Unnecessary skinflint fixes/bodges, that look shit..

RoverFolkUs

Saw a T reg MK4 fiesta today, pretty insignificant, but it had a MK3 Fiesta square door handle fitted to the driver's door but the normal MK4 Fiesta round door handle on the passenger side...

What else have you seen, beit a bodge or modification, that someone has done to a car which makes it look really unnecessarily shit? 

A welded repair on the sills, instead of grinding it back, then having a neat sill tidemark, painting in underseal just a rhombus shaped bit over the repair. How much paint has that saved? 

Anything involving exhaust gun gum. When an exhaust has holes in it it’s fucked I’m afraid. 

Painted brake calipers/drums. Unnecessary and looks wank. Just reseal it and put the fucker back on. 

Most aerosol paint jobs. People always put filler over paint despite advice to contrary. 

Those car bra things to stop chips. On a 2005 Vectra. 

Aftermarket wheel trims. Once bought a car and the idiot had fitted fake proton trims on a Mondeo. To hammer home how wank they looked, after I’d signed the V5 I slung them in his wheely bin.

10 minutes ago, sierraman said:

A welded repair on the sills, instead of grinding it back, then having a neat sill tidemark, painting in underseal just a rhombus shaped bit over the repair. How much paint has that saved? 

Anything involving exhaust gun gum. When an exhaust has holes in it it’s fucked I’m afraid. 

Painted brake calipers/drums. Unnecessary and looks wank. Just reseal it and put the fucker back on. 

Most aerosol paint jobs. People always put filler over paint despite advice to contrary. 

Those car bra things to stop chips. On a 2005 Vectra. 

Aftermarket wheel trims. Once bought a car and the idiot had fitted fake proton trims on a Mondeo. To hammer home how wank they looked, after I’d signed the V5 I slung them in his wheely bin.

Bonnet bras seem to be a thing with the VW T5 scene. Literally every one I see has one. Pisses me off, as they look shit

When maestro vans were a common sight it wasn't unusual for them to have a secondhand chrome door handle instead of body colour. I guess they were harder wearing than the plastic ones but looked out of place.

Cars driving around with scrap yard yellow scrawl on obvious parts like mirrors or tail lights.

When Ford stopped producing mk1 fiesta tailgates, any mk1 fiesta with a hit at the rear got a new mk2 tailgate, which I always thought looked awful.

In the late eighties I worked with a guy who had a Mk 2 Capri. The bottom edge of the tailgate had completely rusted away. Someone he knew welded in and painted new metal for him. There was no old metal left to follow the profile of with the repair, so he made it look the same as his own car which wasn't a Capri. 

55 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Oopsies...

20210608_214338.thumb.jpg.203b3c6fb904d356e0b38fcc02e6e0a8.jpg

2 hours ago, Timewaster said:

When maestro vans were a common sight it wasn't unusual for them to have a secondhand chrome door handle instead of body colour. I guess they were harder wearing than the plastic ones but looked out of place.

Cars driving around with scrap yard yellow scrawl on obvious parts like mirrors or tail lights.

When Ford stopped producing mk1 fiesta tailgates, any mk1 fiesta with a hit at the rear got a new mk2 tailgate, which I always thought looked awful.

I've seen it the other way round with a Mk2 with a Mk1 tailgate.

Once I saw a Fiat Strada with a mixture of round & rectangular door handles.  I can't remember which one was the proper design for the car.

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

I thought it was the Seat Ronda that had square door handles?

I've done a bit of a Google image search and found most mk2 s with round handles and some with rectangular so now I am confused.

Remember this image when Fiat and Seat were splitting and there was a court case over custody of the Strada design, Seat took a black Ronda and painted all the unique Seat parts yellow. Including the door handles.

seat-ronda-7.jpg.b67dda19dc1d0441640a737b364577c8.jpg

57 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

I've done a bit of a Google image search and found most mk2 s with round handles and some with rectangular so now I am confused.

Remember this image when Fiat and Seat were splitting and there was a court case over custody of the Strada design, Seat took a black Ronda and painted all the unique Seat parts yellow. Including the door handles.

seat-ronda-7.jpg.b67dda19dc1d0441640a737b364577c8.jpg

I don’t think the Strada would have been considered an asset in any divorce situation. 🤣

My brother had a brown one, I can vaguely remember it’s a kid.

2 hours ago, Yoss said:

Visible cable ties holding on cheap aftermarket wheel trims! Waste of good cable ties that could have been used to hold more important things together. 

Don't know what I was thinking really, but I bought the alloys around the same time but hadn't fitted them until I passed my driving test.

9 hours ago, stripped fred said:

I would like a strada. This is autoshite after all. I love the design, and especially the wheels on this one.

Fiat-Strada-Ritmo-60-CL.jpg

I love Stradas too (my first ever car journey was in one), but a wheel design like that would make parking a real pain, I mean how long must it take to get them to line up?!