Recommendations - Car Buyer sites (WBAC etc.)

PiperCub

Chaps

Not having any experience of using them, I'm looking for any recommendations (or otherwise) for the 'We Buy Any Crap' -type sites, I've heard/read that they vary on how good/bad they are, some are upfront, others are clearly out to all but scam you and lowball/chip you on price. 

Reason I ask isn't for me as such, it's for my dad who wants to get rid of his car but at 89 doesn't want the bullshit of selling in the traditional way as he's also not in great health right now. (He's not packing up driving, he and step-mum are going down to one car as they do minimal miles). 

The car is a 67-plate VW Golf SV auto petrol (5.3K miles) and I think it's worth about £12-13K so it is something that the trade would like in the current market I'd have thought given they're always bitching about 'Can't get the stock'. 

Any suggestions? 

I appreciate that but I've heard there are good and bad ones, what I want to avoid is having someone show up after a price is agreed and start bargaining which is apparently what some do. 

When I'm next down there I may do the dealer thing unless dad does it first. I'd imagine their prices wouldn't be overly great as he isn't buying anything (ie: it isn't a p/x - just a straight sale) but I may be wrong, it's worth a try. 

"Motorway" is meant to be good. 

It's a site where I believe dealers bid their top price and you accept an offer you feel reasonable.

WBAC is just a middleman, they buy it from you and then sell it at auction to, probably, those same dealers. 

You can cut them out and get the dealers to bid you directly. 

The best way for modern stuff like that

When you go to these WBAC places you see dotted about, the people looking at the car are literally following a checklist, they frequently know nothing whatsoever about cars. Basically if it’s shiny, has the two keys, a book pack stuffed with receipts for Morrison’s Breakfasts and the dash isn’t lit up like Southend Pier then you should get the quoted price. I’ve known people put some right dogs through them, knocking bottom ends, head gaskets going etc. It’s a very superficial check that goes on. 

2 minutes ago, sierraman said:

When you go to these WBAC places you see dotted about, the people looking at the car are literally following a checklist, they frequently know nothing whatsoever about cars. Basically if it’s shiny, has the two keys, a book pack stuffed with receipts for Morrison’s Breakfasts and the dash isn’t lit up like Southend Pier then you should get the quoted price. I’ve known people put some right dogs through them, knocking bottom ends, head gaskets going etc. It’s a very superficial check that goes on. 

Cosmetic condition is *everything* to them. They’re barely interested in mechanical stuff 

4 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Cosmetic condition is *everything* to them. They’re barely interested in mechanical stuff 

These are people that otherwise would be flogging mobile phones to kids or working in Currys selling warranties on cookers to old ladies. They have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever.