Cars that came back

Soundwave

I'm currently mulling the idea of buying my former Rover R8 216 back from the mate I sold it to, as he no longer needs it. I normally believe in not looking back and continuing forward, but I'm actually seriously considering the idea; I really liked the car first time around. If I buy it, it'll be the first time I've ever owned a car twice. Made me wonder, what cars have you owned more than once? And how and why did it happen?

Show us your repeat offenders, your boomerang shite, the turds that just won't stay flushed... :D 

20210412_212439.thumb.jpg.e73a85f9da432bce75fec940e3b624f7.jpg

1994 Fiat Tipo 1.4ie.  

From my diary:

1st February 2013  (My son) decided that he had had enough of his Peugeot 205's knocking front end and dashboard rattles. Its front suspension has recently been rebuilt with new parts at some cost and, although the car feels better, it still knocks slightly on sharp edged ridges and holes. He also needs a slightly larger car to carry work parts. Various Hyundai Elantras caught his attention until I casually mentioned a 24000 miles from new Fiat Tipo 1.4 advertised in Classic Car Weekly. A phonecall later and we were set to drive up to Sandbach to view the car on 3rd Feb.
3rd February  Drove up to Sandbach in the Peugeot. Pleasantly surprised by the Tipo. Its condition mechanically and bodily (inside and outside) all tended to confirm its very low mileage from new. Documents added verification. At £795, it seemed worth the risk. A deal was struck, deposit and 6 months tax funding paid and we arranged to collect next weekend. The car has 11 months MOT and no obvious faults. A new exhaust had been fitted for the MOT.

The Tipo was duly collected and put into regular use.

June 2018: I parted with my 1988 Stellar, meaning there was room on the driveway again.

30th August 2018:  My son's friend was having car trouble and needed a car to tide him over for a few months. The Tipo was offered to him for a reasonable sum (£600, I think).  

3rd January 2019: The Tipo's MOT was due towards the end of the month. My son arranged for it to be tested to see what needed doing. The friend was not willing to pour money into a temporary car, so the Tipo's future was uncertain, as was the certainty of it needing a fair bit of work. This was confirmed by the MOT failure list.

4th January 2019: I liked the Tipo enough to save it from being scrapped, so bought it for a nominal sum (£200), then paid a little over £400 to get all the MOT failure points attended to. It proved more cost effective, insurance wise, for ownership to be transferred to me but my son actually had ownership for a few days before we got the V5 changed to me. (We both live at the same address). 

11th July 2022: I've still got it. It gets regular use and is running fine. It recently passed 60K miles and I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere that I would take my modern car (2017 Mitsubishi Mirage Juro CVT).

Photo: In the Derbyshire hills whilst my son took part in a cycling event a few years ago.  The Tipo has a tow bar which is handy for his two bike cycle rack.  It may be used to transport my 1967 Peugeot BBCT moped to my brother's place in Cornwall in a month or two if the moped seems secure enough on the  very sturdy rack.

100_1632.jpeg

DSCN0212.thumb.JPG.b065a754e12a6fc326b404160e33bf68.JPG

Both of these! 

MR2 I bought off ebay, then my mate Dave saw it and I had to let him have it; 18 months later it came back to me because he'd seen my Saab and decided it was time he owned his first convertible.  MR2 suffered a fatal encounter with a Honda... :(

A further 18 months later the Saab came back to me in a swop for my Roffle-win Rover 75.  I sold it, and it came back to me again before being sold on for (so far!) the last time.

MR2 went to Copart and may have been resurrected.  Saab was last seen in the company of @Craig the Princess, from whom I got it in the first place!  75 disappeared into the outside world.

Years ago I was offered two of my old cars back, by the people I sold them to, but neither time could I justify the expense; my 1990 Chrysler leBaron convertible and my 1988 MG Maestro.  Which, incidentally, I had owned concurrently!

This piss yellow 106

I bought it via scaryoldcortina, without having much use for it.  Two days later I was asked if I would sell it to a local chap whose C Max had died.  It needed a wheelbearing so he haggled £50 to do it.

Nine months later he's moving away and needed to move the car on, so I went back and haggled the wheelbearing he still hadn't had done off again 😂

Seems ideal as a run around and we do technically all fit.

PXL_20220709_173610079.MP.jpg

Unfortunately no pics to hand. 

First would be the 1982 Cortina 2.3GL. Family owned from new, but it changed hands back and forth between my brother and myself. He had it three times I had it twice.

Volvo Amazon estate, I sold it to a friend on the provision that I had first chance if he sold it. I did buy it back after it had been off the road for a while, I got it back on the road, but unfortunately it got written off when it was parked. 

Austin A35, sold, bought back, sold again, bought back again and sold again. (Funnily enough it was up for sale again a few weeks ago, but I was in the process of moving house and not up for buying it again)

Moto Guzzi bike, I sold it to a mate, bought it back, then he had it back then I had it back before I sold it on.

Austin A40 Devon, I sold it to my mate, bought it back  he bought it back and it is now with another mate, but has been off the road for a few years now.