The 2006 4.2 Supercharged Range Rover thread

Wack

One sleep to go, picking it up tomorrow

GR Yaris collected without any hiccups, collected by a Toyota dealer for £600 more than they sold it to me for which seems odd, , but today couldn't all go well could it, I've already had the kick in the nuts  , smart car has been great for 2 years, not 2 hours after the yaris went it stopped with a clunk and now won't go into neutral so I can't start it or even push it home, it's only at the bottom of the road and looks like it was parked on purpose though

FFS

I have been looking at RR of similar vintage. In a world of mad secondhand prices they are surprisingly cheap.

Obviously for a reason.....

• Wack changed the title to The 2006 4.2 Supercharged Range Rover thread COLLECTION THREAD
2 hours ago, Bren said:

I have been looking at RR of similar vintage. In a world of mad secondhand prices they are surprisingly cheap.

Obviously for a reason.....

I'm hoping this one has been looked after , he's had it since May 20 , only selling because of illness, only 2 owners prior to that , it's got 12 month old pirellis on it so no £800 bill as soon as I get it , I'm also wondering if a battery reset after the 4 hour drive back might cure the warning lights , he's not been driving it and low batteries cause all sorts of electrical gremlins 

18 minutes ago, vaughant said:

Good luck sir. 

Always drooled over these and you're doing it the right way, buying one at the bottom of the price curve with minor issues rather than putting 6 or 7k into one thats exactly the same. 

That's my thinking , there's no saying one 3x the money won't be the same as this 3 days in 

I see it as a 5k car so I've got £2500 to spend if anything major goes , though I'm not spending a penny until after the mot Saturday 

The train I had booked for £14 got cancelled , I could travel for no extra on the next train but it didn't get in until 11:50 which would've really messed his day up , he's got a train,ferry and a bus to get home 

So I've had to buy a new ticket which gets in at the original time of 10:37 , he's been good enough to drive it to Glasgow so I couldn't put him through a 9 hour trip home 

Initial impressions are good though I don't remember him mentioning the speedo didn't work , the AC is as he said , cooling but not cold so just gas as it is working 

I'd forgotten how fucking enormous these are , the exit ramp on the Qpark looked like it was built when a granada was a big car , drives great 

17 minutes ago, Wack said:

Initial impressions are good though I don't remember him mentioning the speedo didn't work , the AC is as he said , cooling but not cold so just gas as it is working 

I'd forgotten how fucking enormous these are , the exit ramp on the Qpark looked like it was built when a granada was a big car , drives great 

Speedo not working has to be linked to the errors on the dash. I wonder if it uses one of those sensors instead of a dedicated speed sensor?

From t'internet

Screenshot_2022-08-09-14-02-11-58_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.e5e14c669131478ebc8634648550c2b1.jpg

It was RHS front sensor that went on mine but the Speedo kept working. 

Give it to a trusted garage and let them deal with it, especially if it needs a new abs ring. And don't fit an eBay special.

Check my thread for how much of a fucking arseache it was. I had to mash fuck out of the driveshaft to get it out of the hub and then again to get it back in😳

https://autoshite.com/topic/24616-domes-shonky-autos-porsche-updates/page/81/#comments

Made it back , nothing fell off 

211 miles range when I picked it up so I stuck another 25l in it , got back showing 150 miles range so not too bad 

It's going to need work though , something thumps underneath when you accelerate round a corner , NSR has a sticky caliper as the pads sound like they're rubbing on the disc or it could be the abs ring as mentioned above  , the steering shudders slightly under heavy braking

I'll get under it later and see of there's anything obvious but it's looking like it's going to be inthe garage for a while , more than a Saturday morning anyway 

Overall I'm happy with it , the range indicator has a  Brian Potter mode

Put your foot down and it goes whoa man whoa what are you doing and knocks 30 miles off the range, take your foot off and thank christ for that then it creeps up again 

Adequate 😄, until its been in the garage and passed a mot I won't be giving it the full beans 

I was catching a truck up in the middle lane with somebody tanking it in the outside lane , it kicks down and goes well , the 3.0 i had just made more noise if you tried that 

talking of more noise,  that back box definitely needs to come off 

21 minutes ago, Wack said:

pads sound like they're rubbing on the disc

Could be the brake disc back plates (which appear to be made of tinfoil) as these can escape their fixings, drop down, touch the disc and vibrate around making screeching sounds. IIRC ours did that and we took them off.

30 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Could be the brake disc back plates (which appear to be made of tinfoil) as these can escape their fixings, drop down, touch the disc and vibrate around making screeching sounds. IIRC ours did that and we took them off.

Yes , that happened on my last one , you've just reminded me , that's probably what it is 

Thanks 

• Wack changed the title to The 2006 4.2 Supercharged Range Rover thread