Practical Classics Magazine

UglyAmerican

I think I only paid 2 quid the other week on Liverpool lime st station, but they call you "la" and make every cup a latte regardless of what you asked for!

"La" means you almost fitted in. Well done! *La is originally taken from Malay "Lah" meaning please or a polite inflection on a command. As for the latte, well, that's the best innit :)

I bought C&SC yesterday as I'm on holiday this week and its great. Full of stuff I'll never buy and can't afford so its a bit of an escape to fantasy car ownership! Theres still a place for good classic car magazines though but repeating endless buyers guides isn't the answer. The article on the Skoda museum in C&SC is interesting and something I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

"La" means you almost fitted in. Well done!

I lived there for a few years in the late 90's, so I've had a bit of practice - been years since anybody asked me to "spark us up a bifta" though :D I occasionally go back to the area round Moorfields for work these days, always look forward to a visit.

I do like Classic & Sportscar, it's the only mag where you could read about a Glas 1700GT, Isuzu 117 Coupe or Citroen M35 Wankel. Plus Buckley's column of course. Shame three quarters of it are adverts.

Thing is, those adverts pay for the articles about the rare stuff. It also caters to an international market, hence all the US/German/Dutch dealer ads. A guy who did freelance for CS&C said the editor is instructed to put one recognisable classic on the cover to appeal to the newsagent browsers, beyond that restriction the editorial staff are allowed to cover what they want, hence the interesting articles.

I think PC is not what it was. Hopefully Sam will still send in the occassional article, wonderfully written they are. I think that PC's editorial direction is not what the serious readers are looking for - by serious readers I am talking about subscribers - many of the articles are of the compare this with that type and do not go into sufficiant detail to interest the petrolhead. I for one am fed up of the "vauxhall vs ford" and the focus on everything that those who have seen "Life on Mars" may drool after...it all feels a bit lightweight. I would like to see more technical articles aimed at the casual mechanic rather that autobox rebuilds etc!mind you...Rust in Peace...excellent stuff!grovel grovel

I'm by no means what you'd call expert as far as working on cars go, but I'm an enthusiastic amateur and like doing jobs so I welcome the tips and "how to do it" type of piece. C&SC only touches on this kind of stuff in the Staff Cars section, whereas PC and Classics Monthly are supposedly aiming at people like me as well as the more capable mechanic. I don't think the team on PC seem as interested in doing this as they were under previous editors, and to be honest, the travelogue type of article is done much better by C&SC and Classic Cars, which is where I'd expect to find articles on a trip across the States.

I've kept hold of those little booklets PC do occasionally about garage basics as they're bloody handy. I've also kept every C&SC I've ever bought, whereas I've not kept hold of any old copies of PC. That pretty much sums up the difference for me.

That's the thing, a lot of cla**ic car magazines seem to be stuck in the 1980s, repeating tired old information about buying cars which were classics 25 years ago.

It just shows how old we are if you've read the same thing over and over again. The car and the information don't change, but the readership might so there are grounds for repeating it for new readers, hopefully in an interesting way. Just cos a mag did a piece about a Zodiac once doesn't mean it won't do any more.
I'm only 23, and I've read about those cars plenty of times in various magazines.

That's the thing, a lot of cla**ic car magazines seem to be stuck in the 1980s, repeating tired old information about buying cars which were classics 25 years ago.

It just shows how old we are if you've read the same thing over and over again. The car and the information don't change, but the readership might so there are grounds for repeating it for new readers, hopefully in an interesting way. Just cos a mag did a piece about a Zodiac once doesn't mean it won't do any more.
I'm only 23, and I've read about those cars plenty of times in various magazines.
Then you seriously need to party more.

I nearly choked on my £2.40 Costa Cappucino

WTF!!! £2.40, they cost £2.55 in Bath!

m0rris

:shock: I can't belive we are discussing Cappucinos on Autoshite.

Ironically the whole 'Practical Classics keeps repeating itself' argument keeps repeating itself on Autoshite.

My favourite era of Practical Classics was in the mid-to-late nineties, I thought that it might've been because thats when I really got into old chod but having recently acquired a few issues they really were better to read, no lazy 'ten starter classics under £5,000' type articles that plagued the last ten years and some really good articles about how things work and I quite liked Peter Simpson and Nick Larkin. I used to buy it every month but I hardly ever buy it now and as mentioned the internet gives me a fix of shite.

Classic and Sportscar does ok-the quality of their articles is obviously top-notch but I'm personally just not that interested in reading about certain cars that I'll never be able to afford and I find it aimed at a more affluent enthusiast. Classic Cars and Classics are ok although I find Classic Cars is stuck in the E-Type/Aston rut (ironically just after typing this I looked at Classic Cars website only to se E-Types on this months front cover lol :lol::roll: ) and classics mag is a bit anemic.

I'm a Holman/Leaper fan.. The stuff they do to cars makes me smile/applaud- pick up the paper to find one myselfNo other mag does that for me any more, but I guess I've been around too long -most cars dont hold any mystery for me anymore, so I'm increasingly turning to the''daft''/Having said that - I've just taken a quarterly sub to PC -but only to get the Ctek charger currently on offer. I'm out -as soon as its received.They doseem to make this offer around this time each year-and those chargers are marvellous for barn storage cars. I cant find anything better-just not prepared to pay the price. So-thanks to P.C for that..

I nearly choked on my £2.40 Costa Cappucino

WTF!!! £2.40, they cost £2.55 in Bath!m0rris
:shock: I can't belive we are discussing Cappucinos on Autoshite..... I quite liked Peter Simpson and Nick Larkin
Yes, how dare we discuss coffee - I saw a Talbot Solara recently! :) Nick Larkin always struck me as more of a bus nut than a car nut - a mate of mine called Mick Cotton often used to run into Larkin at bus rallies; Mick & Nick shared a passion for BMC farinas & old buses - the difference being, Mick's pair of roadgoing farinas were slightly overshadowed by the record breaking number that he raced in a 20+ year banger career - I don't think he ever introduced that topic to the conversation, seeing as Larkin tried to have the racing of old cars completely banned at one stage :shock: The thought of the two of them merrily chatting away about Leyland Leopards has always amused me... :lol:

Top bloke who's had some great fun with cars other, less enlightened folk think are rubbish! I remember Wilson the Wedge, and how upset everybody was when some pond-life broke in to the premises where his A55 was and vandalised it. Still enjoy his pieces for CCW and remember Popular Classics magazine very fondly.