Just how wank are 3 pot Corsa B's? And the 1360cc Pug 306!

warren t claim

I work in a Vauxhall dealers. I carry out MOTs, and I can honestly state that Corsas of any age are shit. They rot where you can't see them, unlike a Ka. Silly parking brake cable design means these snap with tedious regularity. Gear linkages pack up, CV boots come adrift, balljoints go slack, column torque sensors go crap, etc. I could go on.

How odd that none of those problems has affected any of the Corsas that have been owned by me or members of the family. In fact my niece's is still sailing along happily problem-free on a 'K' plate. Look out for it in Stockport! :lol:

I never knew a car could divide opinions as much as this. I thought any car was capable of prolonged motorway driving these days, I even do big miles in a 1992 4 speed Micra with no real problems.

Well today I had to drive from Sale, Cheshire to north Wirral and then a quick return trip to Conwy in north wales. That must be over 150 miles with no problems cruising at an indicated 65-70. All in a 1992 1.0 Micra with a four speed gearbox. I will admit that I would love a five speed for engine longevity and economy reasons but I don't know whether it would be a straight swap or not.Anyway, If a £150 Micra can cope with a prolonged longish distance journey then surely a 3cyl Corsa can cope with the same especially as it has an extra gear?

The Ka is an ugly little heap, and though I've only used them as courtesy and hire cars I wouldn't part with a five bob postal order for one. Nasty!

A bit like some gutless, understeering Swedish BMW wannabe then. Absolute rubbish!I'd pay 50 quid for a Sabb just so I could weigh it in as scrap and double my money. :D
Good for you, although what that childish tantrum has to do with the topic, fuck knows.
It's down your own post at the top of the previous page, fuckwit. Something about dismissing an entire model range apparently......so after deriding anyone who moans about Vauxhall Corsas you then go on to deride the Ka.If you can't stick by your own rules, shut the fuck up. :roll:

The Ka is an ugly little heap, and though I've only used them as courtesy and hire cars I wouldn't part with a five bob postal order for one. Nasty!

A bit like some gutless, understeering Swedish BMW wannabe then. Absolute rubbish!I'd pay 50 quid for a Sabb just so I could weigh it in as scrap and double my money. :D
Good for you, although what that childish tantrum has to do with the topic, fuck knows.
It's down your own post at the top of the previous page, fuckwit. Something about dismissing an entire model range apparently......so after deriding anyone who moans about Vauxhall Corsas you then go on to deride the Ka.If you can't stick by your own rules, shut the fuck up. :roll:
Get your head out of your arse and grow up fuckface.

Get your head out of your arse and grow up fuckface.
Aaah, what's up Poppit? Did Mummy pull her tit away too soon? Diddums! :D

and they do,no they aren't the fastest or most fun way to do it,but put it in context would a 1.0 l hatch from 30 years ago be any better looked upon in its day?imagine autoshite.com in 1980OMG 950 fiesta SUCKS BLUE WHALE WANG.

OMG MiniMetro 1.0 HLE copes very well...

Here's the thing about the Corsa B, they are grotboxes, priced down to sell to morons, who don't like driving. Heavy steering, bouncy ride, narrow tyres, poor ergonomics (window winder catches your knee) lacklustre performance, GREY GREY GREY interiors, ill fitting carpets, cracks in bodyshells close to seatbelt mounts, rust near brake servo mounting and suspension mountings, previously mentioned the parking brake cables, iffy power steering faults, and others. The problems to me is the fact they tried to sell it in 1992 as a new car compared to the ultimately superior Nova (Corsa A). Trouble is, it's just a curvy reshell of the same old shit. Then came the Corsa C. Like it's predecessor, but more expensive. The dreadful twin cam engines that were used first in the B models, were "improved" to aid efficiency, but in the end, the timing chain and head gasket failures get monotonous now. So much so that we get fed up fixing the fucking things. Here's a scenario I encountered recently on the phone.Customer. "Hi, I have a rattle from my engine."Me. "Is it a Corsa Sir?"Customer. "How did you know it was a Corsa?"Me. "Call it a hunch Sir."Customer. "Oh...........do they all do this then?"Me. "Afraid so... Can I put you through to service reception to get them to quote you for a timing chain replacement?"Customer. "But it's only done about 25000 miles and 4 years old. What about the warranty?"Me "The warranty expired at the end of the 3rd year Sir."Customer. "Do you sell used cars? Could you put me through to them instead please, I think I need to trade this in soon."Me. "Certainly Sir, we have a number of Fiestas on stock, ask for a 16V model, you can't go wrong with them."Customer. "You've been very helpful, I shall tell them you recommended a Ford, shall I?"Me. "Please do Sir, they will know it's me that told you!"Customer. (Laughing) "So you recommend Ford to everyone then?Me. "Anything but a Corsa......."Customer. "Do you service any make of car?Me. "We will work on anything. Shall I put you through?"Customer. "Yes please, thankyou for your honesty."Click.The customer came in later that day, and made a point of popping over to see me before going to the used car department. I confirmed the noise was indeed the timing chain. About 45 minutes later, he came back over, and told me gleefully that he had just exchanged his 4 year old Corsa for a 57 plate Fiesta 1.25 Zetec. He was chuffed to bits, and collected it a few days later. I got a wave and a toot as he left. Now that's a happy customer. He will be back in a year, for a Service and MOT. Nothing will be seen of him until then. Because he didn't buy a Vauxhall with their inherent unreliability and poor quality.There. I feel better now. But then, for all of Vauxhall's failings, the New Astra looks a good car, even IF the Insignia is a bloated warthog of a car.I mean, longer and heavier than the Senator, and available with a 1600 engine?? WTF??At least Vauxhall are still a going concern, unlike erm........ SAAB for instance. GM dropped the white elephant like a hot potato. (DYSWIDT?)

At least Vauxhall are still a going concern, unlike erm........ SAAB for instance. GM dropped the white elephant like a hot potato. (DYSWIDT?)

Yes..it was crap. :lol: The fact I own a 25 y/o Saab doesn't mean I'm going to be crushed by stuff like that about the make. There have been scores of great car makers gone down the tubes, but it doesn't mean that their products are all worthless. Armstrong-Siddeley? Rover? Bad management, not always bad cars.

Well let's face it. Anyone who buys a new car is a fucking imbecile unless it's something special and not too expensive. Top end VW Golf, BMW 1 and 3 Coupe, some Mercs. Something that looks and drives nice and will retain a decent (i.e 50% plus) chunk of its value after 2-3 years. That I can sort of understand because it's an indulgence and not just shitty transport.But who in the name of holyfuck actually buys a new Astra? Knowing that in 5 years time it'll be warning light infested unfixable scrap worth perhaps 15% of what it cost new. Mind you, you only have to look at some of the cars being traded in on scrappage to gauge the stupidity of the public.

Ah, one man's shit is another's reliable little runner. Personally can't complain about Corsas, quite the reverse actually.Is it worth logging on to AS though to trawl through threads with people arguing over shit cars?I don't think so, especially when it may be construed someone only ever seems to log on to stir shit up then disappear again for a while.

What the! There's a 1.6 Insignia?! This I have to look into, what on earth was the point of that? Mental.

Ah, but isn't it a turbo, and hence relatively powerful, like the 1.4TSI VAG stuff?*You can get a 1.6D Volvo S80 now as well, perhaps another future Hirst Cabs candidate?* Although I'd put it on my shopping list for 10 years' time if it does, in fact, have the Family II 8v 1.6 in it...