Fictional engine configurations

reb

5 hours ago, HMC said:

IIRC Porsche had a go at that configuration with their sports car  racing program in the 60s. Some really interesting ideas with experimental materials, and for a relatively small company at the time, it got very expensive for them.

The peak of this was probably the assembly of the 25 917s in 1969 for homologation  where the 911 line virtually ground to a halt and even admin staff were on the shop floor assembling racing cars. 

IIRC that beast was a flat 12 that was basically 2 flat 6s joined up, and in original form would blow up if you slightly over revved it.

I heard Porsche were close to bankruptcy when they had to show all 25 917s in a line for officials, as none could be sold or raced until they mast muster.

I had though the flat 12 was in effect a 180 degree V12 as all cylinders fired one at a time rather than 2 like many other flat engines.

The Ferrari flat 12s were also 180 degree Vs.

On 12/08/2022 at 12:25, Spurious said:

They weren't much better when BMW took them over. I'd like to know how much money BMW pumped into Rover to stop them from going under.  They literally had not got much to show for themselves. 

The 200/25 was dated by the time Ford came out with the Focus and should have been binned for something new then. 

They were selling the Metro for two years after the Ka came out. 

Whole thing wasn't worth saving save for the 75 and the Mini. But they didn't have a good car for the important small/medium hatchback and supermini segment. Which is where the sales are and money to be made. 

No surprise it was split up by BMW, BMW kept the Mini and sold off the rest to whomever would buy it. Smart move as Rover probably would have dragged BMW down with it. 

Dont get the rose tinted glasses with Rover. They'd some clever designs but dreadful business practice. 

For a time, when BMW owned Rover, did they also own Land Rover. 

Did they get the knowledge of how to build 4x4 systems? Would the X5 have been produced if they didn't have help? 

Also, when Land Rover was sold to Ford?  Had the Range Rover been developed with a BMW engine, this commiting Ford to buying engines off BMW. Especially as it costs Billions to change chassis design to cope with a different engine. 

About that time BMW also owned BMW aerospace, near Berlin, which made small jet engines. They sold the whole lot to Rolls Royce, who factored into the deal the rights to use the Rolls Royce name to make cars, Thus screwing up VW when they bought Crewe and found they hadn't bought RR but Bentley. 

I was going to go and find the V8 Evinrude Volvo to post, cos it answered a long standing question for me, when I saw it: Performance Bikes late, great 'technical madman' John Robinson had built a 1,000cc stroker V-twin out of two Honda CR500 engines; I'd been idly playing with a couple of CR250 barrels on a mate's bench round about then, and wondered if the really neat packaging and tidy footprint could be used to some advantage. V8 maybe? And why stop at 250cc per pot? 8 x 500 = 4,000! 4 litre V8 stroker? Sounds fine to me... And it does, if the Evinrude Volvo is anything to go by.

Split singles always sound odd, I think. Almost like a twin, but not somehow. 

17 hours ago, Rustybullethole said:

Yes of course! Wonder if you can still get the rings for them 🤔 

Yes, yes you can! A mere E511 for a set of 2 rings + E87.50 for an oil scrapper, price per piston. (for the curious E = euro, old keyboard don't you know)

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nr750-1992-n-england_model3529/partslist/E__1300.html

Incidently, would they be better called rectangles rather than rings?

image.png.71b2635da87ed1022c338ce5dddfcd64.png

13 hours ago, Rusty Pelican said:

There was a 5 stroke engine concept in 2000 , development work was carried out by Ilmor engineering - a company i have dealings with , not sure how fars its got 

Another case of old tech making full circle- steam engines make good use of this principle.

That's not bad thermal efficacy though.

On 8/13/2022 at 11:06 AM, Zelandeth said:

Well not quite, but Oldsmobile did make a diesel V8...which was plagued by problems because they basically did just stick a diesel head and pistons in their existing petrol block.  Stretched/snapped head bolts were a recurring issue that dogged it for its relatively short production run.

The noise at idle is truly bizarre... especially in a car rather than a big pickup truck or commercial where V configuration diesels are more common over there.

If we're talking about the GM diesel V8 of the late 70's then that was  based on the 350ci (5.7) cast iron engine not the early 60's 215 ci (3.5) aluminium engine .

Most of the problems where due to the block not being able to cope with the far higher compression ratio required by a diesel.

I'm genuinely surprised engine parts are available for the NR750: being the most expensive production bike at the time (and eclipsing the Bimota Tesi on that honour by some margin), I wouldn't have expected any of the few made to have racked up enough mileage to need them. But then, that 750 wasn't Honda's first try at non round piston engines - they'd been doing it on and off since the mid 70s iirc, although the previous efforts were 500cc racers, if I am right. All of them ended up museum/collector pieces in the end.