Dabooka’s Topless Swede; all the fun of the Saab 9-3

Dabooka

Spent the day giving it a right good clean and even did some restorer on the plastic to bring it back up.  Looks pretty good (even though I know it’ll fade).

Identified some rust I need to resolve where water has been trapped in a seal for the roof, looked a lot worse than it is and the metal is actually pretty solid;

IMG_20230514_153006983_HDR_Original.thumb.jpeg.149e697b3d3280922261c6bf58d8e896.jpeg

Annoyingly there’s a bit of bubbling on the lip which is visible,  otherwise I’d sort it myself. Mind it was that which gave me heads up there was something amiss so I can;t complain too much.  The otherwside isn’t as bad and can be sorted by me;

IMG_20230514_153016436_HDR_Original.thumb.jpeg.4e803550e0079f004c44519921f8e9ee.jpeg

So dried up the seals, brushed away the loose flakes and refit for now.  Cleaned and treated all the seals whilst I was at it.  I’ll get some quotes to get the other side tidied up along with the bubbling on all four arches. 

Also taking it to work on Tuesday to get the tracking done and the A/C topped up.

Been a while but a few little things done. Recently had the tracking done which has helped but still some slight wobbly vibrations to figure out.  Unrelated I took the rear n/s wheel off as it appeared to have a slow puncture, and whilst I was there I noted a slight* hole in the back box;

IMG_20230807_145755849_HDR_Original.thumb.jpeg.f6c941459265873da8cc328b210c6cde.jpeg

Balls.  Whipped it off and the whole thing is fucked so a new genuine* replacement ordered from Neo Bros.  Arrived and fitted at the weekend (see if you can tell the difference).IMG_20230812_132240049_HDR_Original.thumb.jpeg.a6181cea9c4ab2d1d9cdcb802bcfa49b.jpeg

All shiney and also better placed than before too.  Rubbers aren’t great but they’ll do.

IMG_20230812_133736460_HDR_Original.thumb.jpeg.51eabd1dad0ff7a907c761d018d0b192.jpeg

IMG_20230812_133728288_HDR_Original.thumb.jpeg.35581efae597708ae92466d7edd9053d.jpeg

Also got the wheel back form my local Kwik Fit and was informed it wasn’t a leak but possibly a bit of corrosion. He’s cleaned it up, resealed it and all is good and wouldn’t take any money! He just did it when they quiet for something to do.

Additional bonus was he also rebalanced it and guess what’s gone now…

On 8/16/2023 at 8:18 AM, Vantman said:

@Dabookaand guess what’s gone now…

The exhaust centre pipe/box?

Nope, thankfully the wobble!

Had a few minutes spare earlier so thought I’d do the oil change and plugs.  Except my low profile ramps aren’t low enough (my drive is on a slant, so the ramps make it level. Ideal for these jobs).  I can’t be arsed to do it any other way so I’ll take it into work in a few weeks and get them to do it.

So on to the plugs. 1-3 came out easily (possibly too easily) and are clearly well overdue for a change, but the forth is in firm.  Being worried I’ll fuck something up I’ve left it for now but want to get it sorted at some point soon. Probably get it looked at the same time as the oil.  

• 4 weeks later...

Took it to work on Thursday for the oil change and not only did they plonk it on the lift they actually did everything for me. Didn’t even have to open the bonnet which was nice.

IMG_20230907_092026001_HDR_Original.thumb.jpeg.038fa92976a0d48fbdc9399696062096.jpeg

Tommy the Friendly* Tech seemed pleased to work on something a bit different.  Well worth a slab of lager to not be rolling around on the floor spilling oil all over the driveway.

IMG_20230907_093925801_PORTRAIT_Original.thumb.jpeg.2676b943c41ce4bade1df382162aa920.jpeg

A quick reset of the service reminder and another job done.  I may change it again in a few months as I’m not sure when it was last done, treat this is as a bit of a flush.  I’m at a bit on an impasse now as I’ve had it for the year and I can’t decide if I need to stick or twist.  My missus has me on a strict one in / one out.  I’ve scratched the Saab itch but it’s soooo nice to mooch about in.

If I keep I’ll sort some of the rust out and get it Noob’d.  Already got roofing dye but can’t find the waterproofing in the garage, this needs done regardless.

One thing worth checking out on these (as well as the Noob map) is the seal around the cabin air intake...... this is under the windscreen scuttle panel and water drains past it, the seal decomposes and water can then flow freely into the floor carpet.

I removed and resealed with some heavy duty roofing mastic when I had mine.

On 9/9/2023 at 10:38 AM, Saabnut said:

Get it Noobed and you will want to keep it at least another year. It will be like another car!

Just driven it to York and back this weekend and funnily enough that’s what I agreed with the missus. Worth the outlay to then decide!  That’s assuming it’s not utterly borked after this afternoon’s rainfall.

On 9/9/2023 at 4:17 PM, Wgl2019 said:

One thing worth checking out on these (as well as the Noob map) is the seal around the cabin air intake...... this is under the windscreen scuttle panel and water drains past it, the seal decomposes and water can then flow freely into the floor carpet.

I’ll do this, I want to remove the scuttle panel to give it a bit more colour anyway. Cheers!

On 9/9/2023 at 4:17 PM, Wgl2019 said:

I have a soggy floor.

Perfect info - ta!

• 1 month later...

As the Saab is being forced into action (as opposed to being tucked up under its cover), I thought I had better lavish a bit of TLC as a reward. Getting the AC checked seemed like a good idea at this time of year so off we went. :D

IMG_20231214_123549137_Original.thumb.jpeg.2f5ea0050e508c9ccccd005a297830ff.jpeg

IMG_20231214_123555479_Original.thumb.jpeg.f53d29ec89352d2dbe6bf56f3ac4d237.jpeg

IMG_20231214_145341661_Original.thumb.jpeg.1becd5790f0e812f5d37fae5c11fec86.jpeg

Not too bad, all checked out.  Pressure and vacuum maintained and about 340g of R134a needed (about half capacity). Now I just need to buy a tin of biscuits. 😆

17 minutes ago, Dabooka said:

As the Saab is being forced into action (as opposed to being tucked up under its cover), I thought I had better lavish a bit of TLC as a reward. Getting the AC checked seemed like a good idea at this time of year so off we went. :D

IMG_20231214_123549137_Original.thumb.jpeg.2f5ea0050e508c9ccccd005a297830ff.jpeg

IMG_20231214_123555479_Original.thumb.jpeg.f53d29ec89352d2dbe6bf56f3ac4d237.jpeg

IMG_20231214_145341661_Original.thumb.jpeg.1becd5790f0e812f5d37fae5c11fec86.jpeg

Not too bad, all checked out.  Pressure and vacuum maintained and about 340g of R134a needed (about half capacity). Now I just need to buy a tin of biscuits. 😆

Blimey I'd like to know where you're getting your R134a if 340g = a tin of biscuits! 

I bought some R134a substitute (because I'm not trade) and I think it was £40 for about 700g...

Perk of the job (Apprenticeship Manager for loads of stuff including Motor Vehicle).  Theoretically I’m supposed to make it good but they needed to do one for the qualification anyway, and we use what I think are 10kg tanks (it’s been a while since we ordered one so may have the wiring size).  

I’m actually needing to get the machine serviced which is proving a PITA, no one seems to want to touch them but one of the solenoids is jamming apparently.

The biscuits keeps my Friendly* technician happy 😀

• 2 months later...

Well another year’s MOT done, failed initially on a leaky fuel filter (well the union) but that’s sorted and no advisories.  I’ll take that.

Also replaced the radiator cap as the existing one decided to separate itself in to two pieces. Now I need some weather to get the roof and a few other bits resolved.  Decided I need a new motor in the NS mirror too plus some wiper blades.

IMG_0103.thumb.png.f5608df6dc9fc7149b613bc7aef7c6e8.png

Well done on the MOT pass.

Same happened to my radiator cap, tricky job getting it out.

As for mirror motors, do you mean power folding ones? If so, they all go senile and new ones are unavailable. The 'sod' motors are buried in that insulating putty stuff and replacement looks involved.

I'm really pleased, it was £100+ VAT for the filter and pipe repair which is sweet FA for a years motoring on a car this age but no advisories was nice to see.  I genuinely try and resolve things beforehand but it isn't easy  to keep on top of things. 

The mirror motor is the adjustable one rather than the powerfold but thanks for the informaiton as I'll stop chasing the reason why they don't work!  A new one already dleievred, ten quid for a pattern part.  I need to strip and paint them but that actually looks a real PITA with Saab over engineering it. I actually bought a cheap one from a scrapper on eBay just to see how they go together and it looks unnecessarily complex.

And that radiator cap took 55 BLOODY MINUTES! It just kept disintegrating and I couldn't get a purchase, needed to drill out the centre and pull from underneath. My missus was very supportive* throughout and did not take the piss out of my inability to perform a mundane task.

It's the actual mounts on mine, they appear to be aluminium and are quite badly coroded.  I'm thinking lots of protection, wire brush, primer and a rattle can which fills me with dread as I am 100% inept at anything involving paint 🤡