The most reliable 2006 4.2 Supercharged Range Rover in the world thread

Wack

• 1 month later...

I think I'm stuck with this range rover , there's no getting away from the fuel issue , 12mpg round town is horrific at £1.60 a litre but when I look at what I'd replace it with I'd need to add 10k to get something better , at the moment the only thing I'd consider is a new shape XJ petrol 

So my plan is to keep this for another 12 months at least and see what happens to prices when the post pandemic car market starts to return to normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Another day another problem 

The OSF wheel bearing has been noisy for a while but recently I've had a problem at motorway speeds , turn the wheel slightly to the left and it's like driving on a rumble strip 

The whole car shakes and makes a not very pleasant rumble strip noise 

Turn it back straight and it's fine 

So took it to my mate's garage where he started fixing it as the wheel bearing was the most likely cause 

20231028_111018.thumb.jpg.3905e7eac7a82893ce126cdbf22976be.jpg

its a big job on the L322 involving swearing , penetrative oil, more swearing , a big hydraulic press , more swearing , then reassembly 

Better mpg now though as all that rust on the ramp made it 1kg lighter 

Its also much quieter with the new bearing,  oy when I got on the motorway it hasn't cured the rumble strip problem , fuck 

Oh and a couple of weeks ago I parked it and this is what I came back to , and they wonder why people park them across two spaces 

Screenshot_20231028-152027_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.1d779ad8ae0aebad4d94e9dd8cab97ca.jpg

After a lot of thinking I've decided I'm keeping the RR so I've just dropped it off at the garage 

Rumble strip problem which now includes a judder on the brakes

New prop Centre bearing 

Sort out the eml which has been on since I got it , you can turn it off but an hour later it's back on again 

Fit a towbar I bought months ago 

Generally prod it with a big stick to see what falls off 

46 minutes ago, N Dentressangle said:

Might as well.

The kind of car that's fab when it works but horrid with those kind of faults.

My RRC is currently doing 9mpg, so think yourself lucky 🤣

Somebody sent me this , apparently a good deal because octopus are doing free overnight charging 

I pointed out the £24,000 for 20,000 miles to drive a Chinese POS , works out at £1.20 a mile which doesn't seem cheap to me 

Screenshot_20231101-192141_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1462b37bc69b0c12c4f30aeff66d3fe7.jpg

6 minutes ago, Wack said:

Somebody sent me this , apparently a good deal because octopus are doing free overnight charging 

I pointed out the £24,000 for 20,000 miles to drive a Chinese POS , works out at £1.20 a mile which doesn't seem cheap to me 

Screenshot_20231101-192141_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1462b37bc69b0c12c4f30aeff66d3fe7.jpg

Can buy one of those outright for not much more than that. I’m guessing that looks like a significantly better deal if you’re salary sacrificing it as a 40%+ taxpayer though. 

4 hours ago, Cento16v said:

EML due to supercharger coolant pump wired up wrong way round by any chance? Very common on early cars.

It's something to do with the ambient air sensor , fitted a new one but it made no difference ,Internet wisdom suggests  it's the plug where it goes into the wiring loom.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I found out what the vibration at speed is 

The original wheels were 20" with 50 profile tyres , the set I.picked up from a L405 are 21" with 45 tyres , same width 

It's not noticeable until you turn the wheel but the front tyres are catching the inner arch at the front 

Internet wisdom suggested they were a bolt on fit but apparently not , looks like a heat gun and a bit of reshaping is needed 

I'm really surprised a plastic cover would make the steering shake that much 

8 minutes ago, Wack said:

Well I found out what the vibration at speed is 

The original wheels were 20" with 50 profile tyres , the set I.picked up from a L405 are 21" with 45 tyres , same width 

It's not noticeable until you turn the wheel but the front tyres are catching the inner arch at the front 

Internet wisdom suggested they were a bolt on fit but apparently not , looks like a heat gun and a bit of reshaping is needed 

I'm really surprised a plastic cover would make the steering shake that much 

Is the wheel arch liner/undertray/water management plastics fitted OK? If it's missing a fixing or three it might bend into the path of the (slightly turned) wheel. 

Surely there's witness marks? 

2 hours ago, grogee said:

Is the wheel arch liner/undertray/water management plastics fitted OK? If it's missing a fixing or three it might bend into the path of the (slightly turned) wheel. 

Surely there's witness marks? 

Oh yes there's a witness mark , a groove in the plastic on the nearside , you can't see it when the wheel is straight though.