SLK Collection

NigeT

8 minutes ago, Flat4 said:

Morning! I'm also at an airport but sadly not going any where as exciting. All the best with the collection :D

Cheers fella and bon voyage! Second time I'm heading to the exclusive resort of Swindon - last time there I picked up a Reliant that died with a comical bang (+puff of smoke) on the M something after 10 miles but expecting better luck today!

10 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I've never done a collection mission by plane.  I need to up my game.

Someone on here wants to do a collection using the most possible types of transport, with this sort of itinerary: Cycle to station, train to next station, tram to airport, flight to next destination, bus to port, hovercraft to IOW or similar location, collect car, ferry back to mainland. (Optional - break down and get recovered home by recovery service.)

Finally home. SLK ran beautifully all the way. Only a couple of quirks to investigate - no working cruise though no warnings on dash & fuse is fine, and big fist thump sometimes needed under passenger footwell to coax heater blower into action. AC pleasantly ice cold which was nice. I think the blue looks brill too and the near total lack of rust scabbing is very un-90's-Merc. Goes like a rocket too with the supercharger seemingly in perfect shape. 

PXL_20220803_185837661.MP.jpg

PXL_20220803_191842732.MP.jpg

1 hour ago, NigeT said:

Finally home. SLK ran beautifully all the way. Only a couple of quirks to investigate - no working cruise though no warnings on dash & fuse is fine, and big fist thump sometimes needed under passenger footwell to coax heater blower into action. AC pleasantly ice cold which was nice. I think the blue looks brill too and the near total lack of rust scabbing is very un-90's-Merc. Goes like a rocket too with the supercharger seemingly in perfect shape. 

PXL_20220803_185837661.MP.jpg

PXL_20220803_191842732.MP.jpg

Dan's a lovely guy and how cheap was that car?

Well bought 👌👌👌

Any ideas here on the dead cruise control? Tyres and wheels are perfectly in spec. Could it be one of the wheel speed sensor rings despite no ABS warnings on dash? Other thought is stalk and the box somewhere in the footwell where I imagine it plugs in, or fuse box (fuse looks fine and doubt any current will register when testing from stationary). Can’t be brake light switch as that would presumably throw up warning lamp. 

Could the brake pedal (or clutch)  just be engaging slightly to disengage activation.
Long shot but can you pull pedal up any with foot and see if cruise engages.

Had an EOS where the pedal did not return fully, so initially thought brakes/calipers were seizing but was just pedal sticking and applying pressure.

1 hour ago, scdan4 said:

It's a new thing since it's been sat a couple of months, it worked fine last time I tried. 

Iirc it's one with a limiter as well, is it in the correct mode is my stupid check question. 

Was wondering about the limiter - stalk doesn't seem to have limiter function (end can't be pressed in & only seems to have set/resume and accel/decel options written on it). I was thinking maybe it was an aftermarket stalk.  Being an idiot I've no doubt missed something very basic. Wondering if it might be some crud that's got into the rings - will try a power wash from underneath to see if it helps & also spray some WD40 into the stalk connections & see how I go. 

2 hours ago, NigeT said:

Was wondering about the limiter - stalk doesn't seem to have limiter function (end can't be pressed in & only seems to have set/resume and accel/decel options written on it). I was thinking maybe it was an aftermarket stalk.  Being an idiot I've no doubt missed something very basic. Wondering if it might be some crud that's got into the rings - will try a power wash from underneath to see if it helps & also spray some WD40 into the stalk connections & see how I go. 

Hmm, looks like some of them may have had cruise but no speed limiter. Do you have the yellow "LIM" light in the centre of the speedometer?

Stalk with limiter:

396231978_Screenshot2022-08-04at20_19_31.png.16f260c5d2e35772253e19e3cec78247.png

No limiter stalk:

pic09.thumb.jpg.8c212ada21d16d7f02eddb65db8710a0.jpg