Piss Balling about with banger Fords

sierraman

If it was more permanent I'd say its got to be an induction leak, anywhere after the MAF. PCV well worth a check

But if it was playing up, then its fine now, makes it difficult to pinpoint doesnt it. Low fuel pressure can do it. Technically an injector could also cause it but I've never seen trouble from the injectors themselves in these Zetec/Duratec engines. The injector looms can be dodgy but then you'd have a code pointing to an injector. As I'm sure you know its not uncommon for the fuel pumps to die on them

It will have flagged up as being lean due to the reading it got from the o2 sensor, not the MAF sensor. 

7 hours ago, SiC said:

I don't ... because I bought her a Honda 😅

The ST we have is 15 year old and not a stick of rust on it. All I've done to it in 3 years is a top hose,  caliper and  new ignition switch. 

(Oh an buy a second hand gearbox, strip it and renew all the bearings after the diff locked up and wiped all the casing out on the old box 🤣)

8 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

If it was more permanent I'd say its got to be an induction leak, anywhere after the MAF. PCV well worth a check

But if it was playing up, then its fine now, makes it difficult to pinpoint doesnt it. Low fuel pressure can do it. Technically an injector could also cause it but I've never seen trouble from the injectors themselves in these Zetec/Duratec engines. The injector looms can be dodgy but then you'd have a code pointing to an injector. As I'm sure you know its not uncommon for the fuel pumps to die on them

It will have flagged up as being lean due to the reading it got from the o2 sensor, not the MAF sensor. 

It’s the post cat sensor. The code it’s still flagging up is for the heater circuit on that sensor. 

P0036. I’ve tried cleaning the connector up that runs down the back of the cylinder head with some contact cleaner but its comeback up. It’s difficult to tell but I can’t see any damage to the wiring. 

Considering whether to buy a new Bosch sensor and have the trauma of fitting it or just to knock the lamp out prior to the test...

32 minutes ago, vaughant said:

Surely this is the sierraman way? Run till it dies 😉😉😉😉

Now that good cars are expensive I do feel more inclined to look after it. I only paid £700 for it 4 years ago, I want to get my moneys worth...

Noticed a bit of wetness round the reservoir to pump hose, looks like clamp is sort of digging into the hose. It’s not the big fuck off hose that runs to the rack fortunately. 

5 hours ago, sierraman said:

P0036. I’ve tried cleaning the connector up that runs down the back of the cylinder head with some contact cleaner but its comeback up. It’s difficult to tell but I can’t see any damage to the wiring. 

Considering whether to buy a new Bosch sensor and have the trauma of fitting it or just to knock the lamp out prior to the test...

Yeah that's for the heater circuit. If it's coming up as that it just means the heater circuit is goosed. If you wish, you can compare the resistance of the heater with the other sensors if you want to work out if it's faulty before the shit show of extracting it

• 2 weeks later...

Passed the MOT, looked at the O2 sensor, it didn’t look too crusty but it was in tight as fuck, the tool was starting to slip so I’ve took the easy way out and knocked the EML out for the test. I’ll look into in on greater depth of the Cat ever needs to come out, the emissions were all absolutely spot on. 

The cat on a petrol car is totally passive and the post cat O2 is surely just there to tell the system if the cat is faulty? Maybe it can also extract another 0.03% mpg by optimising fuelling but my vote is for avoid.

I reckon I might have one of those O2 sensor sockets somewhere if you need one, I also reckon the one time I tried to use it it rounded the sensor off whilst showering rust in my eyes hence the suggestion to just not.

26 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

The cat on a petrol car is totally passive and the post cat O2 is surely just there to tell the system if the cat is faulty? Maybe it can also extract another 0.03% mpg by optimising fuelling but my vote is for avoid.

I reckon I might have one of those O2 sensor sockets somewhere if you need one, I also reckon the one time I tried to use it it rounded the sensor off whilst showering rust in my eyes hence the suggestion to just not.

A 22mm O2 socket was used but it was starting to round the bolt off so knocked the lamp out and carried on. Last time I took one out I had the manifold in vice, I had the big fuck off bar on it and it just managed to free off. Looked in a tricky place to get heat on it without mullering various other bits as well. TL:DR It will get a new sensor if/when the Cat goes. 

16 minutes ago, grogee said:

We need to start a group therapy thread for stuck bolts, studs and nuts... Just an absolute pain in the arse. Something that should take ten minutes ends up ruining a whole morning. 

IMG_20221019_111547.jpg

What about some bolt grips on it, or if you have a MIG stick a 10mm nut on it. Can’t quite see clearly but isn’t it a E10 headed stud? Whack a dispensable socket over it? 

31 minutes ago, grogee said:

We need to start a group therapy thread for stuck bolts, studs and nuts... Just an absolute pain in the arse. Something that should take ten minutes ends up ruining a whole morning. 

IMG_20221019_111547.jpg

A suitably sized bite socket should get that nicely. 

I've got a set of sockets which are absolutely immense, they're normal 6 sided sockets just with 2 teeth in between each flat. Brand is angry jester I think. I'll fish out the box when I next yet a chance and post it up. 

Either the bite sockets or angry jester sockets have saved my bacon on multiple occasions. The angry jester ones are great for crap brake bleed nipples, the bite ones got some very tight and rounded  caliper carrier bolts off a Jazz for me the other week.

Definitely worthwhile additions to a shite botherer's toolbox :)

On 10/18/2022 at 11:28 AM, sierraman said:

Passed the MOT, looked at the O2 sensor, it didn’t look too crusty but it was in tight as fuck, the tool was starting to slip so I’ve took the easy way out and knocked the EML out for the test. I’ll look into in on greater depth of the Cat ever needs to come out, the emissions were all absolutely spot on. 

Result, ignore for another year is what I say to that :)

If an O2 sensor is tight enough to round off, they will snap in my experience, and then you're 'fucking fucked mate' because you're going to be removing that manicat and either replacing it or drilling it out and welding in a repair insert. 

Leave alone - problem solved 😆

31 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I've got a set of sockets which are absolutely immense, they're normal 6 sided sockets just with 2 teeth in between each flat. Brand is angry jester I think. I'll fish out the box when I next yet a chance and post it up. 

Either the bite sockets or angry jester sockets have saved my bacon on multiple occasions. The angry jester ones are great for crap brake bleed nipples, the bite ones got some very tight and rounded  caliper carrier bolts off a Jazz for me the other week.

I had to grind it out and drill, then re-tap.

I was using an impact stud removal tool (see my mechanicing thread) but it just kept machining the stud down rather than gripping and turning. It was stuck very fast and yes I gave it the blowtorch tickle too. Fortunately all back to normal now and awaiting re-assembly.

I did try lock-on pliers/mole grips (or whatever they're called today) but no dice. It was tight as a Tory second budget.

I will keep an eye out for the angry jester. I think I have some bite socket things, they bite into the head as you turn anti clockwise.

All that said I am getting close to buying a MIG welder. I can borrow my mate's but it's a bit shit, his helmet is shit, and I hate lugging the gas bottle around.

22 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

23 hours ago, grogee said:

IMG_20221019_111547.jpg

Ah yes, remembered what they are. 

XI-ON sockets, made by Angry Jester. This website summarises them perfectly, better than I did !

https://garagewire.co.uk/garage-essentials/angry-jester-43-piece-set-xi-sockets/

Edit- they're not going to help with that stud you had there, but a worthwhile addition to the tool kit

Only £33 for a different brand of the same thing here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295101880208?

When they work for you, after one use they'll have paid themselves back in the time and hassle saved and you'll wonder how you ever did without them 

9 hours ago, sierraman said:

Are they similar to Metrinch spanner’s? They used to grip just the flats.

In a way, yes. But they grip the flats differently. And I would say different applications. I'd use metrinch spanners for rusty track rod lock nuts for example

You can use the XI-ON sockets on crap exhaust nuts, I use them with an impact. Yes they're chrome and not impact friendly, but an exhaust not is not a huge amount of force like a wheel or suspension component. So I take the chance with safety squints! 

image.thumb.png.f5add93ab22560a8a93bc4768e635ed2.png

You can see how they work - the teeth / high/low spots or whatever you may wish to call them which grab the flats rather than the corners. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ordered a new rocker gasket for the Focus, it’s the Mondeo’s turn to show off at the moment. Pissing water in the boot floor, think it’s either coming it round the tail lamps or the boot that goes round the cables. Also it’s dropping the temp gauge when the heaters on full whack, think the stat must be going. 

• 1 month later...

It appears the PAS leak was back, I was right in swapping the hose as it was perished but it turns out the PAS reservoir was leaking, can’t really see it very good in the picture but the stub at the bottom and split, tiny, but enough for fluid to piss out. Anyway £26 later a new reservoir arrived and duly fitted and bled. Job done. Hopefully... knowing my luck the main PAS high pressure hose will shit itself next...

D57B2C4D-048C-418B-B6E2-969EEEDD3769.jpeg

86918788-6EB4-4810-B0FF-2A07B146E93D.jpeg

Next up rocker gasket, took the cover off, needless to say one of the bolts into the head snapped... fortunately I’ve more nuts/bolts than any good ironmongers so found a suitable bolt and reamed the captive sleeve out to fit it. Got the new gasket out to compare... and it’s fucking the wrong one despite giving them the reg and explaining it was a Ti-VCT. By this point there was nothing for it but to smear a bit of RTV over the bits where it leaked and put the fucker back together. FFS...

Whilst I had the lid off the cams etc look like new and the solenoids seem crud free so that’s a positive. Moral of the story kids? Keep those old nuts and bolts, I’ve lost count how many times they’ve got me out of a bind...

CA85AD0E-AAB2-4C11-8AAF-DCCEEAD97A91.jpeg

77EAE0C7-A5C7-4462-B7FE-96BE9AD7A3FB.jpeg

When I took my old Corsa B engine apart to make it easier for the scrapman to lift when his 2nd man was off sick, I kept all the male torx bolts. Lots of different sizes and silly thread pitches but they were all coated in oil and I figured they'd store well. If anyone needs any fixings for Ecotec-era GM engines, hit me up, I've got hundreds in a plastic tub 😅

4 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

When I took my old Corsa B engine apart to make it easier for the scrapman to lift when his 2nd man was off sick, I kept all the male torx bolts. Lots of different sizes and silly thread pitches but they were all coated in oil and I figured they'd store well. If anyone needs any fixings for Ecotec-era GM engines, hit me up, I've got hundreds in a plastic tub 😅

All those bolts that are unavailable new as well!