Tools you've found at the roadside...

ruffgeezer

On 7/27/2022 at 12:39 PM, Datsuncog said:

I found an insulated electrical screwdriver under the back seat of a scrapped Triumph Dolomite in about 1997.

Still using it today. It's the right size for nearly any slot-head screw

A wee yellow one of those with the built in test light in a dumped Capri 1991, Staines town centre. Still got it (screwdriver not the car).
Sykes Pickavant imperial brake adjuster spanner in my old TL when I bought it - both made from girders/railway lines.

• 1 month later...

Have found a few odds and sods at the side of the road before now, but mainly in cars I've bought.  Various cheapie screwdrivers, sockets, some crappy spanners etc.  I still have most of them.

The odd things I've found in cars I've bought have been things like battery chargers, air compressors and the like.   In one case one of the heaps I bought came with one of those quite expensive ABSAAR start-n-charge units that can do 200A boost for a short period.  I found out why when trying to do a cold start a couple of days later.

Was on the M60 last year heading to Costco when I spotted a bright light on the hard shoulder in the distance. There wasn’t much traffic so I slowed down and stopped level with it so the Mrs could open her door and lean out to investigate…it was a cordless LED work lamp.

Obviously there wasn’t a charger but the one for my iZettle machine works perfectly.

It’s still in daily use and lasts a week or so on one overnight charge.

• 1 month later...

I gained one of these task lights a few months ago, left behind and not collected by contractor or contractors unknown.

image.thumb.png.6e7ae376946d24aa5ba5a635dc7a1ecb.png

The reviews talk about the battery life being shite which, unfortunately, is pretty true. Despite showing full charge, it'll normally only last 2-3 hours before flashing and giving up. Which is a shame because it's a bloody good light!

9 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Years ago I found a torch under the bonnet of my Rover 100 when checking the fluids.  I was quite pleased at first, until I remembered it was the same torch I'd left under there when topping up the brake fluid in fading light a couple of weeks earlier...

Same thing happened to a fitter who was working on my faulty tail lift.

Broke down for same fault a week apart and same fitter comes out and finds it still attached to the frame via worlds strongest magnet.

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/12/2023 at 20:54, omegod said:

Many years before knowing him through this place I bought a Merc 190 off @Keymaster and sometime later found a 5 cell maglite in the bootwell , he'd never spotted it :) 

Sam @beko1987 did that when I sold him my shit Laguna, he found a nice pair of binoculars hiding in it!

I'm reminded of the time I stopped on the A158 and retrieved a 1/2 drive ratchet and a 21mm socket.  They belonged to the garage I worked at and the boss had left them on the crank pulley of the van he'd asked me to test drive.  Didn't half make a row when that parted company!

On 13/11/2023 at 22:07, NorthernMonkey said:

Was on the M60 last year heading to Costco when I spotted a bright light on the hard shoulder in the distance. There wasn’t much traffic so I slowed down and stopped level with it so the Mrs could open her door and lean out to investigate…it was a cordless LED work lamp.

Obviously there wasn’t a charger but the one for my iZettle machine works perfectly.

It’s still in daily use and lasts a week or so on one overnight charge.

I keep seeing those bloody vapes all over as the LED's are usually blue - so a quick glimpse gets the old ass pukkering!! 

I found a Makita battery powered angry grinder without a battery hidden in the long grass nest to a padlocked stable yard gate.  1. It didn't have a battery and neither did I. And 2, I couldn't be trusted with such a tool, so I gave it to my favourite mechanic in exchange for potential discounts. 

6 hours ago, Tenmil Socket said:

It must be at least 20 years ago now but I found a 10mm/11mm Snap-On ratchet spanner in a scrapyard in one of the cars. Still use it now.

I think I've got the exact same 10mm Snap On spanner in my toolbox, that came from a salvage yard I was nosing round in the very early 90's. One of the very few Snap On things I have. Still engraved with some poor sods initials as well

A few long reach sockets but the best was a small case socket set ..complete , pressed into the soil on a pull in !!  , pulled it up , wiped it down and it was ready to go 

non tool .. was I jumped over a gate for a piss , and there next to me was a part worn tyre  ( complete with price tag )  for the Micra I was driving !!