Lyv! Kllekshunn Thred 400mi round trip

grogee

Mode 1 successfully completed. Mode 2: on foot to Leamington Spa station. 

This part of Leam (first pic) is a cluster fuck of traffic lights and yellow box junctions, I let @Cluffy off doing that shiz and walked instead. 

50 minutes to kill before train to Motor City, where I'll "de-train" and find a wheeled contrivance to Newcastle. 

PC: unchanged

Drinks: one espresso before I left, might grab another

Conditions: warm, cloudy, muggy

IMG_20220712_091435537_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220712_091750181_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220712_091926794_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220712_092048710_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220712_092351782.jpg

Ah, good old Leamington Spa. Very London-like architecture in places despite being 100 miles away from it. Seems to switch from ridiculously upscale to absolute shithole from one street to the next - it's like Tower Hamlets and Kensington had a baby.

31 minutes ago, Soundwave said:

Ah, good old Leamington Spa. Very London-like architecture in places despite being 100 miles away from it. Seems to switch from ridiculously upscale to absolute shithole from one street to the next - it's like Tower Hamlets and Kensington had a baby.

The nice bits have the Bath-like limestone architecture and as towns go it can be quite picturesque. 

The rotten bits (Lillington, Sydenham) are rough but residents of Toxteth and Cheetham Hill would laugh in the face of its roughness. 

The most confusing bit for me is where Leamington ends and Warwick begins - they've both spilled over into each other so it's difficult to be aware of any boundary. 

I used Split Ticket for this train journey, which ended up being £50 or so. It's confusing as fuck and relies on all the trains behaving themselves and 'dovetailing' reliably; the chances of this diminish exponentially with every connection. 

It's also bananas that to get the best value out of our privatised rail system, an AI algorithm 'games' the system to find the cheapest journey. Utterly bonkers, but to be fair the petrol to get back from Sunderland is going to cost significantly more than £50.

Screenshot_20220712-102524-229.png

Mode 4, Train #2 - indistinguishable from the previous train. I'm probably sitting in someone's reserved seat, but then someone's probably sitting in mine. 

I've got an hour and a half on this one so might have a nap. 

Despite the heatwave I brought an emergency jumper in case of over-zealous air con. Glad I did as this one feels chilly and it's not even departed New Street yet. 

IMG_20220712_105624902.jpg

IMG_20220712_105636967.jpg

23 minutes ago, grogee said:

I am looking forward to the guard telling me this "isn't allowed" or some such BS.

It'll be fine. Did exactly the same when travelling from Birmingham to Plymouth.
Same train, same seat, just four tickets for the same journey.
Was also worried re conductor but just checked and clipped them all.

23 minutes ago, hairnet said:

thats not ill thats insane :D

spesh if its british or french :D

400 miles tho will you be falling off the end?

rustbucket - @beko1987 is walking distance for those - why travel :D

I've reached Derby where people have started to talk proper Northern. 

On the platform here is a skinny teen wearing black jeans, Converse and long hair. I think he is me from 1993.

The collection 'victim' is neither British nor French, but other guesses are welcomed. I can tell you it has five forward speeds in Spanish waiter configuration. 

IMG_20220712_113935455.jpg

4 minutes ago, gm said:

which app / site did you use for ticket splitting ? i’m potentially looking for a similar bunch of tickets for this weekend :) 

safe travels 

I always used https://www.splitticketing.com/ but just to get the actual costs and train times.

Then https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ to buy the suggested tickets as above. Its a little bit cheaper per ticket and you can get a few more options re seat. (Has been a while though, so this may have changed)

15 minutes ago, gm said:

which app / site did you use for ticket splitting ? i’m potentially looking for a similar bunch of tickets for this weekend :) 

safe travels 

If you book through trainline it automatically splits your tickets these days 

19 minutes ago, gm said:

safe travels 

As GG says, the split ticket one. 

It worked out considerably cheaper than Trainline, so I'm not sure that's true Fabergé 

Train rant: it's quiet, comfortable (too cold in fact, but I'd prefer that to no A/C) and so far on time. 

But the WiFi is total garbage. I know this isn't the train's fault. There are lots of people on board. But we are supposed to be a developed nation and our cross-country data service is shocking. 

Trains are supposed to be places that people can work while they travel. Not at 300kbps they can't. 

The problem is our privatised networks. Rail will point at phone companies and say it's their fault. Phone companies point at government and say they don't have enough incentive to provide coverage. Government points at business and says 'be competitive'. Business sacks workers to stay profitable in a recession, and takes short-term decisions to protect shareholders. 

I could, of course, use my own data service. But between Birmingham and now Sheffield I've had zero signal (Vodafone).

Screenshot_20220712-121212-823.png