Fictional engine configurations

reb

What's an engine configuration you wish existed?

We've had a few good ones over the years that didn't stand the test of time, my favourite being the I5. What about the ones that have never existed? Which would have the most distinctive sound do you think? Which might have been a winner if only someone had tried it?

For anyone interested in this topic I'd suggest giving a YT channel called William Moser a watch.

This guy simulate combustion firing noise along with visualisation in form of light bulb and the result actually sounds a lot like real engine would. There's A LOT of theoretical firing order shown and also a lot that does exist but not in high rev application like in typical passenger cars.

I'll provide an example starting with 1.

21 minutes ago, Conan said:

For anyone interested in this topic I'd suggest giving a YT channel called William Moser a watch.

This guy simulate combustion firing noise along with visualisation in form of light bulb and the result actually sounds a lot like real engine would. There's A LOT of theoretical firing order shown and also a lot that does exist but not in high rev application like in typical passenger cars.

I'll provide an example starting with 1.

I was leading up to this:

https://youtu.be/RKT-sKtR970

It's an insane level of detail just to simulate the noise of an arbitrary combustion engine. I'm going to have a play around with it today, I was looking for ideas!

I'd like a 120° V6.  Short and stiff 3 throw crankshaft and even firing intervals. Relatively low centre of mass and although balance is not perfect like an inline 6, much easier to package than a flat 6, not to mention cheaper to make.

Porsche: 120° V6 is what your base 718 needs, not that dreary "Impreza" engine. Air-cooled of course!

A few racing engines have used this configuration but as far as I know the most numerous is the Diesel engine used in many Soviet-era military applications, thousands of which have been destroyed since February 24th.

503653487_Screenshot2022-08-10at17_59_18.thumb.png.2871b4ec97068ecce8295a9a5158a957.png

17 minutes ago, big_al_granvia said:

or a smoller version of the napier deltic for automotive

The nearest thing to the Napier Deltic in automotive use was the Commer TS3 which was a 3 cylinder opposed piston design - interestingly it used a single crankshaft with rockers and extra conrods. Fitting a smaller Deltic engine into smaller automotive applications might be tricky for packaging reasons but it’d make an epic engine for a Heavy Haul tractor unit.

Stranger than fiction...

20190615_161922.jpg

The DAWB 6 - featuring an air-cooled inline transverse 6 cylinder engine with a dry sump, displacing 1.4 litres and with three twin-choke Weber carbs fitted.

1446855208_Screenshot_20220811-0051182.thumb.png.0f8aff23d2d9d0cfc555a34594ceb8d5.png

The entire car was built from scratch from the mid 1950s to the early 1960s, with an engine configuration that I've never heard of - but then quietly pushed into the corner of its birthplace in a Belfast machine works once complete and almost never driven by its creator, Davy Woods.

20190615_161910 (2).jpg

Weird, and very wonderful.

Vertically opposed (like a Junker) sixteen cylinder but the pistons are in pairs connected to the crankshafts (like a Trojan, but there's two crankshafts instead of one) and it's rear mounted and air cooled (like a Tatra) and there's a supercharger somehow (like a Bentley) and it has mechanical fuel injection (like a Mercedes Benz).

I literally cannot imagine what that would sound like.