Done a Buy (Contains Pandas)

LimitedSlippedDisc

So I've been on the lookout for something cheap to run for a couple of months now, but struggled to find something that ticks all the boxes.  Most recently I thought I was sorted with a Golf estate locally, but sadly there were a few issues and I chose not to go ahead.

Thankfully AutoShite came to the rescue in the form of a cute little 169 Panda.

I've always rated these cars as we've had one in the household from new which has been a fantastic and dependable thing that's taken us all over the place, including several trips to the Highlands.

Last night I went down the A50 to pick up a blue '06 plate from member Ian and what a pleasant experience it was.

Ian was an absolute gent and the car was immaculately clean when I arrived.  Half an hour later me and my brother-in-law Al were on our way back to Staffordshire, choosing to take the scenic and twisty series of roads through Newborough and Abbots Bromley.  If you can avoid the farm traffic, there are some great twisty and fun stretches of road perfect around there to test the poise of an Italian supermini.

I'll attach a few snaps from the collection shortly.

Ian was interested to know my thoughts on how the earlier Euro 4 engined Panda compared to our later Euro 5 with VVT, which I'll share here in case it is of interest.

With the Euro 4 I think power and torque are more evenly spread across the rev band.  The Euro 5 is ultimately a little quicker, however they feel hesitant and somewhat strangled at lower revs.

The Euro 4 in contrast is more fun to drive and feels like it has more 'get up and go', despite being 7 bhp shy.  I definitely prefer it.  I'm not sure if the gearing changed between model years, but the Euro 5 feels taller geared?

Handling-wise, the blue example outshines our yellow car.  It could be it's a little lighter without air con and things, and the wheels are smaller for more engaging handling.  More likely though is Ian had got it in very fine fettle with excellent tyres fitted.

A big thanks to Ian for fixing me up with a happy little car that's a hoot to drive.

Steve

6C5B9AB0-7CB2-46DA-AECD-DE79FC6300E7.jpeg

6554CF87-302E-42F0-AF74-1644CB3443A6.jpeg

4199C962-9A47-4114-A2B5-05072850B7E1.jpeg

2F312895-41DD-49F0-B068-DA9144029CFD.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Ian_Fearn said:

I’m so pleased you’re happy with it Steve!

Nearly shed a tear when it drove off 😢

There's something very endearing about the 169, they are such a good all round car that are also fun to drive.

I like the trip computer this one has and the rev counter is nice to have too.   After I backed off to save some fuel, I reset the trip and it was reporting 60mpg, which I know will be over-optimistic on the computer, but I bet it'll put in 55 if I take it gently.

42 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

I’m up in Stoke! 

@Floatylight I think we should have an informal autoshite meet up at some point!

Indeed, in the past we've done Full English followed by Cannock car auctions,, but the auctions have shut down, do you or @Lankytimknow if the Saturday auction at Newcastle is running/any good to point amd laugh at their stock?

18 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Indeed, in the past we've done Full English followed by Cannock car auctions,, but the auctions have shut down, do you or @Lankytimknow if the Saturday auction at Newcastle is running/any good to point amd laugh at their stock?

I've never been to Newcastle motor auctions, I'm not sure of it's still going but reviews from 11 months ago suggest it could be. https://newcastle-staffordshire.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/newcastle-motor-auctions-16315928.html

I'd be well up for a meet either way. 

edit* it appears they've closed down. :(

It's been a while since I went for a drive almost for the hell of it, but the Panda wanted to be driven.  The A34 being closed gave me a good excuse to take the back roads to Newcastle this evening and the Panda revelled in the twisties.

Tried to take an arty shot with a misty moon and failed.

Enjoyed some old school club classics on the CD player at unhealthy volumes.

39A5F06E-8373-4E9F-8E1F-22149034C9CA.jpeg