E46 325ci M sport. Find a worse one!

Dobloseven

As mentioned in another thread, decided to buy this blind. Had seen it a while back but forgotten about it. Went over tonight with Mrs Doblo to pick it up. Somewhat scruffier than I'd anticipated. Biggest problem though, when we started it, it wouldn't tick over and kept cutting out. Did seem to settle a bit though. About 8 miles from home, MrsD had cleared off, so wasn't sure how to get back. Calling MrsD would have resulted in an ear bashing, so when she said how about 300,I decided to risk it. Did get home ok and went through a long queue at a Mcdonalds drive through without cutting out so taxi fare saved. Doesn't actually drive too badly. Just a bit hesitant pulling away, but makes a nice noise and autobox seems sound. Steering is surprisingly heavy, brakes are sharp.No knocking from suspension. Seats don't seem very comfortable, though they adjust electrically and might need a bit of tweaking to suit. Got a couple of days temporary insurance so will use it as much as I can before deciding its future. Did get the urge to weave from lane to lane without indicating though! And when some peasant in a Focus cut in front of me in Mcdonalds, well.......! IMG_20220727_205340.thumb.jpg.5a11a92ec541b1bc0c15fefe9a5551b3.jpgIMG_20220727_205321.thumb.jpg.d27cfad46d05dc766ce27553b178ac25.jpgIMG_20220727_205244.thumb.jpg.04d01bc5b6db7cb95e873c357859c3a1.jpgIMG_20220727_205233.thumb.jpg.66159960a0066dc2720134167821bd76.jpgIMG_20220727_205209.thumb.jpg.85fd58a6e909416eed006695cf940d7c.jpg

The boot lid is the worst bit of bodywork. 

And the bootlid is easy to change, just find one in the same color and this is easily a 1k+ car. A mate of mine sold his manual 3.0 swapped coupe in the same color for 1.5k to someone from NI wanting to turn it into a drift missle (as most of them end up as now), despite half the interior missing. Just make sure the jacking points are somewhat solid before you send it through the next MOT.

Pop the idle control valve off and wazz some carb cleaner at it. Makes a heck of a difference on these.

Also mine kept cutting out around idle when a tear in one of the intake boots got big. Not expensive but the lower one is a bit faffy

That's a bargain. I used to have an E46 328ci, I really liked it but mine was also cheap and used to like to break down a lot - I think I had every single common fault on it 😅 But when it worked it was fucking brilliant. We drove it to Paris and back right before we sold it, it ran flawlessly and I completely regretted having agreed to the sale before leaving... Still see it driving around locally which is bittersweet.

Sort out the idle and enjoy it mate 😁

Must say it's a handsome looking thing. After I ate my Mcdonalds, I took it for a drive. Same issue with cutting out till it settles down, but not as bad as before. Will have a look underneath but the e bloody thing is so low to the ground. Think son is keen to get his hands on it. His mates have got old stuff and he feels a bit left out. 

Very nice indeed. Arches look good, I think that looks tidy. 

My mate had a very similar one when it was new except it was silver and manual. Even although he lied and said it was a 330 (no online DVLA checker in those days!)  I was still impressed by it. I loved the Mtec package.  The wheels and alcantara seats are superb.

I don't care what people think, I'd really like one of these. 

Wow that is cheap, I think at last count ive owned 38 E46's? most of them coupes. That doesnt seem in bad shape for a 20 year old car.

this thread maybe of interest

The lack of running will probably be the elbow on the throttle body to the airbox. they crack and perish, most of them on that age are taped up , but not an expensive part from BMW. 

The prices seem all over the place, from high(ish) hundreds to £12k,which does seem a bit excessive to me. I am sort of taken with it.Had some good advice already. A new boot lid, door mirror and grilles would see the exterior looking pretty well perfect. The drivers door mechanism is a must do, because the door can't be opened from the outside,or the car locked. The interior lets it down with tatty drivers seat and damaged trim. Plus non working aircon and infotainment. It could all be done though. Whether it will or not is another matter. 

I've been a bit tempted by BMWs myself in the past - but since finances don't stretch to multiple road worthy cars right now, I need something reliable.

BMW in my price range is, well, not that.

I've got the 330ci M sport manual.... Bought as a mile muncher stop gap I love it. Its been all over Europe and the only thing I ever needed was service items and once a flat on French motorways. Previous owner had sourced a full size spare so all good. 

CD player is pissing me off but other than that it's sweet. 

Definite keeper. 

Check underneath where the subframee and boot floor mate up - prone to chassis cracks if it has been driven like a twat.

They're nice dependable motors.... 

One of the better looking BMWs imo 

Plenty in the scrappies to swap to perfection, that's almost free in the current market.

Your boot reminds me of the boot on my (black) S Type.  My moronic neighbour painted his guttering white while I wasn't around, and then must have spotted all the little white dots over all of our cars.  I suppose I was lucky that I caught him with his Halfords buffer before he started on any of the other panels.

I sort of prefer Beemers to look a bit moody, preferably with a few battle scars, illegal substances still in tucked in a few cubby holes, the sort of car that still gets flagged up for a friendly chat with the local constabulary whenever they see negotiating a city suburb at 2 in the morning. 

On 7/27/2022 at 9:32 PM, Dobloseven said:

As mentioned in another thread, decided to buy this blind. Had seen it a while back but forgotten about it. Went over tonight with Mrs Doblo to pick it up. Somewhat scruffier than I'd anticipated. Biggest problem though, when we started it, it wouldn't tick over and kept cutting out. Did seem to settle a bit though. About 8 miles from home, MrsD had cleared off, so wasn't sure how to get back. Calling MrsD would have resulted in an ear bashing, so when she said how about 300,I decided to risk it. Did get home ok and went through a long queue at a Mcdonalds drive through without cutting out so taxi fare saved. Doesn't actually drive too badly. Just a bit hesitant pulling away, but makes a nice noise and autobox seems sound. Steering is surprisingly heavy, brakes are sharp.No knocking from suspension. Seats don't seem very comfortable, though they adjust electrically and might need a bit of tweaking to suit. Got a couple of days temporary insurance so will use it as much as I can before deciding its future. Did get the urge to weave from lane to lane without indicating though! And when some peasant in a Focus cut in front of me in Mcdonalds, well.......! IMG_20220727_205340.thumb.jpg.5a11a92ec541b1bc0c15fefe9a5551b3.jpgIMG_20220727_205321.thumb.jpg.d27cfad46d05dc766ce27553b178ac25.jpgIMG_20220727_205244.thumb.jpg.04d01bc5b6db7cb95e873c357859c3a1.jpgIMG_20220727_205233.thumb.jpg.66159960a0066dc2720134167821bd76.jpgIMG_20220727_205209.thumb.jpg.85fd58a6e909416eed006695cf940d7c.jpg

The boot lid is the worst bit of bodywork. 

I've daily driven a lot worse.

Get someone with a smoke tester and a decent diagnostic tool to do a bit of diagnostic work on it for you to save you second guessing where the the vac leaks are and playing parts darts with the under bonnet bits, and throw some money at used cosmetic parts if you so wish and you'd be able to make a few pounds back on that I suspect.

Youngest son who's going to have it came round yesterday. Seems happy. Audi driving oldest son turns up and makes various derogatory comments about it while we struggle to get it ticking over. He does grudgingly admit it's quite nice looking though. Interest aroused, he opens bonnet and points out he can hear air being sucked in Further investigation revealed a concertina hose that was completely split. That will definitely need replacement. My plan would be to get the engine running right and the drivers door locking sorted as priorities and gradually get the rest of it done as and when.Lad's started ordering parts already, he's got more time now he's graduated. Once running it's quite nice really. Lovely noise, very smooth autobox, decent ride. Can sort of see why the 3 series has been such a success over the years. Are the M sport seats different to the normal ones? These don't seem particularly comfortable to me. I know we've got at least one expert out there! 

the M sport seats have bigger bolsters and an adjustable thigh pad. The "standard" seats are very flat by comparison. M3 seats are nicer but a used pair will cost more than you paid for this car. 

if you're replacing that mirror, note that coupe/convertible mirrors are different to saloon/touring ones and the electrics vary depending on what options you have

looking at the switch and the seats, i *think* it'll be 9-wire which is the option for cars with electric memory seats but no power-folding mirrors.

Very nice, bargain. A friend had a revised E46 318 that I drove a bit. I always found the steering heavy. I checked the fluid a few times and it was fine. I drove a similar age X3 a few months ago and it was a weightier than expected as well. 

Son is well pleased with himself. He'd bought a hose for 12 quid and fitted it with the help of his mate who owns a mk 2 Golf Gti and effected a  vast improvement. We're on holiday and because it can't be locked, I'd parked it up with one side close to the fence and the Renault right up to the other. He had to get in through the boot. Been idly looking at replacement parts and seems to be plenty of stuff available. It's out my hands really, I know what I'd try to do with it, but I'll be on hand if he needs me.

I went looking at an e46 today after seeing your bargain I couldn't help myself! Turned out to be a right nail, even for me. Struggled to go in to gear and the EML was on and it was in limp mode! 318 convertible too so it probably wouldn't pull you out of bed at full power! 

11 hours ago, Jamie said:

I went looking at an e46 today after seeing your bargain I couldn't help myself! Turned out to be a right nail, even for me. Struggled to go in to gear and the EML was on and it was in limp mode! 318 convertible too so it probably wouldn't pull you out of bed at full power! 

To me, those cars need six cylinders, four just seems wrong, somehow. 

11 hours ago, riek said:

They're one of the best cars for DIY how tos on the internet - the fifties kid on YouTube has practically rebuilt one on axle stands in a single garage.

They do seem to have hit a sweet spot for price, parts availability and information.