2003 C5 exclusiveness!

maxxo

10 hours ago, Jazoli said:

It's good to see you are enjoying your car but it really isn't 'seriously fast', maybe compared to the vans you drive daily but compared to any other car it isn't, still as long as you like it.

Putting your foot down and using full throttle and all the revs won't break an autobox, warm the engine up then give it a proper thrashing.

i did it

coming off a roundabout today i decided to be a right hooligan and i pushed my foot down to the floor!

it kicked down and did just over 5k rpm

bloody hell it shot off!

it feels seriously fast to me as it's the fastest and most powerful car i've ever owned

9 hours ago, loserone said:

Even in the 206 GTi the EW10 isn't that fast; it's nippy enough, but not *fast*.  

the only other cars i've driven really are well, broken ish HDis and this feels way quicker!

XM is fast but not this fast

21 hours ago, maxxo said:

i did it

coming off a roundabout today i decided to be a right hooligan and i pushed my foot down to the floor!

it kicked down and did just over 5k rpm

bloody hell it shot off!

it feels seriously fast to me as it's the fastest and most powerful car i've ever owned

try taking the old mans civic for a 5/6000 rpm hoon- that will feel fast! 😉

• 3 weeks later...

just got back from said road trip

i feel surprisingly fine, zero issues at all from the car, it was absolutely great!

fuel economy......51 to the gallon across the whole trip, i wasn't bimbling along either!

whilst in wales.....got round to doing a job

315008144_861687068578264_928158051994885877_n.thumb.jpg.74d3953a24cdfe5c826cbbefe472569c.jpg

airbox out, few things moved out the way

also note the nearly new halfords battery! nice surprise!

308655865_515540233785519_2852129698892712120_n.thumb.jpg.fa345e3e029ab301f9faa3d77f1f3c2a.jpg

mmmmmmm draining

yes, i'm saving the AL4

this is what came out

now why yes, it may look awful but there was already oil and crap in the bottom of the bowl

314694134_3194661624179647_2755274124948600243_n.thumb.jpg.7e65ba84415ba2307fbf77e32359eab4.jpg

this is what it looked like on my finger

314995570_511353530895090_7250631809306550797_n.thumb.jpg.c52d5b3f68ab484201a57a1cc209ecd3.jpg

not too bad i must say, slight tint to it but not black

didn't smell or taste burned either

so popped 3L of new fluid it

and can i just say, wow, it feels transformed, shifts beautifully every single time now

yes, it's an AL4 that shifts smoothly!

AL4 is a good gearbox, i don't care what people say

1 minute ago, GagaStan said:

51mpg, that’s unbelievable!! Is that what the car says, or what you calculate from a refuel? In my Jazz there’s a notorious discrepancy 😅

glad the gearbox is even more improved too

car said 45 but it hasn't been reset for a good while

that's calculated on 2 websites as well as my own mediocre maths

didn't even use a full tank when i went to refuel!

i cannot believe a large petrol auto from the early 2000s is this economical, i'm very very impressed

6 minutes ago, maxxo said:

car said 45 but it hasn't been reset for a good while

that's calculated on 2 websites as well as my own mediocre maths

didn't even use a full tank when i went to refuel!

i cannot believe a large petrol auto from the early 2000s is this economical, i'm very very impressed

I’m so so impressed! Having that level of comfort and economy, I never would’ve  thought it possible. How does it do it!!

my automatic BX only does 25-30mpg, rip

Just now, GagaStan said:

I’m so so impressed! Having that level of comfort and economy, I never would’ve  thought it possible. How does it do it!!

my automatic BX only does 25-30mpg, rip

around town you're looking at around 35 from this which is fine with me

but it's almost modern diesel level on a steady run

obviously if you push it then it'll shoot down, but say 65 on a motorway it'll sit at 50 mpg according to the computer which i've found to be relatively accurate

1 hour ago, maxxo said:

took it for a drive this morning just to see how the gearbox is from cold

it seems the fluid change has made an AL4 shift like a good automatic!

it feels great, to the point where most the time you can't feel it shift!

Great. Better than the last gearbox then!

as to MPG computer, even in the new fiat there’s a discrepancy- filled up yesterday with 38litres of e5 at 385 miles which is more or less 46mpg but computer says 43. Range left was 99miles on the fifty litre tank. From ancient memory the average on my petrol c5 was about 38mpg.

9 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Great. Better than the last gearbox then!

as to MPG computer, even in the new fiat there’s a discrepancy- filled up yesterday with 38litres of e5 at 385 miles which is more or less 46mpg but computer says 43. Range left was 99miles on the fifty litre tank. From ancient memory the average on my petrol c5 was about 38mpg.

i've found C5s to under read

i was driving a bit for economy, but not ridiculously slow or anything and i had moments of 70+ running

i only use vpower in it though, so that may help

• 3 weeks later...

filled it with XM bits on saturday

May be an image of outdoors

these are very practical cars, you can fit absolutely loads in them with the seats folded

did a 420 mile trip on saturday and averaged 46 mpg that includes glasgow city centre traffic and being well loaded on my return

otherwise absolutely nothing to report

it's being a perfect car, no problems

passenger front door lock can be a little sticky and rear drivers still doesn't open but that's it

what a good purchase this has been

at 41,000 miles now