1963 Mercedes Benz 190DC Fintail. New charging system.

Dyslexic Viking

Got a problem with the bolt for the cam now. I can't get it loose. I had it out yesterday when I was cleaning and it was hard to get out then but I screwed it in without a problem and didn't tighten it too hard. But now it is impossible to get out and this is made worse by the fact that the bolt is 6mm and it is tight there.

I'm going into civilization tomorrow so will take this to the local garage and see if they can help as I'm out of ideas.

17 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Got a problem with the bolt for the cam now. I can't get it loose. I had it out yesterday when I was cleaning and it was hard to get out then but I screwed it in without a problem and didn't tighten it too hard. But now it is impossible to get out and this is made worse by the fact that the bolt is 6mm and it is tight there.

I'm going into civilization tomorrow so will take this to the local garage and see if they can help as I'm out of ideas.

Visited the local garage today and don't know what's wrong but he wasn't as helpful and nice as he used to be. So they couldn't or possibly wouldn't help. So I have to figure this out myself.

The bolt is 6 mm as I have said and a 6 mm socket just slips and does not get hold of the bolt head. I have tried other sockets, also 5.5 mm, but none of them fit. I have also had to grind down the outside of the socket to get it on the bolt head because it is tight. So I think I'll have to see if I can find some tool I can buy that can loosen it. But attaching pictures of the bolt in case anyone has any suggestions and ideas.

20221006_101125.thumb.jpg.0a6f4959b90157c03afb593a0c2be48c.jpg

20221006_101120.thumb.jpg.5f52f4af77aae2fd708aac39f7dacd78.jpg

20221006_101128.thumb.jpg.e6e4c220d5c2ce39e7fdf872ee824c08.jpg

Bad luck with that.   It seems to me that if you do get the bolt out, it may not be re-useable, so you will need another one, and it is not a conventional bolt.   The thread in the cam may also be damaged.  The easiest option might be to swap the complete assembly off another pump if you can find one.  

46 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

Bad luck with that.   It seems to me that if you do get the bolt out, it may not be re-useable, so you will need another one, and it is not a conventional bolt.   The thread in the cam may also be damaged.  The easiest option might be to swap the complete assembly off another pump if you can find one.  

Yes, this is bad luck. And I have thought about it and it is probably as you say that the threds are damaged, this is perhaps due to the fact that it has been mounted incorrectly. And the bolt is a special bolt and it is probably not possible to get it out without destroying it.

So I've been looking for this part and managed to find a complete one for sale in Greece that wasn't expensive so I bought it. So that should fix this.

You've got nothing to loose now then getting a bit more violent with this one! 

It looks like it is above the level of the casing, so if this were me I'd get get a set of mole grips on it - a set with decent teeth to get a good grip, a bit of heat and some decent penetrating oil. Your sketch suggests the bolt passes through the shaft all the way into the rear of the cam, so hopefully you could get some penetrating oil in from the rear as well....

If it still wasn't moving I'd be tempted to weld a stubby bolt to it - the heat of the weld will probably shock it free, and would give you a better head to get a good grip on. Once its out you could probably find or fashion a new bolt. 

28 minutes ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

You could cut a slot in the head of the bolt and remove it with a flat blade screwdriver, and probably reuse it afterwards as such.

It's a good idea, but the bolt is so tight that this probably won't work. And there is a high probability that the threads are broken. So I bought another one.

5 minutes ago, rusty_vw_man said:

You've got nothing to loose now then getting a bit more violent with this one! 

It looks like it is above the level of the casing, so if this were me I'd get get a set of mole grips on it - a set with decent teeth to get a good grip, a bit of heat and some decent penetrating oil. Your sketch suggests the bolt passes through the shaft all the way into the rear of the cam, so hopefully you could get some penetrating oil in from the rear as well....

If it still wasn't moving I'd be tempted to weld a stubby bolt to it - the heat of the weld will probably shock it free, and would give you a better head to get a good grip on. Once its out you could probably find or fashion a new bolt. 

I might try to get it loose but will wait until the second part has arrived. Because if I destroy this and the other one I have bought should turn out to be the wrong part, then I have a big problem as this part is not something that is easy to find and I was lucky to find another one. But these are good suggestions you have here.

10 minutes ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

The added bonus of buying a replacement is it will confirm the theory that the original one was fitted upside down.

Yes that is a good point and I have thought about this. Just hope that it is the right way according to the manual, if not then I don't know what to believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Also worth noting, if that pump has had the throttle travel that limited for a long time, don't be at all alarmed if you get an almighty cloud of black smoke out the back first time you give the engine any real revs under load.

Epic levels of clag are pretty inevitable as all the accumulated soot is blown out.  A few full acceleration runs now you've got full fuel available will probably do it the world of good.

Thanks everyone. And I would like to know why this was put together wrong, but we will probably never know. I just hope that idiot hasn't been inside the rest of the diesel pump. And it will be exciting how this behaves now that this has been fixed. And I hope that I'm lucky and the weather cooperates so I can drive it one last time before the road salting starts.

But I am very surprised at how well liked this and the thread are, I would never have imagined this. So this is just great, so thank you all for that, I just hope that I manage to keep the thread interesting.

23 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

It is possible that those modifications may have been deliberate to reduce fuel consumption,and also performance.

It's common  enough here with tractors to turn the pump down a bit to burn less fuel.

Probably unlikely in your case,but you never know.

It is possible but I doubt it. What I think happened is that someone who didn't know what they were doing worked on the pump.

I can add that I didn't know what I was doing at the diesel pump at the start either, but I wanted to learn and check that I did things correctly and the person who had done things wrong could also have done that. 

Edited by Dyslexic Viking

Please, please take it out for a good drive on the roads before they start salting. The smile you will get will last you all through winter.

If you are at all worried about any breakdown then don't drive far from home (10km in any direction?). Your dad can always then tow you home with a tractor!