Lyv! Kllekshunn Thred 400mi round trip

grogee

Safely back, no dramas. The window got a workout: too hot/too noisy/too hot/too noisy etc.  

But it behaved impeccably and @filthyjohn is a true gentleman. I think he was still explaining reasons to not buy it as I drove off. 

I tried to do a self-Woollard on the drive but it wasn't very successful. 

IMG_20220712_204419469_HDR.jpg

11 hours ago, grogee said:

I keep reading in the news about people being pissed off about diesel at £2/litre. Yet they can't get enough of caffeinated warm milk at £15.50/litre. (Estimated 200ml @ £3.10)

IMG_20220712_093827735.jpg

My god, George, that's more expensive than at the mothership..!

Now I've got a moment, I can recount yesterday's journey and apologise for the lack of pez/Woollard shots.

For a 1988 car, it drives well. @filthyjohn said he thought the brakes were a bit poor, but they felt good enough to me, perhaps because I'm used to my 9-5's piss-poor anchors. I've got some discs on the watch list, QH ones were about £50 I think.

Clutch moves smoothly, no slip, I think I read the master cyl had been done recently. Gear selection is a bit vague but I expected much much worse, I've ordered a bush that claims to 'fix' it.

The engine starts and runs, but I think some attention is needed around fuelling or ignition because it can start to 'flutter' a bit on light throttle at higher revs. If you put your foot down it does respond, but I wonder if plugs or dizzy cap want doing. Anyway it got me home from Sunderland at a fairly constant 65mph without complaint. I did notice the throttle cable or linkage is a bit sticky, so it idles about 1100rpm unless you 'flick' the throttle pedal then it settles down to 800ish.

The thing I was worried about most was overheating in yesterday's hot weather, but it seems to behave. The needle rises to about 2/3rds in traffic then sits at 1/4 when cruising. I guess this is normal but I'm used to newer cars "lying" to me and rising to middle of gauge and staying there! Might check the thermostat and fan anyway.

Biggest issue, which John warned me about, was the 'wub-wub' noise from drivetrain. I'm fairly certain it's a dry/old wheel bearing and I've ordered a replacement. Seems to be nearside which would make sense as that's the one that gets a hammering on roundabouts. It's noisy, but didn't get any worse during yesterday's journey despite the long drive.

I need to have a look at the heater fan resistor, John's given me the old one which needs a thermistor soldering in - easy enough. But I can't seem to get decent flow to face level vents, and I'm suspicious that the air coming out of the other vents is warm rather than ambient. I think the temp control is via a solenoid or something, as it doesn't feel connected to any sort of cable/tap jobbie - so there might be trouble there.

Cosmetically I can't do much about the outside unless I find some donor panels. There's a few 9000s breaking on the Bay. Unfortunately I think facelift front wing won't fit pre-facelift, but the doors might. I've been thinking I would present old wing and 2nd hand donor parts to my paint man and say 'match that', which saves moving the whole car around and is easier than masking everything off.

Inside, the headliner needs doing. In a funny sort of way I'm looking forward to that job, it'll be time-consuming but satisfying. Can't seem to find any donor headliner so I'll take the old one off and glue some new material to the existing board, then refit. The cloth trim on the door panels has come loose so I'll have a go at gluing that too.

Otherwise it'll be a case of MoT prep and a service. I may get another key cut - there doesn't seem to be an immobiliser chip (yay!). And I may throw in a digital radio/bluetooth thing if I feel like it.

Thank you both for the top tipz, I'm on UK Saabs for the 9-5 although I'm not very 'active' as I prefer this bunch of morons.

The PVA tip is especially useful as I was thinking it would probably be quite 'porous'. After this dries, am I right in thinking I should be using spray-on adhesive for the fabric?

It is a salooooooon. I have got the headliner out of a Jag XJ40 before, I imagine it's similar - trim off, seats out? Think we had to take door trim off the Jag for extra space.

Parts-wise my current wish-list is NSF wing, door bottom trim whatsits, driver door and there will be more once I get stuck in. I imagine those bits are unlikely to be sitting in @Saabnut's boxes!!

On 7/13/2022 at 3:45 PM, Saabnut said:

Before recovering the "biscuit" in the headliner, scrape off the loose bits and seal it with a couple of coats of PVA otherwise it will droop again PDQ.

I have several* boxes of small 9000 parts so shout before buying!

The PVA is a great tip. It's made a crumbly thing much less crumbly and I'm just waiting on the fabric and spray then I can get the liner back into place. 

BANG, and the staples are gone!