(Now Live!) 1000 mile collections two-day road trip

Hawkeyethenoo

5 hours ago, Hawkeyethenoo said:

Yes we did Cheddar Gorge, like Tebay yesterday was mega busy, still fun though. Now stopped about Stafford for food.  

The gorge is best driven through, as the rest of chedder is shite and full of total dickheads. 

It has a road called annaly rd  as a council estate and shithole

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/bs27/annaly-road.html

And hame. We left Okehampton at 9:30am. Very long, but enjoyable day and made it home on 'one' tank of fuel with 50miles range remaining. 533 miles 10:29h, avg 51mph, 30.6mpg. That's pretty good if you ask me. The car got better with miles, especially the brakes, few wee issues to sort prior to an MOT test on Tuesday. Will see what that throws up then. Cheers all.

Reg plate lights weren't working (stealth mode), needed bulbs and O/S front side light is out, more bulbs. HIDs were not that great on the motorway last night, probably a mixture of faded lenses and aging D2R bulbs. They seem to range in price from about £8 to £80. Anyone got a recommendation? Osram?

7 hours ago, Jenson Velcro said:

Nice car, and excellent collection. None of this ‘if only you were closer mate’

I have lost track of your fleet. I have seen you mentioning your Porsche recently, but do you still have the Range Rover?

Thanks. Yes. Still have Reggie the 2009 TDV8. He's not so happy with the amount of attention the new 'upstart' V8 is receiving. Made me think, the three of them together in terms of purchase price = just over £9k. That won't buy you much in terms of new these days and that's two V8s and a flat six.

Update. Got reg plate illuminated with new C5W bulbs, front side needs a new bulb but has offset pins of the kind not available at the local petrol station. Will need to head into the city for that fancy pants, bulb. Also topped up the oil, took 500ml to be cockon. MOT tomorrow at 4pm so no need to panic!

8 hours ago, Hawkeyethenoo said:

Reg plate lights weren't working (stealth mode), needed bulbs and O/S front side light is out, more bulbs. HIDs were not that great on the motorway last night, probably a mixture of faded lenses and aging D2R bulbs. They seem to range in price from about £8 to £80. Anyone got a recommendation? Osram?

I removed the O/S HID today and it's an Osram bulb, so already been, 'upgraded'. Truth is that HIDs of this age are a bit pants and halogen bulbs are preferable. On main beam using the H7 halogens, they light up the road ahead like a WW2 searchlight, funnily enough. Don't mention the war, too late!

8 hours ago, Jenson Velcro said:

Nice car, and excellent collection. None of this ‘if only you were closer mate’

I have lost track of your fleet. I have seen you mentioning your Porsche recently, but do you still have the Range Rover?

Range Rover came from the Cotswolds, Porsche from Wales, CL from Devon. Distance no object!

Bulbs sourced and fitted, also tweaked the N/S rear indicator bulb and holder which was visibly not as bright as the other, this fixed it. Happy with my work, a full compliment of functioning lamps, it suddenly dawned on that I'd not yet ventured near the parking brake, why would you? MOT man will, best give it a stamp... Find a wee hill, not hard up 'ere. Give the pedal a stab and it goes all the way down, in neutral, foot off the brake and, we're off, rolling backwards downhill. I try again and sames.

Phone. Click. Hello is that Kwik-Fit? Cee. MOT 4pm. Cee. Cancelled. Gracias. No worries. Don't phone me, I'll phone you. Ciao.

Not sure what's going on there, but shoes and cables ordered. Discs and pads alround  also ordered, plus fuel and oil filter. We're off to europe in 9-days and this is the car to do it in. Away out shortly to see why the ICE isn't working, producing any sound. Wish me luck.

On 8/22/2022 at 7:12 PM, Hawkeyethenoo said:

The fancy pants sidelight bulb is an H6W. Most bulb finder sites wrongly list it as a bog standard W5W (501), but it isn't. Twats. Powerbulbs.com seem to be just about the only trustworthy guide in this case at least.

Bit late now, but with a bit of persuasion a T4W bulb can be made to fit* in a H6W holder - I did this once with an Alfa 147 I was about to take for an MOT.

Mind you T4W is less bright than H6W so if you only replace one the tester will probably fail it on sidelight imbalance or something.