1963 Mercedes Benz 190DC Fintail. First drive of 2024.

Dyslexic Viking

I have to check if the Drosje signs are legal but I'm pretty sure they are. And I haven't quite decided yet, but I'm leaning towards the Drosje signs that would make it stand out more and also pay tribute to its history. And those registration plates were on the car from new and throughout the 60s.

• 3 months later...

Now it has been a long time since the last update on this and nothing has happened in the last few months, I have spent the time saving up for all the work that needs to be done on this this year.

But things are starting to happen with this one now. I got samples from https://www.tapis-deluxe.com/en/  on carpet sets and am glad I ordered samples as 3 colors turned out to be grey. I am looking for a color that will match / resemble the seats. The plan is also to change the door covers/panels, which are now home made, to original ones that are the same color as the seats.

IMG_20230331_093710_01.thumb.jpg.a4f19b2ab35242c66769a8eb01eb3ea3.jpg

I'm not good with colours, but after talking to my mum, who worked with car interiors for a while, I think I'll choose the one at the bottom of the picture below, which she also chose.

20230402_131203.thumb.jpg.6944dbb37d4821175f3a4e83a45b6b8a.jpg

I have also looked at seat belts and want 3 point belts now and think I have to go for normal black belts as I have to take something that is approved. This also has to go to the Norwegian MOT every other year so the belts will be checked. Black belts are probably not something everyone likes in a car like this, but safety is more important than looks.

But a nice surprise is that the b pillars have 2 threaded m10 holes which make fitting seat belts easier.

20230402_133106.thumb.jpg.04e8e15a9f5ccddf72d24e64e8f34dc2.jpg

And I hope to get this one out of hibernation by the end of April, the road salt has to disappear first and we have a late spring this year so it will take some time. But hope to get it started within 1 week or 2. And if everything goes according to plan, this will go in for welding as soon as possible after it has come out of hibernation, the only problem will be finding someone to do the job.

I think this covers everything now but I need some help with translation on ordering the floor carpet, adding a post on this after this one.

What I need help translating/ explained is this in red below. What is Edge Binding? I understand that it has to do with the edges but nothing more and I can't find anything when I google it. And what is the difference between the 3 choices? Would appreciate if someone could help with this so I know what I'm ordering.

1010705574_Screenshot2023-04-0215_24_29.thumb.png.f9c95e02312fe9021662bb95a2f01530.png

28 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

What I need help translating/ explained is this in red below. What is Edge Binding? I understand that it has to do with the edges but nothing more and I can't find anything when I google it. And what is the difference between the 3 choices? Would appreciate if someone could help with this so I know what I'm ordering.

1010705574_Screenshot2023-04-0215_24_29.thumb.png.f9c95e02312fe9021662bb95a2f01530.png

Maybe ask the company for some sample photos of the 3 different edge bindings. Prices seem quite reasonable.

44 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I would think edge binding is what is shown in black on the top left picture, I would 100% agree with Nullzwei in asking for pictures of all options. My guess is synthetic sewn will be best.

1 hour ago, CreepingJesus said:

The cotton belt should be something like herringbone bias binding, and the synthetic sewn should be a nylon or polyester woven tape that's fairly similar. The leatherette is of course, good old PVC. 

Thanks. This helped. Based on this, I googled a bit and then talked to my mum and she recommended synthetic sewn so I think i will go for this so I don't have to think more.

11 hours ago, juular said:

Sounds like my weekends. Except the weirdo is my imaginary friend me.

It's a shame that I live so far away, because i would gladly have you weld a bit on this if you wanted, then at least the job would have been done properly. 

I have now ordered the carpet set for this, the bad news is that my brain shit it self again so I have managed to order 2 carpet sets instead of 1 don't ask how I don't know myself, I also have 6 ball joints for throttle linkages on the way in the post which is leftthreded I don't know how it happened either I'm starting to think that I was droped hard on my head as young that would explain a lot.

I have contacted the seller but if I get 2 carpet sets, I doubt that I will be able to sell one, so the only logical thing is then to buy another Merc?

• 2 weeks later...

Not the most interesting, but at least it's something.

I received a package yesterday with new ball joints for the throttle linkages as the old ones are worn out. They were changed today.

20230413_153941.thumb.jpg.944640b37f365aff91244475c273b5ac.jpg

20230413_153948.thumb.jpg.3983730c6fce7f943157aef312ebc0df.jpg

20230413_153952.thumb.jpg.9b21288836bc0030e004a2d416579476.jpg

The wear on this is extreme below is a picture of part of the throttle, this is the upper spring mount and over the years the springs have worn almost halfway through the mount.

20230413_150930.thumb.jpg.3f4ab387355d1842783fad8157ed643d.jpg

Several parts in the throttle linkages are worn out and have a lot of slack in them, but it works.

I also had to change the gasket on the air cleaner as the old one has disintegrated. I got the new one in the picture below, but I don't understand how they thought this would fit.

20230413_153630.thumb.jpg.eaf482d941d4a600b1a3cc3f209c1a31.jpg

So I have to find a gasket that fits better. Pictures below of the air cleaner in case anyone knows of any gaskets that might fit.

20230413_153609.thumb.jpg.52156cf5c69ff697fb564409e49ff928.jpg

20230413_153616.thumb.jpg.dd0972cadc605e9f365bb5e0954d6a88.jpg

If the weather forecast is correct, spring will arrive next week, so I hope that the first start of 2023 will happen then and the week after that it can probably get on the road again if the roads are clean.

2 hours ago, rusty_vw_man said:

I have just been looking at belts for the van, come across this lot, who will do you a coloured belt which is ‘E’ marked, and therefore should be acceptable for your MOT https://www.universalseatbelts.co.uk/seat-belt-certification/

might be worth a look?

Thanks that is very interesting. They have brown seat belts which I think would fit in with the seats and car?

822676953_Screenshot2023-04-1920_57_56.thumb.png.3e423731b98f64436ebd0241800b9510.png

I have to think about it, the easiest and fastest thing is to buy from a Norwegian dealer, but then I can only buy black belts. The Norwegian dealer also sells weldable fasteners for the seat belts, which the other don't, which is also something. 

And I have a few things I'm wondering about which someone might be able to help with.

Transmission oil on this one, owner's manual says ATF oil I think, even though it's a manual, what is the ATF oil type that corresponds to the 1960s? Or can I just buy any ATF oil and use that?

Grease, in the owner's manual it says chassis grease, something I can't easily find, but I have a lot of universal grease for old tractors and machines that should be able to be used on everything, can I use that instead? This is to the grease nipples on the undercarriage, suspension, steering, etc. on this.

2 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

And I have a few things I'm wondering about which someone might be able to help with.

Transmission oil on this one, owner's manual says ATF oil I think, even though it's a manual, what is the ATF oil type that corresponds to the 1960s? Or can I just buy any ATF oil and use that?

Grease, in the owner's manual it says chassis grease, something I can't easily find, but I have a lot of universal grease for old tractors and machines that should be able to be used on everything, can I use that instead? This is to the grease nipples on the undercarriage, suspension, steering, etc. on this.

Don't know about the ATF, but the tractor grease will be fine.

3 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Worth sending an email to https://www.opieoils.co.uk/ to see if they have any ideas on gearbox oil type, they are pretty helpful, but a bit expensive. Just get the spec from them and find it somewhere else cheaper.

A 1963 Merc would be using MB 236.2 which correspond to Type A Suffix A. A waaaaaay obsolete oil because they used to have whale oil in them as corrosion prohibitor.

You'll probably have to get something labelled Classic ATF. And while a few brands specify that these ATF for Classics are compatible with DEXRON-II, of which I would and had lobbed DEXRON-III in as substitute no problem. When it's Type A Suffix A which is pre-DEXRON I'd be more wary.

Anyhow, they are very much available although perhaps not in every shop like it's 1970. I believe even Mercedes-Benz are still selling MB 236.2. Just go with something that actually says it's compatible with that. A few are listed here.

https://operatingfluids.mercedes-benz.com/sheet/236.2/en

1 hour ago, Conan said:

A 1963 Merc would be using MB 236.2 which correspond to Type A Suffix A. A waaaaaay obsolete oil because they used to have whale oil in them as corrosion prohibitor.

You'll probably have to get something labelled Classic ATF. And while a few brands specify that these ATF for Classics are compatible with DEXRON-II, of which I would and had lobbed DEXRON-III in as substitute no problem. When it's Type A Suffix A which is pre-DEXRON I'd be more wary.

Anyhow, they are very much available although perhaps not in every shop like it's 1970. I believe even Mercedes-Benz are still selling MB 236.2. Just go with something that actually says it's compatible with that. A few are listed here.

https://operatingfluids.mercedes-benz.com/sheet/236.2/en

Thanks this was very helpful. I struggle to find the oils in that list at Mercedes and when I search for MB 236.2 at my Norwegian parts dealer I can't find anything on this either. So I think I will do as you say and go for DEXRON-III, it will probably work just fine.

But when I say that, when I searched for these oils I see that I can easily and cheaply get hold of Mobil ATF 220 which meets Dexron II and various newer Mercedes numbers so I think this would work well?

It also says that it can be used in manual gearboxes, so this seems promising.

55132448_Screenshot2023-04-2008_50_50.thumb.png.561040915d7cb8629ec9a036d5ea337d.png