Should Austin Rover have become Triumph instead of Rover?

garethj

Because badging a fucking Montego as a Rover wasn’t fooling anyone.

I was watching a YouTube episode about the Triumph Dolomite and whilst it suffered with the usual BL things of underdevelopment, carrying on too long against the competition etc, would the Triumph badge have been better for the 1990s and beyond?

Rover had a strong brand image, but perhaps it wasn’t an especially good one.  Promoting a brand which was (back in the ‘50s) seen as solid is ok when people aspired to be a bank manager.  By the ‘80s, and looking at brands that really leapt forward, maybe a sports saloon would have been better than a steady one?

A couple of weeks ago I bought a very tatty BMW 325CI,E46.Drove it briefly before passing it on to my son. Somehow it felt special and kind of better than, say a Vauxhall or Ford or.... of the same era. Now that car can trace its lineage, unbroken, back to the 02 range, and forward to the current 3 series. Contemporary to the 02 range was the Triumph Dolomite, RWD, a car with performance and sporting aspirations and a touch of luxury. Driving the E46 with its straight  six and RWD, I couldn't help thinking this should be British. Instead the Dolomite was dead and unreplaced by the early eighties. BMW was still a small player in the UK,and folk bought "sporting" versions of Cortinas, Sierras, Cavaliers etc. Even Montegos. A type of car that has gone the way of the dinosaurs in recent years. Just made me a bit sad. I'm old enough to remember the excitement when the Dolomite Sprint was launched in 1973,and can't help thinking what might have been. 

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

I don’t think so, the rot had set in that bad it was just damage limitation from the mid seventies onwards, there were a few opportunities to try and save it but again they fell into the same habits. 

Wasn’t a similar kind of issue happening at other British car companies though?  Vauxhall were in a similar situation in the early ‘70s but came out the other side because they made cars that people wanted to buy instead of the competition.

I just wonder if Austin Rover had more of a Triumph outlook instead of a Rover one, they might have done better 

1 hour ago, Timewaster said:

I think the R8 Rover 214 was a great car and worthy of the badge.  Middle England lapped it up.

Probably a good reason it was chosen as Hyacinth Bucket’s car, but whether it was good or not isn’t the issue… would something that was more like a new Dolomite Sprint have sold across Europe rather than to middle class English men aged 54-56

1 hour ago, eddyramrod said:

Erm, it wasn't.  Richard's car (we never saw Hyacinth drive) was a Rover SD3, the previous model.

I agree with my learned colleague above that the exact model wouldn’t have made a difference.

Richard may have been the driver, but I can’t imagine he had much say in the matter 😀

Didn't badging Maestros as Rovers somewhat debase the brand? 

Despite what armchair historians say about the Montego it was no worse that the Sierra or Mk2 Cavalier and a hell of a lot better than a Talbot Solara or Renner 18 but badging it as a Rover might have been a step too far. 

7 minutes ago, garethj said:

I agree with my learned colleague above that the exact model wouldn’t have made a difference.

Richard may have been the driver, but I can’t imagine he had much say in the matter 😀

Tbf, I agree; Hyacinth most likely did choose the car, and even the colour, but give a pedant an even break, ok?  Richard still drove.

Also, none of their lives were real.

7 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

Didn't badging Maestros as Rovers somewhat debase the brand? 

I don't think any Minis, Maestros or Montegos ever had a Rover badge.

The V5 may say rover, but the cars were just Mini, Maestro or Montego

MG was a used on Ado16's in the 60s and 70s. Surprised they didn't MG the mini when they decided not to pay John Cooper sixpence per car or however much. We got the 1275GT instead.

28 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

I don't think any Minis, Maestros or Montegos ever had a Rover badge.

The V5 may say rover, but the cars were just Mini, Maestro or Montego.

They definitely did on whichever motor show I attended as a spotty teenager.  Ugh😳

31 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

And another thing to consider, should ARG have badged their hot versions as MGs?

It’s another good example of them not looking beyond their home market.  Perhaps in Britain the MG badge was still ok but in Germany it was that dreadful old thing that was totally outclassed by the Opel Kadett coupe or the VW Scirocco

I can see parallels with triumph and bmw and the product line ups in the early 70s. Both brands had some common core values.

With hindsight elements of those values are what bmw capitalises on today. So on those terms yes, as a brand the commonality back then with bmw would seem to translate  into a more viable band identity today. 

A dolomite sprint is a sort of ancestor to the bmw m3, which has always been a halo car for bmw.

8 minutes ago, garethj said:

It’s another good example of them not looking beyond their home market.  Perhaps in Britain the MG badge was still ok but in Germany it was that dreadful old thing that was totally outclassed by the Opel Kadett coupe or the VW Scirocco

Exactly! The only country where the MG badge held any kudos was North America!

1 minute ago, HMC said:

I can see parallels with triumph and bmw and the product line ups in the early 70s. Both brands had some common core values.

With hindsight elements of those values are what bmw capitalises on today. So on those terms yes, as a brand the commonality back then with bmw would seem to translate  into a more viable band identity today. 

A dolomite sprint is a sort of ancestor to the bmw m3, which has always been a halo car for bmw.

See also mid sized executive car available with either a 2000/2500 straight six.

One issue seemed to be a desire to compete with a higher market segment. Rather than drive this purely through product (where they lacked the money basically) they also attached a more prestigious brand to the product the try and achieve the effect. All that did was to erode the prestige of the brand.

See also- launching the bubble 200 with an intention to compete with a higher market segment. Eventually they did a rethink and repositioned the 25 as a supermini which is what it was all the long really. Again a sort of denial or optimism despite the bare facts.

2 minutes ago, HMC said:

One issue seemed to be a desire to compete with a higher market segment. Rather than drive this purely through product (where they lacked the money basically) they also attached a more prestigious brand to the product the try and achieve the effect. All that did was to erode the prestige of the brand.

See also- launching the bubble 200 with an intention to compete with a higher market segment. Eventually they did a rethink and repositioned the 25 as a supermini which is what it was all the long really. Again a sort of denial or optimism despite the bare facts.

But BMW and Mercedes have had no such problems with their 1 Series/A Class?. Did the BMW 316i Compact of 1995 take the brand downmarket?

9 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

I beg to differ.

s-l400.jpg.940064c84956b3645b9c8aa47660707f.jpg

When the Austin name disappeared they simply became "Montego"

Ooh, maybe I’m wrong!  Perhaps I was just overcome with the Rover branding on the stand?  I could have sworn they had Rover badges on the show cars though.

The Metro was a Rover 100, wasn’t it?  Perhaps the lead water pipes back then have addled my brain