TwyRob's Roffle 406 collection and beyond.

TwyRob

So far so good.  I'm on the way to collect the roffle 406 and caught an earlier train!

That will help with the walk across London due to tube strikes.

Arriving in the big smoke now. Just an hours walk across town to the next station and all should be well.

Fingers crossed!

Let's hope the car runs better than the Saab I collected in the first week of August. I paid for it and collected a week later while the bloke was on holiday only to be greeted by a flat battery...

Rob

IMG_20220819_081817.jpg

IMG_20220819_084914.jpg

• TwyRob changed the title to TwyRob's Roffle 406 collection and beyond.
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TwyRob said:

MOT today. Expecting a fail and will be pleasantly surprised if it's anything else.

The car cost me £30, so it'd be unreasonable to be too hopeful!

No rust on previous MOTs, looks like it might be just brakes and tyres. 

Fail!

Indicator colour (hmmm, look orange to me)

Steering rack gaiter (easy)

Rose bush to the rear hub (looks to be a right pain)

Therefore, it's going to the ASM scrapyard for £330 collected. Simply not worth the work for me.

Sad but an economically sound choice I feel as it's worth about £500 with an MOT.

On 9/2/2022 at 6:35 PM, TwyRob said:

Also, the speedo randomly dropped to 0 a few times today within a few mins.

On mine this was a simple fix - new speed sensor (replaced by me garage, not me)

These are good cars - would be a shame to scrap it for minor problems.

These are good cars - would be a shame to scrap it for minor problems.

I agree, it will be and is at odds with my general approach to these things.

However:

1. I have no knowledge of these vehicles so the suspension bush would involve a learning curve for me involving time I do not have.

2. As above, time is an issue. As I work 50 hours a week + 10 hours a week of commuting, fixing an old Peugeot isn't something I really want to prioritise on the weekend.

3. Given 2, I would need to spend money on garage labour and that will push the repairs and retest to £250 absolute minimum. Getting the car to a garage would be hassle too.

4. As I bought the car for £30 in a roffle with probably £70 of diesel in the tank it is pretty much disposable, I like it but not enough to put money into it.

5. I already have two cars + my wifes and I have been waiting for a lease car on order for about a year to replace one of those. This car was therefore only ever a short term prospect.

6. As it would shortly be sold anyway investment in repairs would result in a lower final profit by my calculations compared to just scrapping it.

If it had passed I would be selling one of my Saabs for about 20x the price of this car but it didn't so I'm holding onto the Saab and selling that next year.

Sorry guys, I know this is probably contrary to the whole forum ethos but one way or another I'm moving this car on without fixing it.

default_smile.png