Just bought a 205 Mardi Gras Auto - Not Collected Yet

Tony McVeigh

Hi all,

It was mentioned to me that I should share my new (well not quite new!) purchase, a 1994 Peugeot 205 Mardi Gras Auto

Question, is this Miami Blue or the other Blue, haven't got car or the V5 yet, was hoping it would state on there, as there a couple of spots

of rust I will want to get sorted (inner wing and sill)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-/144631505087?nma=true&si=i%2BrdU%2BwhxacnkhsN0rQrwayiHJU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Also, do not like the spoiler, so considering removal when Iget the car, and patching up the fixing holes?....thoughts

Thanks all

Nice.  I agree with you and GregZX regarding the spoiler.

I had a nice condition 205 automatic until late 2017 when the autobox failed.  Unfortunately, oil in the coolant was diagnosed as a head gasket failure which got done.... then the problem recurred.  The failure was actually in the radiator where the automatic transmission fluid is cooled - the rad cools the engine and the transmission but slight leakage of water into the transmission circuit and visa versa via a crack in the rad ultimately wrecked the box, or rather, put it beyond economic repair.  Very sad.  I think the salesman who took it in part exchange for my ex-demo 'modern' had ideas of fixing it within the trade. It certainly appears to have had another MOT after the last one in my ownership, only to go dormant on the DVLA system again after a year.

100_1650.jpeg

Folks, thanks for the replies, really appreciate it (even barefoot who I thought was a tad harsh 😄)

Another bit of my initial post was the inner wing, I would really appreciate thoughts on this, as to whether
it is needing to be sorted urgently, nowt mentioned on previous MOT's:

image.thumb.png.887e6178bce4ddba95502f94c0f426c6.png

And does it look superficial??

Thanks loserone:

Tip: Don't name the car, he doesn't like that.

- (thanks for the heads up!)

Reall
y hard to see how bad the wing will be.  But I reckon for that money it should be solid really

- Unless of course, I paid over the odds, however, I think beating the underbidder by £20 he/she will be soooo pi$$ed off!!

26 minutes ago, Tony McVeigh said:

Hope the clock is right, but these days, who needs a Car clock??

Indeed - my old GR is the only 205 I've ever seen with a working clock, they all say 6 something or half past something.  

9 hours ago, Tony McVeigh said:

Folks, thanks for the replies, really appreciate it (even barefoot who I thought was a tad harsh 😄)

Another bit of my initial post was the inner wing, I would really appreciate thoughts on this, as to whether
it is needing to be sorted urgently, nowt mentioned on previous MOT's:

image.thumb.png.887e6178bce4ddba95502f94c0f426c6.png

And does it look superficial??

Looks very similar to the inner wing on my ZX. I attacked it with Kurust and it got an advisory on the MOT as was a bit frilly around the hole where the wheel arch liner goes. I might get a plate welded in for next year. 

Morning folks,

In prep for the 205 on Sunday, I have bought a replacement leather steering wheel from a GTI, hopefully straightforward replacement, and swap the Peugeot 
centre from the current one into this one. I like a leather wheel.

Am I correct this is a straightforward job?

Thanks all. 

image.thumb.png.b313591fca1df70e003074fb3f131c13.png

image.thumb.png.48ea9cc81a0d1755c8d0871a30409df7.png

1 hour ago, Tony McVeigh said:

Morning folks,

In prep for the 205 on Sunday, I have bought a replacement leather steering wheel from a GTI, hopefully straightforward replacement, and swap the Peugeot 
centre from the current one into this one. I like a leather wheel.

Am I correct this is a straightforward job?

Thanks all. 

image.thumb.png.b313591fca1df70e003074fb3f131c13.png

image.thumb.png.48ea9cc81a0d1755c8d0871a30409df7.png

Piece of piss. 20 or 21mm socket & extension. Undo the nut a few turns and loosen the wheel off the splines by pulling it towards yourself. If it's been on a while it'll take some persuasion and leaving the nut on will stop any interaction between the wheel and your face when it lets go

Afternoon folks,

Picked the 205 up this morning just south of Leeds, what a great drive back to North Shields, drives like a dream and quick!!
The car is mint for its age, gonna get it serviced and the timing belt done a.s.a.p

Oh, and the clock does work..........pic attached.......

IMG_4493.JPG