevermind, it's fine* 🤷

The rattle I believe is the injectors, there is a service schedule for the valve clearances at 100k but the shins are fucking expensive and it’s a bit involved. If it’s a start up rattle that’ll be the VCT solenoids, sometimes they’ll block, a flush should sort that. But realistically it’ll run forever like that. 

They seem a bit hit and miss with oil consumption as well, mine uses none but another I look after has gone through 2 litres in 5k yet still flies through the emissions. Saw a really tidy 1.8 the other day, they piss through oil but worth considering if sub £1,500 and not smoking like Nat King Cole. 

The fucking power steering is leaking AGAIN!! Got ‘the call’ earlier, ‘it’s making a funny noise’. Sure as hell the reservoir was empty, at first I figured the high pressure hose was leaking, cleaning all the shit off revealed the pressure switch was absolutely streaming out. Lesser of two evils perhaps but not what I wanted after a fucking wank day at work to be covered in PAS fluid on the Focuses annual January Fail to Proceed event which invariably involves me laid in a frost at 7pm on a Winters evening. Anyway switch duly ordered, I think the old one has failed inside, didn’t fancy fucking about replacing the O ring...

I had to replace most of the fluid when I did the other jobs, I’m assuming it hasn’t liked new CHF and has started leaking. 

31ADCA50-2E93-4C8A-98C4-54DCFFBFDFAD.jpeg

45 minutes ago, sierraman said:

The fucking power steering is leaking AGAIN!! Got ‘the call’ earlier, ‘it’s making a funny noise’. Sure as hell the reservoir was empty, at first I figured the high pressure hose was leaking, cleaning all the shit off revealed the pressure switch was absolutely streaming out. Lesser of two evils perhaps but not what I wanted after a fucking wank day at work to be covered in PAS fluid on the Focuses annual January Fail to Proceed event which invariably involves me laid in a frost at 7pm on a Winters evening. Anyway switch duly ordered, I think the old one has failed inside, didn’t fancy fucking about replacing the O ring...

I had to replace most of the fluid when I did the other jobs, I’m assuming it hasn’t liked new CHF and has started leaking. 

Have you got shares in a CHF manufacturing concern?

Commiserations, I feel your pain. It really is a shit time of year to be fixing cars outdoors. 

'The call'... I've had A Talk to Mrs Grogee about Managing Expectations vis a vis £2500 Espace I put deposit on today. "It's ok as far as I can tell from five minutes lying on some cardboard looking underneath it, and a ten minute test drive. But it's a 14 year old Renault, so something will go wrong soon. Let's keep £500 in a tin for when the inevitable happens"

Just now, grogee said:

Have you got shares in a CHF manufacturing concern?

Commiserations, I feel your pain. It really is a shit time of year to be fixing cars outdoors. 

'The call'... I've had A Talk to Mrs Grogee about Managing Expectations vis a vis £2500 Espace I put deposit on today. "It's ok as far as I can tell from five minutes lying on some cardboard looking underneath it, and a ten minute test drive. But it's a 14 year old Renault, so something will go wrong soon. Let's keep £500 in a tin for when the inevitable happens"

Given it’s ten quid a fucking litre, I wish I had. Looking at switches now, loads of no name shit on eBay, or £25 gets a Lemark or Lucas, both of which will be slightly less shit than a no name one. 

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

When I bought the fiesta the pressure switch was leaking. I put a bonded washer on it and sealed the threads with liquid thread seal. Been right as rain since, (3 years). Give that a go. Cheap fix and if it doesn't work I'll send you 10p reimbursement on the washer.

£30 later on another sensor and it seems leak free, for at least another fortnight...

Could have got a cheaper sensor but I’m not prepared to fuck about with some crap from EBay that won’t work so went for a Cambiare one. Got bummed with £16 a litre for the CHF but I needed the fucker back on the road and had minimal time for sorting this out after work. I shouldn’t moan really though, some would have paid for it at the garage and added another £60 on to the job. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oil change today for Focus, looks like it’s only done 3k since the last one last year. Anyway it’s that cheap to do that it’s silly not to so in went some fully synth 5w30 and a genuine Ford filter. Cleaned the engine bay up as well so I can spot when it decides to dump all its PAS fluid again. 

5FC367C6-E6D3-40F2-A76D-2E0D5F380950.jpeg

I think I've still got my old knackered pump with the pressure switch still on. I've seen them fail before and that's now given me all the more reason to keep it 😆

I can't remember what car it was but the plastic casing bit had blown straight off

Having said that if I saw your post sooner I'd have happily bunged it in the post for you. You're sorted now anyway!

• 3 weeks later...

Done a rear spring on a MK3 Mondy this afternoon, was a blast from the past!

Both front bottom arms as well to do in the morning, on a bargain clearance from the factors, about £22 each!

Time to blow the cobwebs off the subframe alignment pins which I probably haven't touched for about 5 years now 😆

• 3 weeks later...

Oil changed on the Mondeo today, it sounds like it has a minor boost leak, no loss of performance/smoking just a feint whistle on occasion. Couldn’t see any obvious splits in the intercooler pipework but the plastic but that goes under the sump was flapping about, possibly this worked loose at the Turbo end so tightened all the hoses up and we’ll see. 

No photos but a few minor electrical jobs today on the Mondeo, the small bulb that goes off when you unlock the car had a poor connection so was working on/off and fixed the trip computer buttons, figured the switch had completely gone so was anticipating fucking around taking the airbag out to replace but a severe dousing in contact cleaner has brought them round. Did have to top about 150ml of coolant up, cannot see where this is leaking so I’ll monitor it for now. Rad looked ok, couldn’t see any leaks under stat. The EGR was disturbed last year so maybe i didn’t top it up quite enough. 

• 3 months later...

Fancy upgrading to a mk4/5 from the fiesta. It'd have to be a 4 though cos I'd want one with a duratec in it. Don't do diesels or tiny petrols. Got an immediate no from her because "it's just another ford". Fair play love 🙄

10 minutes ago, Matty said:

Fancy upgrading to a mk4/5 from the fiesta. It'd have to be a 4 though cos I'd want one with a duratec in it. Don't do diesels or tiny petrols. Got an immediate no from her because "it's just another ford". Fair play love 🙄

The 1.0 isn’t that bad if you get the belt done then continue to use the correct oil. You are looking at around a £1000 at an independent though for the belt but once it’s done just change the oil regular with the correct grade and it’ll be fine. 

30 minutes ago, sierraman said:

The 1.0 isn’t that bad if you get the belt done then continue to use the correct oil. You are looking at around a £1000 at an independent though for the belt but once it’s done just change the oil regular with the correct grade and it’ll be fine. 

Still no replacement for displacement 😁

4 hours ago, sierraman said:

Set of pads today on Mondeo, they weren’t near being fucked but I figured I’d sooner be doing them in summer than January. So chucked a pair on from Comline (watch out folks with my budget brake pads!!!).

Next job is a pair of tyres on the back.

1D3C81C2-58F5-4A35-9660-0945867DF36A.jpeg

Budget brakes and tyres YOU ABSOLUTE WEAPON TO SOCIETY 😂

Get the pitchforks 😂

2 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I’m a disgrace I know! I’ll be booking in a pair of Autogreens and heading towards the M5 soon. 😂

Think of the danger YOU WILL POSE to the kids being pulled along the M5 in a Qashqai with its factory fitted Goodyears worn down to 1mm 🤣