Collection Distance

Shandylegs

Just sat here pondering if I’m mad to want to travel 380 miles each way to collect an £1100 car.

Not particularly rare but it’s a good price for what it is, but it’s also semi broken which could turn out to be a money pit to fix (read: prince engine with snail) - value fixed circa £3k.

Views?

8 minutes ago, Shandylegs said:

Just sat here pondering if I’m mad to want to travel 380 miles each way to collect an £1100 car.

Not particularly rare but it’s a good price for what it is, but it’s also semi broken which could turn out to be a money pit to fix (read: prince engine with snail) - value fixed circa £3k.

Views?

if its what you want then go get ti

58 minutes ago, Shandylegs said:

Views?

Where is it? Someone on here might be able to break it for you help deliver it.

40 minutes ago, Cento16v said:

I did 300 miles each way to pick up a borked Activa, but Prince engined 😬

Been there done that, avoid!

An unwell Prince engine at that.

The only way I make any kind of sense of costs is to try to drive it back, rather than tow a trailer all the way down there. Have an AA card so sure all will be well 🫣

Honestly, if you can find the same car, without that engine, do it, but avoid that engine, it's proper shite.

It takes a lot to make me get rid of a car I like, but the R56 JCW I had was shocking for stuff going wrong, and it was always powertrain related, nowt else.

What car is it?

On 01/09/2022 at 08:32, sierraman said:

It’s rarely worth the agg buying a modern with problems to fix up. 

Never a truer word spoken! For the first time in my life I just couldn’t bring myself to do a marathon collection, for what could have been a world of pain.

Was a Clubman Cooper S up on Gumtree at a very reasonable £1250ono.  If I’d been closer I would have gone and looked as I do love the quirky design of the clubman.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mini/2007-mini-clubman-cooper-s/1440444754

That said, having never owned an R56 I couldn’t resist. Just how bad can they be at the bottom end of the market?

Initial impressions tomorrow when I’ve had chance to digest the latest purchase…

13 hours ago, Shandylegs said:

Never a truer word spoken! For the first time in my life I just couldn’t bring myself to do a marathon collection, for what could have been a world of pain.

Was a Clubman Cooper S up on Gumtree at a very reasonable £1250ono.  If I’d been closer I would have gone and looked as I do love the quirky design of the clubman.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mini/2007-mini-clubman-cooper-s/1440444754

That said, having never owned an R56 I couldn’t resist. Just how bad can they be at the bottom end of the market?

Initial impressions tomorrow when I’ve had chance to digest the latest purchase…

Bottom end of market?? Terrible mate

Still been working through the outcome of this one and it’s in the balance.

Yes I still bought an early R56. Advertised as well loved,  but also well used car. The big bonus* of this one is that it was fairly local and also came with a £3k bill for an engine rebuild less than 12 thousand miles ago.

The seller was quite right, it’s definitely been used:

The good: It’s cleaned up quite* well with a good hoover and polish.
The bad: I think the DMF is on it’s way out (just about the only part that wasn’t replaced on the rebuild) and I think the timing chain is just on it’s way out.  Slight rattle when first started from cold - completely quiet after that.
I knew these were bad, but 12k for a chain - shite parts or just because mini? 😢

It was cheap and is very well spec’d, so I think I could just about claw my money back if I replaced both. But where’s the fun in that - I might try a new tensioner, but other than that it’s getting run until it 💩 itself. I’ll take bets on how long that is!

Pic’s when it stops raining…