2003 Audi TT Mk1 1.8T Quattro - Gone!

SiC

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm well I’ve been following this thread with interest. 

Ive always fancied a BAM 225 but in the end a 3.2 DSG batted it’s high maintenance eyelashes at me, at a price that was too tempting (yes ive Bought a cheap one as usual) It also had not to be silver, because.

I collect it this weekend.

C5EE6C0E-4A80-460E-93FF-2A75E118355E.thumb.png.7385edac85f2cb3769a540f309175aaa.png

25927B6D-EAFF-4E9C-A3E6-4DFEDF280308.thumb.png.532b2d5b5155cef8c87e43caa5e5debb.png

002FD293-278E-41A4-BFDD-B620413E5861.thumb.png.2780c37aaf3f3a2ffa562965168b087a.png

CC042EA9-DF63-4AA0-8672-F70BB102DA7B.thumb.png.be5964ed573a724edb54cad4029d3751.png

1 hour ago, HMC said:

Hmmm well I’ve been following this thread with interest. 

Ive always fancied a BAM 225 but in the end a 3.2 DSG batted it’s high maintenance eyelashes at me, at a price that was too tempting (yes ive Bought a cheap one as usual) It also had not to be silver, because.

I collect it this weekend.

C5EE6C0E-4A80-460E-93FF-2A75E118355E.thumb.png.7385edac85f2cb3769a540f309175aaa.png

25927B6D-EAFF-4E9C-A3E6-4DFEDF280308.thumb.png.532b2d5b5155cef8c87e43caa5e5debb.png

002FD293-278E-41A4-BFDD-B620413E5861.thumb.png.2780c37aaf3f3a2ffa562965168b087a.png

CC042EA9-DF63-4AA0-8672-F70BB102DA7B.thumb.png.be5964ed573a724edb54cad4029d3751.png

Nice. Lets me know when you're done with it. I do like those DSG boxes and had pretty much the same one on the TT MK2 I had. Check that the box shifts reasonably decently. When working properly, they are ace boxes. When they're not, you can drive around many of the faults anyway. 

I bought the Focus as a stop gap and very much prepared to chuck it away once I find a semi decent TT. 

I’ve got my eye on a TT Quattro Sport that they did as a run out model. No back seats, v6 bodykit and 1.8 with 240hp. It’s a Jap import to the UAE, but LHD, so most likely Euro market where it was called Club Sport. And it’s black so it doesn’t look daft like the other QS.

Dealer here doesn’t know what he’s got, and he's pricing it like a 180.

28F8C7D9-F4DF-474A-9CC8-D46F88859B58.jpeg

097ED242-6567-45C1-9716-08637E5DEBC8.jpeg

572EF7BA-D36B-4D67-94CF-56D92F0E1691.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

There's a couple near me on the tree for £700 , both needing work but that's a cheap coupe if you don't mind a rusty wing or 2 

Where abouts?

Rusty wing is fine if the rest of it is legal and a runner. Ideally want a 180 quattro but would go for a 225 too. VR6 is likely much more than that!

Any reason you have your heart set on a quattro Si?  As you know I've had a few* of these and the fwd ones which came out circa 2003 seem to be the best of the bunch in terms of reliability iMe, no quattro issues. Better on fuel just a 5 speed box as a compromise but no less fun to drive! 

33 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Any reason you have your heart set on a quattro Si?  As you know I've had a few* of these and the fwd ones which came out circa 2003 seem to be the best of the bunch in terms of reliability iMe, no quattro issues. Better on fuel just a 5 speed box as a compromise but no less fun to drive! 

Two fold. Never owned a Quattro so fancy giving one a go. Secondly, if I'm going all in on liability with a TT Mk1, might as well go balls deep with a Quattro! Icing on the cake is that the rear end is multi-link independent on the Quattro versus torsion bar on fwd too. 

The problem with the Quattro when searching for one I found that most had no idea what a Haldex is and when the fluid was last changed. It does appear that if neglected, the Haldex diff just goes disconnected though. So you just loose Quattro - better than seizing solid I guess. 

Fair enough I just thought to prevent head aches down the line they are good when working but like you say, it's getting rarer and rarer they are properly with the newest examples being over 15 now.  They are good cars though and peanuts to fix when the common issues occur. 

I'll keep an eye out 👍

They're also pretty unsaleable. Possibly because people expect too a high price for them and this end of the market many people are looking for the least liability possible. 

So I want to make sure I get half decent one as otherwise it's basically going to be scrap. 

That looks a bit too nice for me. My finger is hovering over the bid button on this at the moment. Not that I need another car with fucked paint.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265842125842

I don't really want a silver car but I think they do look reasonably smart in silver. Not least iirc the design is inspired off some 1930s racer that it's in silver. 

I can't decide the thing in the driver's footwell is a bit of metal that breaks off the clutch pedal. But then if it is, I'd have thought he'd be saying lack of gears. It's a little on the high price for me given the issues it has. 

Carsnoreserve reading had a black one with more miles but low owners sell for £850 at the weekend. Relisted like the 4th time. Wanted to bid but was too busy welding and grinding in the garage, so missed my alarm to alert me to last minute bid. 

Just now, SiC said:

I can't decide the thing in the driver's footwell is a bit of metal that breaks off the clutch pedal. But then if it is, I'd have thought he'd be saying lack of gears. It's a little on the high price for me given the issues it has. 

Carsnoreserve reading had a black one with more miles but low owners sell for £850 at the weekend. Relisted like the 4th time. Wanted to bid but was too busy welding and grinding in the garage, so missed my alarm to alert me to last minute bid. 

Looks like the pedal cover to me if the next photo is anything to go by.  

That one I roffled earlier in the year had a snapped pedal, it was surprisingly not expensive to fix tbf 

3 minutes ago, Jamie said:

That one I roffled earlier in the year had a snapped pedal, it was surprisingly not expensive to fix tbf 

From the videos detailing it, the failure looks like two crappy little tack welds that causes the failure. 60 seconds with the welder would fix that right up for nearly free. Including doing the longer term fix of running a decent bead along it. 

Apart from the paint which won't be worth fixing, the other faults appear to be fuel pump and hazard switch. Both not cheap parts. A new OEM hazard switch is pretty much the same price as a pump!

Iirc these Quattros have two fuel pumps too as a saddle tank? 

19 hours ago, SiC said:

That looks a bit too nice for me. My finger is hovering over the bid button on this at the moment. Not that I need another car with fucked paint.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265842125842

I don't really want a silver car but I think they do look reasonably smart in silver. Not least iirc the design is inspired off some 1930s racer that it's in silver. 

Says sold. So?

On 7/25/2022 at 12:35 PM, martc said:

Check for printing ink stains in the boot, but it you're lucky there may be a few lost stationary samples under the front seats. The indicators are usually in-operative; it's an easy fix - there's a lever on the left hand side of the steering column which will switch them on. Oh and another thing please turn off the massive electro-magnet in the front bumper, it annoys other road users.

My only surprise is you didn't say "BMW" or "Mercedes" drivers as well, yawn yawn. 

I got run off the road yesterday on a major roundabout near Frome in my Partner causing some damage to my wheel and despite flashing the driver for 5 miles gesturing to them to pull over, they just ignored me until I was able to pass and stop them. Denied all knowledge of course despite the fact I saw the look of horror in her and the 2 passengers eyes, watched her swerve back into the correct lane using no indicators, driving right round a roundabout without indicating in the outside lane and  then try and put their foot down despite spending the first part of the journey at below 40mph in a 60.

And what was she driving? 

A Rav 4.

Not exclusive to any car make. 

As for that engine I think it's excellent, I loved it in my 2001 Ibiza Cupra. 

I was going to mention it to you a few months back when I first saw you looking  for something to avoid the CAZ but also a bit interesting. Sadly it wasn't in a ready to go state, it would have made a good project for you and been reasonably ......plus I'd already had two total and utter time wasters from this forum enquire so sold it elsewhere. 

I'd say with VAG as well that I always type the actual part number I need into the interweb as they cross match on so many cars that often an identical part is half or quarter of the price from one make to another. 

In the Ibiza the elec window switches fail and on ebay was showing about £30 a switch as they're unique* to that model, even £25 second hand and not guaranteed however a part number search revealed they were actually fitted to a facelift  Polo of that era and I got them for £6 each delivered 😂😂😂

Same with the rear wheel bearings as they came complete with the hub they were about £50 a piece for the SEAT or £75 a piece for the polo 🙄🙄🙄

Enginewise I never put a lot into mine, IIRC the model I had was about 156bhp out of the factory and I recall it being the smallest car they put that engine in so went really well, the 180bhp one should be great in a TT. 

As for value they've hit rock bottom I think. I remember about 5 years ago looking for a car to buy complete to put the 1.8t into my mk1 gti cab and the golf or A3 were the only ones I could find for about the 6-700 mark, tt's were still £1800-2k cars at entry level. 

Now, on the rare occasion you see a golf variant for sale they seem to hold their money well, even the A3's seem to fetch good coin if you can even find one.

My suspicion is that when they went below a grand they started falling into the wrong hands and, like the early Imprezas, have now all but disappeared after being in abundance only about 10 years ago. 

I think the TT is now at an odd age where its not cool enough for young kids to lust after when they can just buy a fiesta st for "£250 a month", still seen as a bit of a hairdressers car to a lot of folk in their 30's and in my age group, 40's, I think they're just seen as a bit old hat leaving the market as quite limited. 

Mint ones will attract those who lusted after them in their teens /20's and now have a good bit of disposal income at their hands or over 50's who are just divorced but got no money and think they can impress a 25yr old hottie to piss off the ex wife in a semi midlife crisis stylee🤣🤣

Me I still think they look great, go well and have some great features, I'd love one but I would genuinely look like the 50yr old midlife crisis man above despite being in a happy relationship 😂😂

My 150 cable throttle golf 20vt also went far better than it had any right to. Absolutely bullet proof too, including running it at the nurburgring. TBF, nowt else went wrong with it either, apart from gently rotting away (tadts). Not bad for a £400 car. In conclusion, lacking in the big liability factor you're looking for Si. Defo need a 6 pot quattro with a DSG for that!

On 8/24/2022 at 8:42 PM, SiC said:

This looks alright:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175384533220

4 owners with the last 3 since 2019. 

I suspect it'll sell for a fair bit more than it's current bidding price though. 

Sold for £1840. Not a bad price tbh. 

Didn't bid as I've just chucked a pair of (shit) new tyres on the Focus today and feel compelled to get some moneys worth of them!

PXL_20220825_134116382.thumb.jpg.dc69314147a5b5cab733b16fdbe503d5.jpg

MOT is still 2 weeks away too. I need to get it through one to have a chance of getting my money back on it. Don't want to have to insure a second car just to do that.

Plus I'm quite enjoying buzzing around in the Focuarse. Guilt free banger that I don't have to worry one iota about. Won't be long before I'm bored though - nearly there now and would have sold if I didn't have an MOT to do 🤣

However while I'm still watching the market, if I see a real bargain and sub £1k then I won't hesitate to snatch it!