A Challenge for long term members

reb

I may have only been "here" for 6 years, but I've been around AS for a lot longer than that. I know we don't have many members who have been here the whole time, but I figured I'd try this anyway.

An amazing prize* for anyone who can correctly identify the source of this picture:

20220903_162759.thumb.jpg.c7019f1ec9981f33eb69d239be20ec4f.jpg

Note, I mean the publication it is from not the car.

I will be very impressed if anyone gets it!

I've had it in my possession for a number of years now, but came across it when I was looking for something else the other day, very good timing as one of my many stupid ideas is a print magazine and I've been looking at what I can do to make that happen. I've very much enjoyed reading this issue, would love even a PDF of the first issue. 

If anyone wants to write something, anything, for the magazine project I'm working on with a few folks, feel free to PM me. Or don't. It's up to you.

5 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

I still think AS is what an online version of Jalopy would have been.

Discussion forums and magazines (print or otherwise) do fundamentally different things though. There's a lot of content on here that I'd love to read in a magazine, but is just buried in the noise.

58 minutes ago, reb said:

Discussion forums and magazines (print or otherwise) do fundamentally different things though. There's a lot of content on here that I'd love to read in a magazine, but is just buried in the noise.

All true, there is lots of other stuff going on, but collection threads, rebuilds and general reminisces are in a similar style to Jalopy stories written by the readers.

4 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

All true, there is lots of other stuff going on, but collection threads, rebuilds and general reminisces are in a similar style to Jalopy stories written by the readers.

Exactly this. I don't see either as being a replacement for the other, more complimentary.

Magazines are good because you don't need to filter through to find something interesting to read, someone's done that for you already.

On 9/3/2022 at 5:52 PM, Timewaster said:

I still think AS is what an online version of Jalopy would have been.

All my copies were donated to a member years ago when I had to clear some space.

Would be nice if they were scanned and uploaded somewhere.

You can thank @somewhatfoolish...

I think @UltraWomblebought my complete collection last year; certainly a defining publication that made me the man I am today!

*Poor, weird, pitiful.

10 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

You can thank @somewhatfoolish...

I think @UltraWomblebought my complete collection last year; certainly a defining publication that made me the man I am today!

*Poor, weird, pitiful.

Not me, I did buy someones collection of Real Classics magazines.

James Ruppert (creator of JoyPal) still publishes stuff and has an occasional You Tube rant.

24 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

Not me, I did buy someones collection of Real Classics magazines.

Ah, then I sold all my Real Classics to you - and all the Jalopies went to... someone else?

(Sorry, there were a lot of parcels flying around during that particular clear-out! Plainly I've got muddled.)

7 hours ago, worldofceri said:

Could the ‘Hayburner’ business model work? Needs a lot of paying advertisers though presumably.

Even Hayburner are struggling with rising costs, and I suspect there's rather a lot more money in the old vw scene than in the "Jalopy" target market - who would advertise in it?