Incoming! Smoll green A series thing....

groovylee

last night i didnt have much time due to working late and rugby training. but i did have time to make up some new hard lines for the front brakes. went to fit them and found that the nuts i ordered to secure the flexis were the wrong thread :-( oh well, back to ebay...

the front lights turned up, so i slapped them on loosely for a bit of a test. the main beam works, but the dips dont. could be wiring, could be the switch needing cleanining. more investigation required tonight.

more pics if i get time later.

Lee

I do that with the nuts M10/unf. long male/short male. I had them in separate boxes in the same drawer, but they are mostly mixed up now and I have to check each one every time.

Sometimes on your sort of thing they can be metric one end of a pipe and unf at the other, which is not ideal.

1 hour ago, Mally said:

I do that with the nuts M10/unf. long male/short male. I had them in separate boxes in the same drawer, but they are mostly mixed up now and I have to check each one every time.

Sometimes on your sort of thing they can be metric one end of a pipe and unf at the other, which is not ideal.

yeah, i think thats what i have here, the end to the car is UNF, and the end to the caliper looks like it might be M10x1.0. i have some brake line fittings for the ranger which i believe are metric, so i'll try them on the end of the hose and see if they fit. if they do, then i know ive got to order them.

it still needs a little fettling, but its almost there. ive ordered a slightly shorter wiper blade to hopefully stop it hitting the bottom of the screen, and i need to stop it hitting the drivers side, but ultimately, its about right. i think i also need to whip out the motor and lube the bits up in there, and clean the connections, as it is a bugger to get to. so better to do it now before i finally (hopefully) button the 'bonnet' down for the last time.

i found the issue with the lights - the switch was full of gunk. i gave it a good scrub out, dried it off, cleaned the contacts with the trusty fibreglass pencil, and then popped some silicone lube in there. works like a charm now.

did the same with the wiper switch and the washer switch, and theyre smooth as silk again.

i found no evidence of hazard warning lights being fitted, so i'll need to get the wiring together for that. shouldn't be too troublesome. i found a ford switch that almost fit in the mk3 mini sized holes, so i filed the hole out a bit and now that is neatly installed ready.

working today till late, so no chance of getting on it today. will hopefully have a little tinkering time tomorrow evening after the wifes first rugby match. brave woman that!

next big jobs will be the rear mudguards, which im amassing bits for, and he exhaust, which is going to be messy, ugly, and far too involved. but im sure it'll work in the end..... WCPGW?

nothing much to report today - had a busy weekend of rugby and work, so no real time to get anything done. 

i do, however, think i have the required parts to make some heavy duty rear cycle wing brackets. i think they'll mount on the rear steering arm bracket bolts, so i've ordered some 1/2" longer ones to account for the bracket.

with a bit of luck, i'll just need to weld the three parts together, at the required angles, and then paint them, and i'll be good to go!  something tells me it isn't going to be that simple, but hey, it's a starting point :-)

Lee

Tonight I'm mostly pissed off. Managed to enter the trial with lily in November, so the pressure is on to finish. Full of beans, I got home and set to fitting the calipers back on and plumbing them in. New brake lines made up, new flexis. All going well. Then I went to bleed the front calipers. Snap goes the bleed nipples. 😭🤬 All three of the damn things on one caliper.  And two on the other caliper are tight as you like. So they'll likely snap too.

I've managed to drill one out, but it was a right git. I've ordered the correct M7 tap set to hopefully clean up the threads. Fingers crossed..... I may be tempted to just run standard mini calipers in the short term while I try to sort these out....