Shite Van - bought!

Timewaster

My impending house move, and the months of DIY that will inevitably follow make me think I could use a shite van in my life for a while.

Scouring t'bay brings up loads of scruffy transits with scabby arches and half a drivers seat, or Vitos with snapped cams.

For maximum shite points, I'm considering one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280465420478&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Quote:This would be a ideal van for any buissness and a exerlent weight carryer as it will take a ton and a quarter easerly.

There arnt many faults that i can think of, the drivers side speaker work when it feels like it, like i sead befor it has the odd dint and minamal rust but realy you shuld see it as its no where near as bad as it sounds.

Are LDVs really as shit as they look??

I quite fancy a Mitsubishi L300 mk1, but they seem as rare as Earnshaw Gumby Diamonds.

Any other sugestions? Budget around £500 and must be saleable in 6 months time.

Without even clicking that link I know the LDV will be wank.If you have to get one try and find a 200 series (if that's big enough) with the Perkins lump. Go like the clappers for a van and a bloody good laugh.Alas as much as I'd like to like LDVs they are shit and have comically bad finish/reliabilty and parts.The only option for a reliable working van is a Mk3 Transit 2.5Di in yiour price range.Sure the body work will be gaffer taped/filled/bady painted in places but they're bloody reliable and actually half decent to drive.

I had an LDV 400 Beavertail with the 2.5 Pug TD and it was brilliant. Knackered, but only because it'd clocked up plenty of miles. It coped with motorway speeds and was quite pleasant to tool around in to the honest.I've also driven a few-years-old Convoy with the Tranny engine and it was fuggin awful. A horrible vibration at speed and sod all power. Guess that's progress for you.

Yes LDVs are shit. Avoid.At £500 I'd be looking for a Transit or possibly Renault Trafic. They'll be tatty but should have some life left and have a chance of resaleability.Otherwise, if you can find a Sprinter which hasn't rotted away then they are easy enough to resell as they seem to be GR8 4 EXPORT. Reliable enough as well.

Guest greenvanman

The only option for a reliable working van is a Mk3 Transit 2.5Di in yiour price range.Sure the body work will be gaffer taped/filled/bady painted in places but they're bloody reliable and actually half decent to drive.

+1, Perkins-engined 200 if you really must. If you can manage to get a drive in an LDV 400 I guarantee you will quickly abandon any notion you ever had of owning one, even before you get to thinking about the build quality/reliability issues.

Hmm, not much LDV love here it seems.WOAH!, Hold on a mo...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/bedford-cf-van_W0QQitemZ160406617050QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Commercial_Trucks?hash=item2558fabbdaHow do you post ebay pics?!

i wouldnt p1sh on an ldv if it was on fire the one i had was total pants :shock: that ebay link would be a goer i love CFs bit thirsty but would do the job as good as a tranny, how about a ducato i really would have another one without hesitation

I srsly want an LDV, purely from a masochistic point of view. :lol: When doing loads of house 'works' I found my old land rover trucks were very useful, gr8 for loading up with ladders, timber, plasterboard, bags and bags of cement etc, plus taking all the waste away. :D

I'd love the CF, but the whole point of the van is that I've got a shit load to do in a relatively short space of time.Move house, new kitchen and bathroom, decorate the place, build a garage (although that bit is probably out of the window already)All before junior arrives in August :D So fettling a CF through an MOT isn't really an option. :cry:

Surely for true shite status it HAS to be a Beige Talbot Express/Fiat Ducato/Peugeot J9 (I think) with the wobbly gear linkage and "fall-through" light switches. Not forgetting the on/off exhaust sytems. Try for a petrol model too, for pure shiteness. Has to be a high roof LWB too. With Gaffer tape on the cracked GRP roof where it's been squeezed into an undersized petrol station forecourt. And rusty wheels. And a towbar.... I could go on, but I realised I already am.

In my 30 years of driving vans.......NOTHINGis as bad as LDV's, offset peddles, general disintergration, cost of parts etc, etc and they are shite to drive as well...

You've not tried an Iveco then? :lol:

I like my LDV Beavertail,Crewcab Pug td,carries up to its legal weight very well and even tows a trailer with a car on as well.Comfy enough for longish trips when racing away(160 ish miles each way). Cheap ,cheerful and does the job.Why pay a premium for a blue oval (sorry Fred) at the end of the day its horses for courses,I'd rather have the extra money in my wallet.

In my 30 years of driving vans.......NOTHINGis as bad as LDV's, offset peddles, general disintergration, cost of parts etc, etc and they are shite to drive as well...

You've not tried an Iveco then? :lol:
I havehad three of the old square job dailys, dogleg 1st gear, loved them to be honest, very powerfull but a bit thirsty...my fave was always the Fiat Ducatto second generation about 1998-2000 model, fast and handled great

I've defended Ivecos on here before based on the experience of the 2 Dailys we use at work as mobile workshops.However at 2 years old and 16k miles, one of them has a sliding door that doesn't, gears that hide and management light issues.I am begining to wonder about their longevity.And jeez do they DRINK diesel!Thanks for all the thoughts, I've even less idea what I want now. :wink:

If you can find one and you aren't going far get a V8 LDV, ex Met or Fire Service etc etc, they are effin brilliant and when you've done with it sell the engine and box to a kit car builder/someone V8-ing a MGB. Win win