Morris Minor - An Car

vulgalour

On 7/30/2022 at 1:27 PM, ETCHY said:

Yep it does. The Minor saloon has an open bulkhead at the back with no cross bracing.  There's a lift the dot type fastener/ clip on back of seat accessible from the boot . Backrest then flops forward. It aint totally flat but you can load through.

I thought that my old man's '66 Morris 1000 had a wing nut at each side?

39 minutes ago, barefoot said:

I thought that my old man's '66 Morris 1000 had a wing nut at each side?

A40s have rubber inlaid clips that hold the seat back up, that don't grip the lugs anymore after 50 odd years so the seat back folds down at junctions and traffic lights

7 hours ago, Matty said:

@vulgalour this belongs to a fella in the owners club. Really nice man. Uses it very regularly over decent distances. Seems a very good but usable example. Very similar to a minor (although obvs isn't if you've set your heart at a minor) and the spares backup through the club is excellent. Very realistic dailies IMHO. Minus points for the restrictive boot opening if you want to carry large objects though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115483085005?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=3ioL-casRUm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=svwv9r4orxa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I'm partial to an A40.  If they had better repair panel support they'd be a strong contender, especially since they feel a bit more solid than a Minor and a bit more roomy inside.

44 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

I'm partial to an A40.  If they had better repair panel support they'd be a strong contender, especially since they feel a bit more solid than a Minor and a bit more roomy inside.

They are getting a lot better. For example the club has just commissioned and put into small scale production full front wings (which curiously comprise lower and upper). Many other common repair sections are available through them as well. No where near as good as Minor parts support I'll grant.

@Matty That's good to know actually, I remember you couldn't really get much of anything for them aside from outer sills popping up now and then.  Front wings were always hard to come by when I first got interested in this sort of stuff, which was a problem given how rough how many of them were on the market in the 90s/00s.

@SiC Badly fitting panels is better than no panels at all.  I'm fed up of figuring out how to patch things together from bits that are totally wrong, or having to make whole new pieces from scratch.  What I wouldn't give for a badly fitting rear arch repair panel for the Princess, or slightly off door skin bottom repair sections instead of having to figure it all out from nothing.

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

But don't count on Minor panels actually having any decent chance of fitting without serious rework though.

I'd imagine you'll know all about variable quality. For example, and I'm surprised no one's mentioned it yet, the outer sills on my car don't have the holes and bungs for the jacking points. Allegedly, whoever was making replacement panels at the time just didn't bother incorporating them, presumably on a costs basis. I haven't needed to buy any myself, but according to other owners the panels from our club are really quite good.

Again, it's the parts supply that's the issue with 8/10/Pennant.  I did seriously consider a 10, they tick a  lot of the boxes, but body panels can be very hard to get hold of and they're not as well supported mechanically.  They also seem much more prone to rust than even Minors are.  Besides, if I was going to get a Standard it'd have to be a Vanguard beetleback.

I think a rot free Minor as an honest all-rounder is a great choice. 😉

20201228_144407.thumb.jpg.a13b64f955e50db684196bcd7c08cf3a.jpg.16650646cdac956c3c7ffe6ed432d386.jpg

My back seat has a couple of badly aligned toilet door locks screwed on to them.

And when I got it the seats (leather and vinyl) did look nicely care worn and quite cute.

20201004_124459.thumb.jpg.43d075d85335771b56bb033ae462d6f2.jpg.f9ad0184bc0b0d36ea7a311aa73ae85f.jpg

20201003_134842.thumb.jpg.a1fb8a121d98d09e094b70549b3c7c2e.jpg.6d9790d1fe95e47ef688b95b13c1177b.jpg

The car also came with a pair of these too,although they would look cool I think I would soon tire of squeezing in and out of them.

20201002_093347_001.thumb.jpg.c2f8760369e2a5cf63908fe13f90a730.jpg.fa96155d73a3c9569f8932c00d89ebd7.jpg

I am going leather KA seats when I find some cheap enough and close enough to home.

IMG20220327153811.thumb.jpg.ab2138fa61c57046924ca86d2b45d2fb.jpg

I am about half way through welding up Boris and I reckon he may make it back on the road next autumn.

The references I've seen about the rear seat is a 'lift the dot' fixing in the middle of the seat back at the top that you get to by opening the boot.  Seat back can then be lifted up slightly and pushed forwards, or removed completely if you wish.  However, it seems the bolt-on-each-side method is decidedly more commonplace because the original method hasn't really stood the test of time for most cars.

Here's just about the perfect example of the sort of thing I'm looking for: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125463128662

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.1b68f0d731e32e4b16bb664c92e5f0fa.jpg

It's scruffy without being knackered, and in a colour I like, particularly nice to see it on not-silver wheels too.  Unlike a lot of MoT exempt cars on the market, this one had an MoT pretty much up until the exemption came in so I at least feel like I'd stand a chance of driving it away.  Asking price of just £2k seems quite low, even if it ends up needing welding underneath, and it doesn't appear to have been messed about with so hopefully bodges would be at a minimum.  It doesn't really even need anything cosmetically, it could be enjoyed just exactly as it is.

1 hour ago, vulgalour said:

Here's just about the perfect example of the sort of thing I'm looking for: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125463128662

It's scruffy without being knackered, and in a colour I like, particularly nice to see it on not-silver wheels too.  Unlike a lot of MoT exempt cars on the market, this one had an MoT pretty much up until the exemption came in so I at least feel like I'd stand a chance of driving it away.  Asking price of just £2k seems quite low, even if it ends up needing welding underneath, and it doesn't appear to have been messed about with so hopefully bodges would be at a minimum.  It doesn't really even need anything cosmetically, it could be enjoyed just exactly as it is.

That looks very good for the money.

Odometer is reading 14,000 not the 140,000 in the advert. I wonder how many times it has been round.

That looks like you could struggle to get better for the money 

As long as it's grot free and honest ie not obviously badly bodged in the sill/floor structures,center cross member,rear spring hangers (both ends),door hinge mounting panels (doors shut cleanly),rear wing mounting flanges and boot floor area then you are probably home and dry.

Mechanically,bodily and trim wise I'm sure you already have the skills required to keep on top of things.

Water ingress makes an old car a miserable place to be in the colder months so attention to leaky window and door seals is important,but everything required is available and reasonable cheap.

I do also 100% recommend banded steels (red or white) shod with 185/70 rubber but that's just me.

That's a nice looking one!  I've hankered after a Minor for years since getting a book on them out of the library at 14 years old.  25 years on and I'm no closer!  As others have said, it's the state of the undercrackers that make or break these.

On 8/14/2022 at 7:15 PM, vulgalour said:

That's in the condition i like a car, looks used but not knackered. 

I like the reg',  being childish I'd call it fuk.