The worst car you’ve ever owned

maxxo

1 hour ago, Sham said:

Is that common then? Mine is silent on the road. The 3 year and 30k mile Suzuki has more rattles, creaks and groans than the 125k and 12 year old Skoda.

It was more common on the first loads of Skodas. The Fabia Mk1 was notorious for noises emanating from the dash. Mine isn't too bad, but I've had most of the dash in bits to sort out the noises and other issues that cropped up.

13 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Definitely the 1982 Morris Ital 1.7HL estate I bought in 1986.Had it for 2 1/2years and everything seemed to fail on it. Front suspension joints, exhaust valves, propshaft, diff, rear brakes, throttle cable are just some that come to mind. Finally got rid when oil consumption increased to 37 miles per pint. Could have forgiven it if it had been economical, nice to drive, practical etc. But it had no redeeming features whatsoever apart from the fact it was at least easy to work on. Ironically would quite fancy one today as a plaything. Would want a 1.3 though as they're nicer to drive and think the saloons look better as well. Or a mk 2 Marina. 

Another vote here for the Ital, without a shadow of doubt the most hateful pile of misery ever to wear 4 wheels, I hated it in the 80's and 30 odd years later I still f@cking hate it every time I think about every  mile I spent suffering behind the wheel, I was almost glad when it didn't work so I didn't have to drive it, the looks, the reliability, the ride quality,  build quality, I'd have been better off building my own car out of my old mechano set.

23 hours ago, chaseracer said:

It was a car I'd always wanted, with the right engine and transmission.  

It never ran properly for long (but was spellbinding when it did) and was so rotten I think it had been parked in the sea at some point.  

It was cheap but a total money pit, and eventually I cut my losses and sold it for spears & reapers.

I bought it from a good friend - who is still a good friend!  To his eternal credit, he made it very clear that it was not the best example of the breed...

🤔🤔🤔

1984 Ford Sierra 2.3 Ghia estate, absolutely horrible. Dreadful drive and fuel consumption. The only thing it did well was rust when it was only 11 years old in my ownership.  A real low point for Ford as you see more 1960’s Fords at classic car shows than anything from this age.

6 minutes ago, bigstraight6 said:

1984 Ford Sierra 2.3 Ghia estate, absolutely horrible. Dreadful drive and fuel consumption. The only thing it did well was rust when it was only 11 years old in my ownership.  A real low point for Ford as you see more 1960’s Fords at classic car shows than anything from this age.

In fairness I suspect that the mod and rock'n'roll revivals put a lot of fifties and sixties Fords that would otherwise have been banger raced into preservation.  The custom car scene probably helped too, meaning that Zephyrs and Consuls and the like never quite became worthless and, crucially, never entirely friendless.  What would you have paid for an A-reg Sierra back in 2004?  Not a lot.  More to the point, who cared about A-reg Sierras in 2004?  Nobody.  Pre-scrappage you could get a mark one Mondeo for under a grand; you'd have been mad to have chosen a Sierra over that, so most ended up terminally unloved.  They didn't generate the nostalgia the early cars did.  But then much of the affection was for the 'three graces', I think.  Pops will always interest rodders, everyone loves the Capri and some people like the Crayfords, but what of the Corsair and the 100e and the V8 Pilot?  Prices seem to get lower the further one deviates from the beaten track.  

Oh and worst car?  A Citroen Xantia diesel.  The clutch cable retaining clevis broke.  The heater never worked and the cooling system leaked and the tail lights fell out and on and on it went.  The car I liked the least, however, was a BMW 3 Series.  You pays your money...

1 hour ago, Shedking said:

Another vote here for the Ital, without a shadow of doubt the most hateful pile of misery ever to wear 4 wheels, I hated it in the 80's and 30 odd years later I still f@cking hate it every time I think about every  mile I spent suffering behind the wheel, I was almost glad when it didn't work so I didn't have to drive it, the looks, the reliability, the ride quality,  build quality, I'd have been better off building my own car out of my old mechano set.

I hear you, but it was basically a Minor in a dress, or maybe a smock. Lots of girls were called Marina tho. Just saying...

36 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Lots of girls were called Marina tho. Just saying...

But over what period?  Was it the Stingray influence?  I worked with a lad in the early 90s whose gf was named Marina, and she would have predated the car.

The worst car I had is probably the current taxi, a 2020 Skoda Octavia 1.5 TSI. Bought to replace a 200k (still going strong with a new owner) 1.6 TDI Octavia due to LEZ considerations. 

The ride is crashy beyond belief, the seats kill my back. It apparently has 150hp but can be beaten away from the lights by a Kia Picanto but then all the power suddenly arrives in third gear and you don’t need it then. 

The drive is wholly inconsistent, one minute smooth and then the next bogged down and chuggy and it’s making noises under load that lead me to believe there’s something sinister happening, it’s still under warranty for another 4k miles and is going in next week but the dealers are awful.  It’s very poor to drive slowly and driving it for 10 hours a day is beginning to affect my mental health.  

10 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

But over what period?  Was it the Stingray influence?  I worked with a lad in the early 90s whose gf was named Marina, and she would have predated the car.

According to the ONS list of twentieth century names, 'Marina' was the 35th most popular name for baby girls in 1934.  It has not made the top hundred before or since, however.  Marina is a Greek name, and the flurry of interest in it may well have been prompted by the August 1934 announcement of the forthcoming marriage of Prince George and Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark.

3 hours ago, GregZX said:

The worst car I had is probably the current taxi, a 2020 Skoda Octavia 1.5 TSI. Bought to replace a 200k (still going strong with a new owner) 1.6 TDI Octavia due to LEZ considerations. 

The ride is crashy beyond belief, the seats kill my back. It apparently has 150hp but can be beaten away from the lights by a Kia Picanto but then all the power suddenly arrives in third gear and you don’t need it then. 

The drive is wholly inconsistent, one minute smooth and then the next bogged down and chuggy and it’s making noises under load that lead me to believe there’s something sinister happening, it’s still under warranty for another 4k miles and is going in next week but the dealers are awful.  It’s very poor to drive slowly and driving it for 10 hours a day is beginning to affect my mental health.  

Has it had the factory remap done? Our 2019 Kodiaq 1.5 TSI was recalled for 'lack of torque at low RPM' or words to that affect. They basically applied a new map to the car, and it filled some (not all) holes in the lower RPM torque which made it nicer to drive. It still has its laggy moments though.

34 minutes ago, Liggle said:

Has it had the factory remap done? Our 2019 Kodiaq 1.5 TSI was recalled for 'lack of torque at low RPM' or words to that affect. They basically applied a new map to the car, and it filled some (not all) holes in the lower RPM torque which made it nicer to drive. It still has its laggy moments though.

Im not sure tbh. I’ll ask at the dealers when I’m in. It doesn’t do the kangarooing that they were infamous for but it either screams its head off as you try and move up the gears to beat the Picanto or it moves smoothly and quickly. 

It’s developed an engine rattle that manifests itself as a loud revving noise with vibration as you put load on through 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Sounds like an exhaust blow but when you drive alongside walls and parked cars you can hear the rattle. My gut tells me it’s the turbo but the car still drives normally* and no fault codes have been thrown up. 

1997 Mazda 323 P(now, nothing against Mazda, but in retrospect I should have run away FAST!

Owned it for 3 months, and of those 3 months it spent 2 at the shop.

2 alternators and a un-honoured recall by a previous owner(which was the source of the alternator problems)

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro