Fictional engine configurations

reb

V10 Gardner shoehorned into a Granada Mk3, you should be able to see it starting from the international space station, extra points if you can fit a Voith transmission into it even if the driver has to sit on the roof.

It would figuratively and literally make Greta choke, I bet it would sound awesome though.

1 hour ago, Honey Badger said:

V10 Gardner shoehorned into a Granada Mk3, you should be able to see it starting from the international space station, extra points if you can fit a Voith transmission into it even if the driver has to sit on the roof.

It would figuratively and literally make Greta choke, I bet it would sound awesome though.

You can enjoy smokey old diesels without imagining a teenage girl who is correct about a lot of things choking. 

People have been linking flat 4 VW engines together since the dawn of time. Must sound interesting 

moped-army-39e51185e828cdfcdbcf52c0340cf458.jpg.d4a395c669dd41cc840466763331efe7.jpgmoped-army-2e3064614f5963de1ef27d6132f38abb.jpg.01999d7a7898780cd689ffefb4a3ec8e.jpgIMG_20190308_0004-1024x1021.thumb.jpg.a6e0ec94298da165936a7cd83d7292fc.jpg

I wish I'd saved the pics of the split window pickup with a second engine mounted upside-down on top of the original, connected by a blower belt. Was used as a recovery truck. I can probably find it somewhere on the net...

18 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Allegro with the Rover V8, three speed auto.

Cortina with a blown V8, manual/auto gearboxes

K11 micra with a 2.0 turbo engine from the Almera GTI.

Think the first has been done , definitely has in a mini, few of second one my own MK3 has been since the mid 00's (302 5 speed alas no blower).

Wouldn't be surprised if third one has.

Let us not forget one of issigonis little known retirement projects. To keep him away from meddling in the car division in the late 70s, after the 9x episode, a small sequestered team in his garden shed developed a quarter size, miniaturised a series based on the 850 a series. 340cc/ 8hp.

The quest for minimal encroachment of the cabin by the engine resulted in a power unit of minimal dimensions (and alas , power output) rumoured to be used by issigonis as his personal transport to drive (very slowly) to the post office and collect his giro, and visit moulton  and berate him until 1987.

I saw this 1906 Adams Farwell on you tube a couple of years ago.  I loved its design eccentricity - basically a Gnome rotary type radial, its vertical (axis) crank fixed and five cylinders spinning around it.  Surprisingly, not fictional and one still exists.  Similar engines were used on many WW1 period aircraft.

11 hours ago, bunglebus said:

I wish I'd saved the pics of the split window pickup with a second engine mounted upside-down on top of the original, connected by a blower belt. Was used as a recovery truck. I can probably find it somewhere on the net...

AHA found the blighter

https://www.oldbug.com/sowdcc.htm

sowde21sowde22sowde33sowde01

I'm deluded and clueless but I occasionally wondered if a 2T diesel + CVT wouldn't be an interesting combo. The engine spins at pretty much tickover the entire time and you just tool around on masses of torque until the CVT gives up a few miles down the road.

Unexciting but perhaps economical and fast?

That said I was taken around the block in an I3 'S' the otherday and my are they quick...

10 hours ago, HMC said:

Let us not forget one of issigonis little known retirement projects. To keep him away from meddling in the car division in the late 70s, after the 9x episode, a small sequestered team in his garden shed developed a quarter size, miniaturised a series based on the 850 a series. 340cc/ 8hp.

The quest for minimal encroachment of the cabin by the engine resulted in a power unit of minimal dimensions (and alas , power output) rumoured to be used by issigonis as his personal transport to drive (very slowly) to the post office and collect his giro, and visit moulton  and berate him until 1987.

We laugh but it was the sort of crazy shit you could imagine them doing at BL/Rover. Like the time they were up shit creek with their bread and butter range so they divested massive funds into dropping a V8 in a car that they knew would sell a handful or developing a sports car for an obscure racing series that nobody gave a flying fuck about. 

59 minutes ago, sierraman said:

We laugh but it was the sort of crazy shit you could imagine them doing at BL/Rover. Like the time they were up shit creek with their bread and butter range so they divested massive funds into dropping a V8 in a car that they knew would sell a handful or developing a sports car for an obscure racing series that nobody gave a flying fuck about. 

Other car makers get lauded for doing silly stuff. 

Rover bollocksed themselves up. They had the opportunity with the R8 to get back on the right track, chuck all these ideas of digital clocks inlaid in fake wood in the bin and make something that people wanted. But as per usual they ‘knew best’ so continued with the wood and leather despite everyone else moving towards brushed aluminium or whatever was the fashion. The 75 looked fantastic on the outside but again they insisted the inside look like a Berni Inn. 

Everything they touched turned to shit. By 2002 they were in the dire straits, instead of rationalising things they were wasting time and money on small scale projects. Then someone decided the City Rover would be an acceptable alternative to the Corsa/Punto/Fiesta. People knock BMW but at least they had the acumen to realise the game was up, take all the bits that could be profitable in the future and sell the rest down the line. You can’t knock them for their business sense. 

13 hours ago, HMC said:

Funnily enough, a chap I know has a couple of prototype Mini engines which aren't far off that actually. Two-cylinders, basically half a normal A-series. I'm not sure from when they date but I think it was the early stages of Mini development in the 1950s.

1 minute ago, sierraman said:

Another example of them wasting money on things. 

All car makers “waste money” on technical dead ends.
Ford and the Orbital engine, Toyota on two-strokes, 

Many on the Stirling engine and the Wankel.

Vanity projects such as small volume sports cars are difficult to evaluate as so much of their value was originally as part of brand identity and marketing and as such is hard to see in retrospect.

Ford and Toyota weren’t on the precipice of being about to go bust and nobody giving them credit. By the end nobody would supply them with things like radios as it was on fairly good authority that they weren’t good for the money. Rovers brand identity was irrevocably damaged by the time they started these half arsed ideas.