SHTE van - XUD Expert camper thread

Lacquer Peel

I got in 20 mins ago.

@Lacquer Peel has another 25 miles to go and will hopefully check in soon

A synopsis of the last leg..

We discovered that the filter head on the 850 had a loose pipe on the inlet side. Some electrical tape seemed to help it seat a bit better, but it was not a happy bunny.

IMG_20220622_164555569.thumb.jpg.e8218e911c545a6d49d3e883bb7c9ef9.jpg

With the a66 shut, we had to determine an alternative route..

We settled on heading up the a698 to the a69 then across to Carlisle to pick up the M6.

Things to note :

an 850 that is not running properly is not a fan of hills. 30mph in 3rd with a cloud of clag is no fun.

we pressed on, and made the M6 in good time.

I merged on at junction 44 and Wille Nelson singing "on the road again" came on the stereo.

Hope was high, and the miles slipped away.

About 45 mins from home I notice no @Lacquer Peel.

Fuck.

called him and the Expert had blocked it's fuel filter (there may be a theme here).

he got it going again by re-priming and limped it to j14 of the m74 where I was waiting

IMG_20220622_231045247.thumb.jpg.a42ceb1463dd77c2a0b73e1eb79a718b.jpg

He arrived in short order, then it was time for exciting torchlight repairs

IMG_20220622_232549882.thumb.jpg.60f99efa115de9f40d15f78ae708a37c.jpg

Primed and tested, it was a happy bunny.

Relieved we pressed on.

We had decided to drop the 850 at mine to save @Lacquer Peel a return trip to drop me off 

final scores on the doors for the 850. 718.9 miles in 17hrs.

IMG_20220623_002448428.thumb.jpg.e7127bd4f6d652f1fd17bfdb3f07a18a.jpg

Ahm awa to me pit

Despite my Scottish accent, and birthplace being the esteemed* Rutherglen Maternity, I have never piloted a Volvo in anger before.

Yes I have had the occasional shot of one, but I have never done distance in one.

That all changed yesterday - with me being handed the keys in 28 degree heat in Cottenham.

On the short run to the co-op for scran acquisition it felt very large but easy to place. The size feeling was likely due to my daily being a Clio.

We parked up and had lunch, then I set to getting the 850 into shape for my time at the wheel.

Ergonomics are good with plenty of seat adjustment, and a height adjustable wheel. Electric mirrors meant a decent rearward view was easily achieved.

Worth noting though that some of the switches (light switch/hazard and switch for the OBC)  are almost completely obscured by the steering wheel, though they do fall to hand easily once their location has been identified.

The clutch is very light, and easy to control on the bite. The gearbox snicks into gear confidently. The 5cyl idle is addictive and a bit rorty, significantly more aurally pleasurable than VWs 4 cylinder offerings.

The French sourced plastics like a good rattle - especially the dash top, however once identified they can be readily filed under "to be ignored". Anyway the decent stereo allows for the drowning out.

Underway, the damping was controlled, and the ride quality excellent. The brakes inspired confidence, and conferred the ability to maintain surprising momentum along the A roads we had to traverse.

Performance was a little down in this instance due to the aforementioned fuelling issues, but it was content to sit at the limit for mile after mile.

As the miles ticked down, I came to appreciate the sensible layout, spaciousness and expertly located arm rest. The miles were not hard.

Suffice to say, I've warmed to this 5pot warbler and it's attendant clag. It's easily as good at mile work as the s124 300D, and that's high praise.

TL:DR The SVM may be onto something with these Volvos - though the derv one is likely the one to have in the current fuel price environment.

32 minutes ago, 320touring said:

Despite my Scottish accent, and birthplace being the esteemed* Rutherglen Maternity, I have never piloted a Volvo in anger before.

Yes I have had the occasional shot of one, but I have never done distance in one.

That all changed yesterday - with me being handed the keys in 28 degree heat in Cottenham.

On the short run to the co-op for scran acquisition it felt very large but easy to place. The size feeling was likely due to my daily being a Clio.

We parked up and had lunch, then I set to getting the 850 into shape for my time at the wheel.

Ergonomics are good with plenty of seat adjustment, and a height adjustable wheel. Electric mirrors meant a decent rearward view was easily achieved.

Worth noting though that some of the switches (light switch/hazard and switch for the OBC)  are almost completely obscured by the steering wheel, though they do fall to hand easily once their location has been identified.

The clutch is very light, and easy to control on the bite. The gearbox snicks into gear confidently. The 5cyl idle is addictive and a bit rorty, significantly more aurally pleasurable than VWs 4 cylinder offerings.

The French sourced plastics like a good rattle - especially the dash top, however once identified they can be readily filed under "to be ignored". Anyway the decent stereo allows for the drowning out.

Underway, the damping was controlled, and the ride quality excellent. The brakes inspired confidence, and conferred the ability to maintain surprising momentum along the A roads we had to traverse.

Performance was a little down in this instance due to the aforementioned fuelling issues, but it was content to sit at the limit for mile after mile.

As the miles ticked down, I came to appreciate the sensible layout, spaciousness and expertly located arm rest. The miles were not hard.

Suffice to say, I've warmed to this 5pot warbler and it's attendant clag. It's easily as good at mile work as the s124 300D, and that's high praise.

TL:DR The SVM may be onto something with these Volvos - though the derv one is likely the one to have in the current fuel price environment.

depositphotos_187483462-stock-photo-asian-man-wearing-face-mask.jpg

2 hours ago, 320touring said:

the d5 common rail unit is a cracking lump, 50mpg on the motorway for a big bus...very waftable

11 minutes ago, GeordieInExile said:

On the one hand, my petrol T5 gets like 25mpg, not helped by the fact it's been stuck in sport mode since its last service.

On the other hand... that noise. My word.

You want that noise crossed with a locomotive and stationary industrial engines. 

• Lacquer Peel changed the title to International collection thread - SHTE van