Wakey wakey!

bigstraight6

At the weekend, I decided to try and start the Zody after not touching it since the last time I drove it during the middle of last October because of the long hard winter we've had, it's sat dorment in the garage all this time. On full choke, it turned over for about 10 seconds and fired up first time :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Excellent! Mechanical fuel pump? Probably took that much turning over to re-fill the carbs. I think after that long of laying dormant I'd spin it over 'til the oil light goes (with ign circuit disabled) off before starting.

Excellent! Mechanical fuel pump? Probably took that much turning over to re-fill the carbs. I think after that long of laying dormant I'd spin it over 'til the oil light goes (with ign circuit disabled) off before starting.

Yep, and the pump doesn't have a hand primer. The oil pressure light went out as soon as the engine started turning over, and when it fired up there were no rattles or knocks. Bulletproof these old Ford straight 6 engines!

that's fantastic! I drove the CX all through winter - and....yes, it's fukkin rusting - four Glasgow winters and I am starting to think I'm losing the battle. I don't mind the little mechanical tweaks from time to time- that's what I enjoy about old cars but rust fries my scrote so I may duff it in a garage through next winter with a coat of wax for good measure :evil:

wow! beautiful car! i must agree the old cars seem so much more reliable than modern ones, i can leave my morris minor a couple of months an it will start but if my mum leaves her 5 yr old megane more than 2 weeks its dead! i guess all that useless technology on modern cars drains the battery.... classics all the way for me :D

Excellent! I got my Datsun 1000 out of the garage for the first time in ages and gave it a run on Saturday. Went perfectly. I have started it a few times over winter but it's nice to see a bit of decent weather appearing at last so I can actually go for a tootle around.

Lovely old barge - looks well in that colour as well.Original or restored?

I love the colour, 'Spruce green'. It has been restored at sometime, at least 20 years ago though, there's a few bits that could do with attention again now, which will hopefully be addressed over the next few months...