AV(W)AS

Cavcraft

43 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Wow, I flipping love these. Wouldn't have you pegged as someone who'd buy one of these but I'm glad you did.

Is it fucked?

Erm...

4 minutes ago, timolloyd said:

That looks like an amazing buy. Disappointed you aren’t driving it home!

Thanks. Would have loved to, but it doesn't drive, the brakes don't work, and it doesn't actually even start. 

My VW mate's been for a look and we're going to try his spare starter motor, as hopefully it's just that. The drive home would have been ace, it came from near a mountain bike centre in N. Wales. Not an experienced tower and had a hill start to contend with right from the off, bit of scrabbling and off it went.  Had planned to come back through town but decided to give the clutch a break, and used the by-pass instead. Stuck to a steady 50 and it was fine.

*Obvs, like, the photographs are all staged and the Range Rover towed it

Supposedly, it drove into the barn about 8 months ago, so we could be lucky. It's miss-firing or down on compression on the 3rd cylinder, my mate says they're common for this as something about that pot being behind the oil cooler(?) which restricts air flow. V5 (the proper, old fashioned variety) says it's a 1.3, though he says it's a 1.6 'probably from a camper' due to something about the engine code.

The radio never came on all the time we fiddled with the car the other day, not today. Until I pushed it into the garage, connected the battery and Abba's 'Waterloo' came blaring out of it. Happy days. Until two minutes later it stopped working again!

1 of my biggest regrets was 'growing up' and selling mine back in 2003..... I loved every single moment out in it. No weather gear on mine (does yours have it?) but loads of laughs and just getting on with it. 

They are marmite to own and drive - you'll find out instantly once you get it running. 

Good luck getting it sorted.... 

20 minutes ago, sporty-shite said:

I feel you'd be much more comfortable in an SLK.  I just so happen to know someone who may be able to help you............

Is this the campaign "Sporteh sells another car to Outlaw" part 3? 😆

No room at the inn at this point SOZ M9

1 hour ago, outlaw118 said:

Is this the campaign "Sporteh sells another car to Outlaw" part 3? 😆

No room at the inn at this point SOZ M9

It was more the "Sporteh persuades Chester based Vauxhall bothererthat he'd rather have an SLK than a buggy"

However, if you feel the need, Bob, you're more than welcome 😁

22 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

It's miss-firing or down on compression on the 3rd cylinder, my mate says they're common for this as something about that pot being behind the oil cooler(?) which restricts air flow.

The exhaust valve in that cylinder does have a very hard life and if you ignore the cylinder 3 low compression for very long, the valve head drops off and smashes the piston etc.

Guess how I know.

Probably only a couple of hours work to fit a new valve to that. Might even be able to do it without taking the engine out in the buggy.