Incoming! Smoll green A series thing....

groovylee

• 5 months later...

Well, as is always the way, stuff happened and I didn't spend as much time on this as I'd like. But with a local trial coming up in October, I decided to pull my finger out!

First up was the brakes. The rear flexis were now well shot, so they were replaced, and the brakes finally bled and operational. The washer pump had died, so a temp one has been lashed in for now. The indicators decided not to work, but a bit of contact cleaning sorted that. 

The big one was the exhaust. As a temp measure I have used an 1 1/4 standard mini exhaust, and a load of stainless polylock tube. It works, but it will be replaced once I can get around to building a proper system for it. 

This was the scene at the time of the work 😂

IMG-20230916-WA0020.jpeg

It is now sat on the drive awaiting a few jobs...

Wrap and fix the exhaust into place so it doesn't rattle around in the engine bay

Fit the required extinguisher

Find a home for the jack and tools

Build a spare wheel carrier

Fit some catches / locks to the doors

All by the 15th of October. Should be doable...

IMG-20230917-WA0005.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Today I replaced the throttle cable (it had a broken strand inside that caused the throttle to jam wide open on a test drive!), fitted the jack and tool box to the rear shelf. Also adjusted the mixture as it was running a bit too lean. Also cranked up the preload on the fairly knackered shocks to gain a bit more ground clearance.

Test drive was awesome, but the steering is very twitchy at 60 mph! 

Tomorrow morning sees our first event over at ivinghoe beacon, and lily's first time driving! 

IMG-20231014-WA0013.jpeg

• 5 months later...

I didn't do a great deal with it over winter, as i dont have a covered area to work in. Now though, the weather is a bit warmer, so i've been changing things....

first up is the suspension. all the oil had ejected itself from the ageing spax coilovers, making the ride a little bit interesting! so some new Protech coilovers have gone on. that gave the ground clearance a little bit of a boost. then the biggest change happened...

image.png.97dd4708c30f3f33264c9f483122f1ce.png

morris minor wheels make it a bit taller!

neded to make it a bit more presentable than that though, so got busy with some hammerite and the spray gun.

image.png.675bd07568ac62563f6e4787e817b41f.png

and then new tyres:

image.png.11aafeda2094f574c1fbef34f1e00306.png

much better! im waiting on some hub caps, which im not sure will work aesthetically, but we'll see. also need to address the rear arches, as the old ones were too small.

On 14/10/2023 at 16:31, groovylee said:

Also adjusted the mixture as it was running a bit too lean

Out of interest how do you know it was running lean? I'd like to check my Maestro but don't know how to. 

Thanks I'll have to measure my plug threads to get the right kit. 

I've never used one before. Is the idea that the Gunsons kit still creates a spark but it gives you a viewing window to see the colour of the flame and therefore the mixture - yellow being rich and blue being 'good'? 

8 hours ago, grogee said:

Thanks I'll have to measure my plug threads to get the right kit. 

I've never used one before. Is the idea that the Gunsons kit still creates a spark but it gives you a viewing window to see the colour of the flame and therefore the mixture - yellow being rich and blue being 'good'? 

thats the puppy :-) it's not the most accurate of things as it is very subjective, but it should get you somewhere close.

Good progress and great to see it out on an event. What class would it be in if used on a long distance/reliability  trial?

Hope all machine preparation is now sorted for the Lands End. I decided to enter for the first time in ages ,so a lot of jobs have needed doing. Just about ready now, but I’m sure there will be a last minute panic over something.

On 21/03/2024 at 21:34, Jenson Velcro said:

Good progress and great to see it out on an event. What class would it be in if used on a long distance/reliability  trial?

Hope all machine preparation is now sorted for the Lands End. I decided to enter for the first time in ages ,so a lot of jobs have needed doing. Just about ready now, but I’m sure there will be a last minute panic over something.

annoyingly it'd be a class 8 due to the rear enginedness :-( but then ive never done the big classic trials to win, more for the fun aspect, so the competitiveness never really comes into it. 

bike prep for the LE is getting there. need to clean and lube the chain, load the route etc, but nothing too onerous. what number are you running at? i'll keep an eye out for you :-)

That’s a shame, but I’m the same. If I can get around and finish that’s a win in my eyes. Number 306, Launceston start. 
Hope you have a good run and the weather gods are smiling.

I’m just off outside to check the spares and sort the boot, and that’s all the prep I can think of  finished…….

7 hours ago, groovylee said:

annoyingly it'd be a class 8 due to the rear enginedness :-( but then ive never done the big classic trials to win, more for the fun aspect, so the competitiveness never really comes into it. 

bike prep for the LE is getting there. need to clean and lube the chain, load the route etc, but nothing too onerous. what number are you running at? i'll keep an eye out for you :-)

23 minutes ago, Jenson Velcro said:

Number 306, Launceston start.

Wife is over in Bude next weekend - I've told her to drag her Dad over to Launceston so they can stroke cars, cuddle motor bikes and maybe wish you luck if they see you at the start.  Have a good one.