2 strokes 4 wheels

grogee

Ok I thought I'd start a thread for the very few two-stroke cars (and vans?) that exist(ed).

Obvious ones for startersies:

- Trabby

- The other one (Wartburg?)

- Saab 96

- Suzuki SJ jeep (only learned this the other day from this thread)

- One of the Japanese micro vans, Honda Acty maybe?

What have I missed?

Quite a few early kei cars were 2 stroke: mostly Suzuki, Daihatsu, Subaru, and Mitsubishi. 2 Stroke kei cars were killed in the mid 70s with tightening emissions requirements, and the following change in the kei class up to 550cc. Honda and Mazda avoided 2 stroke engines entirely which helped them when emissions tightened, but did mean they were often slightly down on power compared to their 2 stroke rivals.

Suxuki: Suzulight, early Fronte, early Carry, early Jimny
Daihatsu: Fellow, early Hijet
Subaru 360, 450, R2, early Rex, early Sambar 
Mitsubishi: early Minica (including pickup, van, saloon and estate forms) 

These are all roughly 360cc 2 cylinder engines, designed for the kei market, with the exception of the Subaru 450, which is an export version of the 360 with a larger ~425cc engine (yep, I don't know either) 

1 hour ago, RayMK said:

Lloyd 200, 300, 400 & 500 (German).

Syrena (Polish)

Auto Union (German)

Subaru 360 (Japanese)

Aero (Czechoslovakian)

I lived in West Germany from 1966-69 (because Dad was in the RAF). Two stroke cars were still very common back then, with many Auto Union 1000 and DKW Juniors being spotted daily, plus the occasional Goggomobile.  Most of the Lloyds by then were of the later 4 stroke variety but I did see a couple of 2 strokes. I have never seen a Syrena or Subaru 360 in the flesh.  In the 1980s, I and a friend were considering buying a Tatra 603 (rear mounted, air cooled V8, 4 stroke),  which was advertised by a chap in Cardiff.  We went to see it but did not buy it - common sense over ruled temptation (or was it my wife's veto?). In the chap's large garage were other interesting cars e.g. a Jensen CV8, Skoda Felicia (=soft top early Octavia) and an Aero.  The Aero was two stroke and front wheel drive despite looking like a conventional open top1950s sports car.  We had never heard of the marque and it's the only one I've ever seen.  The  Wartburg Knight was a fairly common sight in the UK in the 1970s.  In the late 1950s, an old chap who lived near us in Anna Valley (near Andover) was still using a Trojan Utility (2 stroke) as his daily - with solid tyres if I remember correctly (I was about 9 years old at the time).

how about something a bit more obscure! I mean its got 4 wheels a 2 Stroke Villiers engine! its a Johnstone Miniature coach, and I singled out FPM 404, to show they really where road registered back in the day, and this one is even DVLA live :) 

image.thumb.png.77a23d31e0ce6dd65c8623b20f9bb190.png

amusingly its registered as a single decker bus and all, can you imagine trying to take it in for an MOT or a DVLA inspection

"ha ha very funny with the toy, now wheres the actual bus?"

"erm...."

9 minutes ago, grogee said:

Sure but you couldn't buy it

With enough money you can buy anything....

10628065_715591131847804_646319292183183

And your original post says....

Ok I thought I'd start a thread for the very few two-stroke cars (and vans?) that exist(ed).

[/pedant]

7 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

how about something a bit more obscure! I mean its got 4 wheels a 2 Stroke Villiers engine! its a Johnstone Miniature coach, and I singled out FPM 404, to show they really where road registered back in the day, and this one is even DVLA live :) 

image.thumb.png.77a23d31e0ce6dd65c8623b20f9bb190.png

amusingly its registered as a single decker bus and all, can you imagine trying to take it in for an MOT or a DVLA inspection

"ha ha very funny with the toy, now wheres the actual bus?"

"erm...."

I've seen these on British Pathé. Pretty cool things.

Frisky

JARC Little Horse/British Anzani Astra/Gill Getabout which led to the Lightburn Zeta. So really smug know it alls can say there was a 2 stroke Astra long before the 2 stroke Fiesta. 

Barkas

Turners of Wolverhampton did a 2 stroke diesel conversion for Land Rovers in the fifties before they did their own engine. Think Theodore Gillam might have one in his shed. 

Can we have the Marshall and Field Marshall tractors? 

Yes I know about the feckin Orbital engine! I worked in Ford Powertrain in the 90s. 

I was after series production vehicles preferably. 

Intrigued about a two stroke Land Rover conversion. What was the thinking there? That the standard one wasn't shit enough?