Collecting large German - now ML55AMG thread

Dan_ZTT

• 2 months later...

I'm very bad at keeping threads updated

I've still got this and have been using it once a week or so, not sure I've even been through 2 tanks yet but a nice thing to be in. It's going for MOT next week, place bets now on how much that'll cost...

Known stuff is just the front suspension ball joints that were advised on the last test, and replacing the missing lap belt in the rear, friendly local garage is going to fit one I got on ebay for me, between work and small children I never seem to have time to properly do anything myself these days. There will be something else I've missed though, there always is. Once that's done it'll be up for sale I think, maybe not straight away but within a couple of months, fun as it is I don't think I can justify keeping it for too long.

Could be worse... maybe?

602193322_Screenshot2022-12-05at15_24_50.thumb.png.541a485b7628cc9843abd0069d34d68d.png

It's all manageable stuff although the rear springs were a surprise, garage's regular supplier say they can only get them together with struts direct from Mercedes and they're expensive, but garage is going to look into that and get back to me, should be possible to get separate springs from somewhere I'm sure

According to Autodoc the rear springs on the ML55 are similar to most other engines (which I honestly doubt), proper quality (Sachs) ones aren't particularly pricey:

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/sachs/1231756

You could also go the aftermarket route with an H&R lowering kit. At 126k miles I'd definitely replace the shock absorbers while in there though, they will be at the end of their life if they haven't been replaced before.

10 hours ago, Schaefft said:

According to Autodoc the rear springs on the ML55 are similar to most other engines (which I honestly doubt), proper quality (Sachs) ones aren't particularly pricey:

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/sachs/1231756

You could also go the aftermarket route with an H&R lowering kit. At 126k miles I'd definitely replace the shock absorbers while in there though, they will be at the end of their life if they haven't been replaced before.

Yeah I had a search myself and various options came up on autodoc and ebay so I'm sure it'll be fine. No idea what parts underneath are still original at 20 years old but fair point on the shock absorbers, might get them done anyway depending on cost.

You can get separate springs for the rear but you need a proper heavy duty spring compressor to fit them as the coils are close together and extremely stiff (they actually look like a coil overs but without the adjustable bit) also the rear springs can be a nightmare to remove as the 3 bolts on top of the strut are a bitch to access and if the protective covers are missing they will be rusty and siezed. I used a 13 mm flexible ratchet spanner but even with the spare wheel and cradle removed access is tight 

24 minutes ago, goosey said:

You can get separate springs for the rear but you need a proper heavy duty spring compressor to fit them as the coils are close together and extremely stiff (they actually look like a coil over) also the rear springs can be a nightmare to remove as the 3 bolts on top of the strut are a bitch to access and if the protective covers are missing they will be rusty and siezed. I used a 13 mm flexible ratchet spanner but even with the spare wheel and cradle removed access is tight 

Thanks dude. I'm getting the garage to do the lot, bit beyond my ability on the driveway anyway to be honest, and it wouldn't be much fun in this weather... decided I want to get this thing properly mechanically sorted, won't be cheap of course but nothing is on a car like this. I'll enjoy it over Christmas then in the new year I'll tidy up some of the cosmetic bits, give it a good valet, list it for a wildly optimistic price on facebook in a vague hope of getting my costs back, suffer a few timewasters and then end up selling it on here for a loss anyway :-)

20221215_101624.thumb.jpg.2768c06b2281395676aad98df9cef7be.jpg

Retrieved from garage this morning, very cold, driven it quite a bit today, confirmed heater works well so all good. Was reminded when going for an overtake on a country road just how quick it is from 30ish to 60ish, very fun.

Still not really sure what the keep/sell plan is now I've got a bit more money into it, but that decision can wait until after Christmas. 

• 1 month later...