The 2006 4.2 Supercharged Range Rover thread

Wack

8 hours ago, Wack said:

For those unaware I have form with cheap range rovers , I paid £1000 for an 02 TDi L322 in 2018 with a knackered engine,  I bought an engine on a pallet and had it fitted 

This is the 'new' engine running 

.......just needs running in 

8 hours ago, Wack said:

For those unaware I have form with cheap range rovers , I paid £1000 for an 02 TDi L322 in 2018 with a knackered engine,  I bought an engine on a pallet and had it fitted 

This is the 'new' engine running 

.......just needs running in 

Sensible beasts, how's the boot floor and rear corner? This is Ford electrics, isn't it?

I am not with the balls of steel opinion on these. Wallet, maybe, but they don't strike me as complicated - just slightly depressing when the rust or damaged trims (seat plastics, boot seem vulnerable) make the expense of maintaining what is now a £100,000 luxury car feel wasted. And most parts are cheap 😕

If things had been different earlier this year I would have fixed the sills on mine. And that was only reinforced by this:

029A63FF-8A6A-4939-8D34-5B5EAA1985DF.thumb.jpeg.04b14eddaee62281aa2f931fba5de4a6.jpeg

0E0EC1D7-D535-4301-8009-350EE1A33CBE.thumb.jpeg.0fa8eb526a4558ddf8a061812a9fea66.jpeg

D026526B-F352-4589-95D5-D42F8501CED1.thumb.jpeg.0be9957f6f957330e020e0b387513ce1.jpeg

Latest generation - diesel, and returned 42.8mpg on a run to Scotland and back in exceptional comfort. It does have many modern gadgets the new one doesn't.

But the comfort, the view, the waft, the air suspension feel, the refinement, the sheer feel of things being calm and right but also able to be very lively and dramatic...

...all that feels very, very familiar after an L322. The L322 was a fantastic machine, and if it weren't for those godawful neglected unserviced gearboxes and the rusting sills, they would be treasured and as resistant to depreciation as the Evoque has been.

1 hour ago, bangernomics said:

What an absolute hero with the best engine too. My dad has always wanted one of these so keep me in mind when you do the do.

Gzongenflatch

If I sell this one I'll be making money.  not my usual lose a grand on it 😄

1 hour ago, RichardK said:

029A63FF-8A6A-4939-8D34-5B5EAA1985DF.thumb.jpeg.04b14eddaee62281aa2f931fba5de4a6.jpeg

Haha! You arse! You’ve ended up in a field instead of half on double yellows, half in a disabled bay, with your tango’d WAG just nipping into Asda for dog food for the French Bulldog and some antiseptic cream for that tattoo on your neck that went gammy, before you drive back to your newbuild paid for by a contract extension for next season playing for Manchelsea Town Roving Uniters FC. I bet you feel proper stupid.

Yes, I have a bit of a hangup with new RR stuff and am very judgmental. Fight me 😉👍

2 hours ago, RichardK said:

Sensible beasts, how's the boot floor and rear corner? This is Ford electrics, isn't it?

I am not with the balls of steel opinion on these. Wallet, maybe, but they don't strike me as complicated - just slightly depressing when the rust or damaged trims (seat plastics, boot seem vulnerable) make the expense of maintaining what is now a £100,000 luxury car feel wasted. And most parts are cheap 😕

If things had been different earlier this year I would have fixed the sills on mine. And that was only reinforced by this:

0E0EC1D7-D535-4301-8009-350EE1A33CBE.thumb.jpeg.0fa8eb526a4558ddf8a061812a9fea66.jpeg

D026526B-F352-4589-95D5-D42F8501CED1.thumb.jpeg.0be9957f6f957330e020e0b387513ce1.jpeg

Latest generation - diesel, and returned 42.8mpg on a run to Scotland and back in exceptional comfort. It does have many modern gadgets the new one doesn't.

But the comfort, the view, the waft, the air suspension feel, the refinement, the sheer feel of things being calm and right but also able to be very lively and dramatic...

...all that feels very, very familiar after an L322. The L322 was a fantastic machine, and if it weren't for those godawful neglected unserviced gearboxes and the rusting sills, they would be treasured and as resistant to depreciation as the Evoque has been.

It is a bit crusty at the back but doesn't look rotted through , my 02 one was worse 

Screenshot_20220804-214338_Outlook.thumb.jpg.74c61a524e378e029246b63c1d0b134b.jpgiScreenshot_20220804-214352_Outlook.thumb.jpg.c6a0cb770d4e18326b2362798626ab37.jpg

1 hour ago, Wack said:

It is a bit crusty at the back but doesn't look rotted through , my 02 one was worse 

Screenshot_20220804-214338_Outlook.thumb.jpg.74c61a524e378e029246b63c1d0b134b.jpgiScreenshot_20220804-214352_Outlook.thumb.jpg.c6a0cb770d4e18326b2362798626ab37.jpg

I suspect there'll be plenty of hilarity behind the plastic looking at that, but definitely 'more fixable now than after another winter' no matter what's going on so well worth getting sorted.

I'm a little jealous, but not too much. That colour is perfect.

1 hour ago, motorpunk said:

Haha! You arse! You’ve ended up in a field instead of half on double yellows, half in a disabled bay, with your tango’d WAG just nipping into Asda for dog food for the French Bulldog and some antiseptic cream for that tattoo on your neck that went gammy, before you drive back to your newbuild paid for by a contract extension for next season playing for Manchelsea Town Roving Uniters FC. I bet you feel proper stupid.

Yes, I have a bit of a hangup with new RR stuff and am very judgmental. Fight me 😉👍

You've mistaken it for a Sport! But that's understandable, the white is NAFF. With brown seats. The soiled nappy express.

I'm not a fan of the modern RR stereotype or demographic, and when I saw the MkV I recoiled - but after doing 500 miles in I think 8 hours of driving with adaptive cruise, averaging 71mph overall and 42.8mpg, that smoothed off weird-looking face makes total sense (D350 has more grunt than my 4.4 V8 after all). I've also had an Evoque for a long time and in dark blue metallic with cream leather, pano top and nice kit (and 4x4 naturally) I understand completely why people like them so much and they're still weirdly expensive at the ragged end, even as respectable middle-aged examples are just £2-3K more with half the miles and facelift improvements.

But let's say JLR had gone completely batshit and offered me that Range Rover to drive for a long time.... I think I would have asked if I could have had it wrapped or something. Even covered in zebra stripes FFS. White is not the right colour for it at all.

Except... when driving it I couldn't care less if it was pink with brown spots. Ignoring the motorway bit, it's the A-road handling and car parks. I did not know it had four wheel steering until I took it to a shopping place in Spalding with a horrible car park, upon which I cackled like a loon and spent ages driving around looking for the perfect space as the thing turned with more agility than my 3008 managed in the same place.

9 hours ago, dome said:

Is the ABS light on too? I said this in the other thread but when my ABS sensor failed it disabled the HDC (obvs cos it runs on the same sensor) and also made the suspension inactive. I also had to replace the ABS ring on the CV joint as it was fucked. 

If it is, don't buy the cheapest sensor on ebay, mine failed again after a few months.

Yes, all this lot came on at the same time 

Screenshot_20220804-230049_Facebook.thumb.jpg.104316ef2bcab8a95c37f6c480fd71dc.jpg

8 minutes ago, Wack said:

First challenge will  be getting a test on it , if that goes OK on the 12th I'll see how far I want to go with it , I've already been looking at exhausts , if it's got a V8 in it then it needs to sound like it

That is the sound of money going up in smoke as it's converted to heat and noise in an addictive way. 

12 hours ago, RichardK said:

it's the A-road handling and car parks. 

I didn't know about the funky steering, that saves 6-point-turn hassle, I suppose. 

These latest RRs are just so big... how the hell does it fit in a regular parking space, or drive down a lane or housing estate without twatting off everyone's mirrors? Even my 5 old series is too long for my garage. 

5 hours ago, motorpunk said:

I didn't know about the funky steering, that saves 6-point-turn hassle, I suppose. 

These latest RRs are just so big... how the hell does it fit in a regular parking space, or drive down a lane or housing estate without twatting off everyone's mirrors? Even my 5 old series is too long for my garage. 

Lots of cameras and it's still shorter than a pickup with less overhang!

3 minutes ago, cort16 said:

Haha another victim recipient of a fine car posted on the liability thread.   I've driven one super charged full sized RR once before and it's like a cross between driving a 400bhp garden shed and a Monster Truck.

The last l322 I had , when it was fixed I left the garage down a long hill with a RH bend at the bottom , approached it like I would in any car 

Only this time it was Ffffuuuucccckkkkk, I only just got round it , almost up the path , lesson learned , range rovers don't like corners very much 

1 minute ago, Wack said:

The last l322 I had , when it was fixed I left the garage down a long hill with a RH bend at the bottom , approached it like I would in any car 

Only this time it was Ffffuuuucccckkkkk, I only just got round it , almost up the path , lesson learned , range rovers don't like corners very much 

Another guy at work had the full 550bhp footballers wives OverFinch range rover sport and it was even worse. That was a horrible car to drive. 

2 minutes ago, Wack said:

Two door 3.5 in day could be tipped, 3.9efi  nice or 4.2lse barge with 200hp long wheel base

• Wack changed the title to The 2006 4.2 Supercharged Range Rover thread