The 2006 4.2 Supercharged Range Rover thread

Wack

20 hours ago, Wack said:

Big day tomorrow , front abs sensor has arrived , if that doesn't cure the warning lights I'm tempted to buy a new battery as it wouldn't go past 4 of 7 stages on the ctec battery conditioner so might be knackered 

These do need a good battery,as do most of the Land Rover range.

Watching with interest as the Mrs has yet to decide on her next car,and a 322 is on the fringes of her radar lol

3 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

I had that issue with my discovery. Various HDC and other faults until the alternator put 14v into the battery then they’d all go away. Battery off a sprinter van cured that 🤣

Was yours a 3 or 4 , I still hanker after a 4 whenever I see a nice one. didn't yours explode clown car style not long after he got it .

4 minutes ago, Wack said:

Was yours a 3 or 4 , I still hanker after a 4 whenever I see a nice one. didn't yours explode clown car style not long after he got it .

Mine was an 05 D3 in the cheaper* tax band. Apart from an oil cooler, hand brake rebuild, coolant expansion bottle, all rear brake pipes, and annual service items like prop bearings, pads, callipers, etc it did me sterling service. The engine seized solid 6 months after I sold it. Dodged that bullet didn’t I? 

*still a rip off

1 hour ago, Broadsword said:

Excellent news! Cash it in now and reap the profit while it's happy and working. It won't get any better than when you drive it home I predict!!! :D 

This is probably true but you never know , apart from a bit of neglect through him being ill he's had a trouble free 3 years with it , no strange noises from the engine, gearbox seems OK though I might look into an oil & filter change if I can find someone I trust to do it 

I've only driven it with the suspension stuck on low , the MOT tester said he was really impressed with it , I'm taking that to mean it's got no petrol in it now 

It should be pretty choppy when the EAS is malfunctioning and on the bumpstops. This is certainly the case with a P38. I once drove a Jag X350 which was on the bumpstops for 220 miles (EAS pump was dead). It was an interesting trip and an excersise in smooth driving..

2 hours ago, Garythesnail said:

So - what could possibly be better than just one Range Rover?

One where the trip to get it doesn't involve multiple vehicles 

No trains from Preston to Blackburn so 

20220818_151750.thumb.jpg.a3e2e350e6649d9365096557a831672a.jpg

20220818_184301.thumb.jpg.423f48b14f15ee169180b80f85745f7d.jpg

1 hour ago, sutty2006 said:

Have you picked it up yet? Or are you on your way back to the garage with it? 

Oh ye of little faith 

It's not quite 100% yet , drives fine , loads of things that weren't working now do , locks when you start moving to keep the riff raff out , suspension all works , as does hdc abs speedo etc 

Just 2 codes wouldn't clear 

P0071-00 AMBIENT SENSOR NO INFORMATION

U0424-81 INVALID DATA FROM HEATER /AC control module 

The NS mirror doesn't retract and it only adjusts up & down , they think the sensor is in that mirror so it might want a new one 

I bought a Groupon for an ats re-gas so whether that'll alter anything I don't know 

5 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

Never fix everything on a Land Rover. The moment you do is when something else breaks. Now for the most burning question.. So how fast is it exactly?

Let's just say it picks up really well for almost 3t of metal standing over 6ft tall 

Useful too , just picked up 2x 3m lengths of coving expecting to snap a bit off to get it in 

Easy , the tailgate  even shut with room to spare 

20220818_191736.thumb.jpg.9c3969ace5d0c6ed696b1c87383b331c.jpg

On 8/16/2022 at 3:33 PM, Kiltox said:

Battery was causing various on and off maladies with my A8 too. Complex cars need a strong battery.  

I still think the battery is knackered , even after a 40 mile drive it's only on 4 out of 7 on the ctec , I'm going to leave it on for a full 24 hours to see if it can get it higher , the motorhome battery was down to a 3 but still fully charged to 7 overnight

Just got a price from Costco £98.13 for a bosch battery

The wheels are a bit of a mess , loads of chips but no corrosion , been looking around at a wheel refurb but £120 a corner won't be happening 

Just spent an hour with some wet and dry , I'd think maybe 2 hours a wheel would get them good enough for some paint , I've got a photo booth thing big enough to get one wheel in so I think that's how it's going to go , makeshift spray booth and rattle cans 

20220819_205316.jpg